This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you a competitive player or a casual player?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Are you a competitive player or a casual player?

User Info: DasDavid

DasDavid
4 years ago#11
I went casual cause whatever, your poll I'll vote by your rules or abstain right?

But it could definitely be less black and white...
Latest SSB4 Dream Roster
http://i.imgur.com/N8YyxFd.jpg?1

User Info: MDS2005

MDS2005
4 years ago#12
smashman92 posted...
Joebot800 posted...
I don't compete in competitions but it seems I'm a mix of both.

Yeah, I think we need more options here
When I see human babies, I want to ragequit life.
You lack in the common English is an outrage.

User Info: ViviffTheZoned

ViviffTheZoned
4 years ago#13
The "average tournament player" would crush 99% of this board. Just because you don't like items and play on Final Destination does NOT make you a competitive player. It lumps in way too many people into the competitive community, then I have to hear about how terrible we are from casuals because they deal with other casuals who have never done anything competitive except beat their friends and read some message boards, but are huge elitist douche bags and think they're so awesome and wonderful and everyone sucks and you're playing the game wrong and blah blah. I don't care how you play the game, do whatever.

Stop lumping casual players in with the competitive community, it just keeps making us look worse even though it's just in-fighting from the causal community. This is by far the worst definition of "competitive player" I've seen yet.
[Zoned] Viviff the Great - Pro SSBB player.
GetZonedUp.com Use the promo code "viviff10"! Think. Do. Win.

User Info: originalhipster

originalhipster
4 years ago#14
ItsKaljinyuTime posted...
originalhipster posted...
Joebot800 posted...
I don't compete in competitions but it seems I'm a mix of both.

If you feel you are a mix of both, please list yourself as a competitive player.

Because a competitive player can easily haves some things pertaining to casual players listed above apply to him but vice versa is usually not true.

Oh and you don't have to go out and compete in tournaments to be a competitive player.

What if you can hold your own in competitive play, and have studied it, but would rather be doing casual stuff?

You'd have to prove to me that you are what you claim because every-time I've heard someone claim they could do well in competitive play but prefer casual play, I ask for a few matches and they get completely destroyed with me barely trying making me realize they didn't actually know much about competitive play at all, just thought they'd did because they could beat their (also casual) friends.

So forgive me but I've become pretty skeptical over these kinds of comments over the years.
I was a hipster way before it was cool.

User Info: juanyiyi

juanyiyi
4 years ago#15
ViviffTheZoned posted...
The "average tournament player" would crush 99% of this board. Just because you don't like items and play on Final Destination does NOT make you a competitive player. It lumps in way too many people into the competitive community, then I have to hear about how terrible we are from casuals because they deal with other casuals who have never done anything competitive except beat their friends and read some message boards, but are huge elitist douche bags and think they're so awesome and wonderful and everyone sucks and you're playing the game wrong and blah blah. I don't care how you play the game, do whatever.

Stop lumping casual players in with the competitive community, it just keeps making us look worse even though it's just in-fighting from the causal community. This is by far the worst definition of "competitive player" I've seen yet.

By far?
"If FE is so good why did it take so long to get to the west? Because it's mediocre."
-Davidk92 The most stupid thing I've read

User Info: originalhipster

originalhipster
4 years ago#16
ViviffTheZoned posted...

I'm well aware of that. I didn't even list FD because I'm aware it's not the only legal stage in competitive play, you are making baseless assumptions. That's also why I said you could somewhat hold your own, not beat them, that's not likely if you don't have much experience at that level.

If I had asked are you a "decent" competitive player that can place somewhat well at tournaments as you said, I already know 99% of the answers would be no.
I was a hipster way before it was cool.

User Info: DasDavid

DasDavid
4 years ago#17
juanyiyi posted...
ViviffTheZoned posted...

By far?

Let it go mane. If I remember, this here is a professional gamer, so we can't touch him =o
Latest SSB4 Dream Roster
http://i.imgur.com/N8YyxFd.jpg?1

User Info: SearchBomber

SearchBomber
4 years ago#18
-I play Smash without using "advanced techniques"
-I don't think that Smash is a very good competitive game, and disagree with many of the stage bans that the competitive scene makes
-I'm interested in how the game works and how the characters are designed
-I don't give a damn about nostalgia value
-I tend to side with competitive players in "casual vs competitive" debates

Where does that put me?
Play Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary.
It's a good game.

User Info: ViviffTheZoned

ViviffTheZoned
4 years ago#19
Yes. The definitions literally give you a choice if you have any overlap in the two, that alone is a fatal flaw. Being a competitive player is not something you just get to label yourself. You actually have to go and be a competitive player to be a competitive player. There is a big difference between "likes to win against his friends and thinks they're great", and "plays online against top talent, attends tournaments, continues to research the game and attempt to be the best player they can be against other players doing the same."
[Zoned] Viviff the Great - Pro SSBB player.
GetZonedUp.com Use the promo code "viviff10"! Think. Do. Win.

User Info: Terraforce777

Terraforce777
4 years ago#20
Looks like Casuals DO outweigh the competitives, even here on GAMEFAQS. WOW, sure surprised me.
---
People these days...
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Are you a competitive player or a casual player?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived