This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Smash Switch: Possible Candidates - Part 1, Super Mario series

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Smash Switch: Possible Candidates - Part 1, Super Mario series

User Info: 1-UpGirl

1-UpGirl
3 weeks ago#41
albertojz356 posted...
1-UpGirl posted...
Pauline: An NPC who is important in a single game. Has no powers and is impossible to make a moveset for.

Rosalina: A character who, by the time she got into Smash, was playable in a main Mario game, and a lot of spin offs. Has a lot of powers and has an interesting moveset.

Daisy: Has been important in 3 Mario games (Mario spinoffs are canon, so they do count) and has a lot of moveset potential. She is the 2nd most iconic Mario girl and 2nd most iconic female in video games.

See? If Daisy gets into Smash, it would make sense. Pauline would be an assist trophy at the greatest.

What game is that?

Mario Odyssey. She wasn't really important in DK or the Mario vs. DK games. She was a damsel in distress, which is something, but she didn't do anything really. (Unlike Peach and Daisy, who were damsels in distress too, but did something)
Daisy and Rosalina for Odyssey!

User Info: Agabon

Agabon
3 weeks ago#42
ThatAnvil posted...
You should really practice how to form an argument. Your post is all over the place and contains false viewpoints I don't even have. Oh well, let's begin...

I'm gonna have fun with you...

ThatAnvil posted...
Rosalina & Luma are what's known as a puppet fighter, a type of fighter seen in several other fighting games. Their fighting style is completely different from the duo style of the Ice Climbers. Also, Rosalina & Luma were one of the first newcomers Sakurai decided on (along with Robin and Duck Hunt), back when he also planned on having the Ice Climbers return as well. The Ice Climbers were removed later on due to technically difficulties, not at all because of Rosalina's inclusion.

That's exactly what I meant. I knew very well that the 3DS wasn't capable of handling the Ice Climbers. Rosalina & Luma were the next best alternative. You need to cite the evidence where R&L were considered first thing. I know Duck Hunt was. Robin replaced Chrom early-mid development.

ThatAnvil posted...
I really don't think you know what drag means. Yes, her original role was damsel in distress, but the same could be said for Peach and Zelda.

https://www.google.com/search?q=drag+dress&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqy--5_bbWAhUJ4oMKHUN6D-0Q_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=662
No duh about Peach and Zelda. In later games, they actually have a layer of personality, have responsibilities, and evolve from solely being a simple objective just for the protagonist to save. Pauline as a mayor for New Donk City, it is pretty big, but she doesn't rule an entire continent. She rules New Donk City, but not the Metro Kingdom itself..

Agabon posted...
But Duck Hunt is just a regular dog and a duck, how'd THEY get into Smash?

Duck Hunt is at least iconic to a degree and actually represents an era. Pauline is just known because she's the first girl Mario saved. If you show any picture of Pauline to a regular person, they'd just say "that girl from Donkey Kong".

ThatAnvil posted...
This is where you lost me. I completely understand why Duck Hunt was added until Smash and think they were a great choice. And no, it wasn't to replace Ice Climbers, for the same reasons I mentioned earlier. Also, you could show literally any SSB4 newcomer besides Pac-Man and Ryu to a regular person and there's a very good chance they won't know who it is. We're talking about a sequel to the game that added Robin, Palutena and Shulk as a newcomers - not exactly household names here. So that really isn't a point against Pauline, but rather, a general statement about potential newcomers that could be added to SSB5.

I didn't say that they replaced the Ice Climbers. I meant that people could've considered them as an Ice Climbers alternative. The level of a character being recognizable/relevant/imprortant actually is a point against Pauline. She's not popular, she's a low-priority to the Smash roster, she doesn't represent an era, and she's regular everyday human, which doesn't really strike a decent moveset potential.

Then how did Villager get in?

The Animal Crossing universe/setting as a whole is more interesting than a real world(?), regular woman that uses her purse or sentient Mario toys as attacks. And a lot of Animal Crossing characters are more popular and recognizable than Pauline anyways, so I guess we should put them in as well.

User Info: ThatAnvil

ThatAnvil
3 weeks ago#43
Agabon posted...
That's exactly what I meant. I knew very well that the 3DS wasn't capable of handling the Ice Climbers. Rosalina & Luma were the next best alternative. You need to cite the evidence where R&L were considered first thing. I know Duck Hunt was. Robin replaced Chrom early-mid development.

Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt were both in the project proposal seen here: http://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/04/english-smash4-project-proposal-slides/

Since Ice Climbers weren't removed until later on during development, there's no way Sakurai added those two with the thought of having them serve as a replacement or alternative to the Ice Climbers.

Agabon posted...
https://www.google.com/search?q=drag+dress&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqy--5_bbWAhUJ4oMKHUN6D-0Q_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=662
No duh about Peach and Zelda. In later games, they actually have a layer of personality, have responsibilities, and evolve from solely being a simple objective just for the protagonist to save. Pauline as a mayor for New Donk City, it is pretty big, but she doesn't rule an entire continent. She rules New Donk City, but not the Metro Kingdom itself..

Notice how a majority of the image results are men.
Anyways, you're digging too deep. They aren't measuring how much of a fictional landmass the character owns, but rather, the character's importance in the game. Pauline has been shown more than any other NPC so far (besides Peach and Bowser, obviously) and seems to have a pretty major role in the game. If this game boosts her popularity, like Galaxy did for Rosalina, then yes, there is a chance she'll catch Sakurai's eye when he creates the roster for SSB5.

I'm not even addressing your point about Animal Crossing because again, you used a viewpoint I don't have. All I will say is that Villager deserves to be in Smash, and the series definitely deserves a new character in Smash 5.
"Who uses smh to mean shaking my head?" - Garglemon
A dragon never yields.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Smash Switch: Possible Candidates - Part 1, Super Mario series

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived