This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AR: Super Smash Brothers...By EA?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. AR: Super Smash Brothers...By EA?

User Info: Blezcuea

Blezcuea
4 months ago#1
In the year 2001 Masahiro Sakurai died to heart complications three days after the release of Melee...

The game sold really well and was one of the GameCubes Bests Sellers...Thus warranting a third smash game.

Iwata enlisted himself to work on the game, however the workload was getting too much for him and his team...The deadline was fast approaching and all hope for this game getting finished was starting to fade...

EA stepped in to help...however...Through various business tactics they soon owned the Smash Brothers trademark...It was out of Nintendos hand now

Super Smash Brothers. Melee: 2 was a different game compared to Melee, first the game lacked Nintendo characters, as EA only owned the name. the default roster contained only Four characters...Urging players to pay for a starter pack of 4 more characters.

Second the games engine and physics were remade from scratch...making it "Play like Melee...But somehow worse...", the game had glitches that made playing it a chore. One character, Robert, crashed the game if he used his "Deflector" to detonate a bomb.

Third the game used an odd Pay model, having most of the characters AND features behind a Pay wall, one of which was the previously mentioned Robert, players could pay for a 1 month subscription fee or a 1 year "season pass"...that only enabled online play for a year despite it advertising "Access to all characters and features when they come out"...Players still had to pay for characters even though they bought the pass...The demand for refunds fallowed shortly.

Super Smash Brothers. Melee: 2 was regrettably the last game in the smash series, with EA pretty much keeping the trademark under lock and key.
Faith in Humanity: Somewhere is the Negatives

User Info: FrankiesInc2

FrankiesInc2
4 months ago#2
https://youtu.be/JncgoPKklVE
I am FrankieInc's alt, don't mind me.
R E M O V E A N I M E A !

User Info: Oil_Panic

Oil_Panic
4 months ago#3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
- God-like being, Futurama

User Info: Ranticoot

Ranticoot
4 months ago#4
bad
Born to lose, live to win!
Certified bandicoot enthusiast.

User Info: Fur

Fur
4 months ago#5
a hypothetical situation like this would make one appreciate brawl even just a tiny bit more
no i'm not a furry

User Info: Liquidy_Snake

Liquidy_Snake
4 months ago#6
Would it still be on the blessed Wii U
I like to pretend I can do a janpuu dance

Blezcuea
4 months ago#7
Liquidy_Snake posted...

Melee 2 had a exclusivity contract with Microsoft, making it only available on 360

There were plans to Port Melee 2 to other consoles but...those plan never came to light

User Info: Liquidy_Snake

Liquidy_Snake
4 months ago#8
Blezcuea posted...
Liquidy_Snake posted...

Melee 2 had a exclusivity contract with Microsoft, making it only available on 360

There were plans to Port Melee 2 to other consoles but...those plan never came to light

Why would they put it on an inferior platform
I like to pretend I can do a janpuu dance

Blezcuea
4 months ago#9
After EA "Acquired" the name of Super Smash Brother. they had some trouble...Namely the fact the project had no other companies backing them and money was running dry, and in comes Microsoft who would fund the project...however EA had to sign on to release the title on 360, after several months of vague development info Super Smash Brothers. Melee: 2 was released on June 9th 2008

Blezcuea
4 months ago#10
Melee 2's main "selling point" was it's roster of over 100+ Characters...The Games actual roster was more near 16 characters...Far less then Melees roster of 25

The other "Characters" were Alternates of the 16, one the more infamous being "Golden Vince" who was pretty much just Vince but with a Gold texture...This "Character" costed $50

the entire roster was 16 characters and 86 "alternates" players had to buy
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. AR: Super Smash Brothers...By EA?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived