Pikmin color balance: improved in Pikmin 3?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pikmin 3
  3. Pikmin color balance: improved in Pikmin 3?

User Info: T_Info

T_Info
3 years ago#1
I have played Pikmin 1 and 2 extensively but have yet to play Pikmin 3. (More an issue of budget/time...hoping to play eventually).

Anyway, I was curious how well balanced you feel the Pikmin types are in Pikmin 3. For example, I thought Pikmin 1 was pretty well-balanced. Reds had the least useful "power," but their *slightly* better fighting strength made up for it. Blues were all about water. Yellows weren't required in large numbers like the other colors, but they required extra micromanaging due to bombs. To me, this all meshed together pretty well.

Meanwhile, Pikmin 2 was more unbalanced, to me. Purples were way too powerful, such that I would only use purples most of the time, then begrudgingly trot out 4 or 5 of another color when an obstacle required them. And then the whites. Their most interesting power--poisoning enemies when eaten--hardly factored in. It was more a silver lining when you made mistakes than an actual strategy.

So my question is: how is the balance in Pilmin 3? Do the various colors fit together, and do they each seem to serve a useful role?
sig

User Info: SSBMaster11

SSBMaster11
3 years ago#2
I'd definitely say it's improved compared to Pikmin 2. Whites and Purples were way too good. Bomb rocks are no longer restricted to just one color, so that removes some of the Yellow Pikmin's effectiveness, but there are enough electric puzzles to make them still relevant. If i had to pick, I'd still say Reds are the least useful, but they're nowhere near as worthless as they were in Pikmin 2. All types have their uses in Pikmin 3.
Challenge Mode scores: 278(perfect!), 569 (perfect!), 433, 459, 299(perfect!) Overall: 2038
All the info is there, except the info that isn't there.

User Info: Razum

Razum
3 years ago#3
Red's still do the most damage when they cling on to something and they still have fire immunity.

Yellow's are used mostly for out of reach items and electric gates, but 1 electric based enemy and a boss that uses yellows in the fight make them well used.

Blues fill the exact same roles as previous.

Winged I believe do the least damage, but they are the ultimate utility pikmin.

Rock does great damage when thrown, but they can't cling. Because of the rock body, they are immune to many attacks that would kill the others. For the most part they are the best offensive pikmin, but they aren't overwhelmingly powerful like purples were in 2.

I'd say the balance is pretty well improved compared to 2.
3DS FC - 2406-5149-2592
UMvC 3 Teams: Haggar/P.Wright/Spencer - Haggar/Shuma/Felicia - Haggar/Hulk/Sentinal

User Info: G23Non45

G23Non45
3 years ago#4
Great analysis of the balancing in the last two titles, I totally agree about the poison. Overall I would say this game is well balanced. I was concerned that Rock would end up being the Purple of this title but they even nerfed them in challenge mode. Best Pikmin overall, give it a try!

User Info: Danspurt

Danspurt
3 years ago#5
I found myself often taking an equal amount of each Pikmin into each level. Winged Pikmin are great for flying enemies as they can charge them through the air, and always take a shorter route than anyone else back to the base. Blue Pikmin also head through the water whenever possible, making their routes short as well. They can also swim if you charge a swimming enemy, making them interesting to use.

The Rock Pikmin stun enemies. I find them effective on all kinds of Bulborbs, especially whiptongue, since it makes it unable to attack for a moment after you hit it.

Red is as you expect. Fire resistance and good fighters. And yellow have optimal range, but still pack a punch.

I feel like every kind has its use. White and Purple not so much though; it feels like their entire purpose in Mission Mode is to act as a fast, weak Pikmin and a strong, slow Pikmin, respectively. Which has its uses when bringing back items.
http://i.imgur.com/roYmB8D.png

User Info: Razum

Razum
3 years ago#6
Danspurt posted...
The Rock Pikmin stun enemies. I find them effective on all kinds of Bulborbs, especially whiptongue, since it makes it unable to attack for a moment after you hit it.

Not quite. Rock pikmin actually don't have any stun involved with their attack. What you're noticing is when you throw a pikmin (any type) onto a bulborb's (also any type) eye, it stuns them for a couple of seconds.
3DS FC - 2406-5149-2592
UMvC 3 Teams: Haggar/P.Wright/Spencer - Haggar/Shuma/Felicia - Haggar/Hulk/Sentinal

User Info: Danspurt

Danspurt
3 years ago#7
Razum posted...
Danspurt posted...

Not quite. Rock pikmin actually don't have any stun involved with their attack. What you're noticing is when you throw a pikmin (any type) onto a bulborb's (also any type) eye, it stuns them for a couple of seconds.

Is that so? Heh, and I always resorted to Rock Pikmin whenever I had to fight one face to face... I guess it was just convenient that they didn't latch on, so I could just keep spamming.
http://i.imgur.com/roYmB8D.png

User Info: Magnemight

Magnemight
3 years ago#8
T_Info posted...
And then the whites. Their most interesting power--poisoning enemies when eaten--hardly factored in. It was more a silver lining when you made mistakes than an actual strategy.

Whenever I was fighting an enemy that was rather difficult to dodge around, like a Snagret, I would use Whites for their speed. Being able to manuever them around you as you run at full speed is quite handy. The speed is their primary purpose in Challenge Mode, too; put 'em on a nugget pile and they'll demolish it posthaste.

And I find that Winged Pikmin are a tad bit overpowered in this, though not quite to the level of Purples in Pikmin 2. Being able to go over water, carry things over a lot of obstacles, and being able to easily and safely swarm a lot of enemies to death is quite handy. They also have a much easier time following a Captain around. The lowered damage is relevant, but they're still incredibly strong in numbers, and they make killing Snagrets the easiest thing ever. They're a bit like the opposite of Rock Pikmin.
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Check out the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243

User Info: MostlyNintendo

MostlyNintendo
2 years ago#9
Red's still do the most damage when they cling on to something and they still have fire immunity.

Yellow's are used mostly for out of reach items and electric gates, but 1 electric based enemy and a boss that uses yellows in the fight make them well used.

Blues fill the exact same roles as previous.

Winged I believe do the least damage, but they are the ultimate utility pikmin.

Rock does great damage when thrown, but they can't cling. Because of the rock body, they are immune to many attacks that would kill the others. For the most part they are the best offensive pikmin, but they aren't overwhelmingly powerful like purples were in 2.

I'd say the balance is pretty well improved compared to 2.

I agree completely. Pikmin 2 had the overpowered Purples with their massive DPS when thrown (+ stun). Reds were only useful if you had to charge the enemy (or if it was on fire like the Fiery Bulblax [but I remember still being able to kill them with Purples geez]).

Rocks are the more balanced version of Purples in Pikmin 3. They don't stun, and the recoil effect is rare. They are almost as dangerous when thrown, but they can't latch on. And when they fight close combat, it's really weak damage that balances them. Pinks I thought were kinda overpowered not in combat ability but because they are immune to nearly everything that's on the ground. Whites were very weak combat wise but at least they can dig, so that's something, I guess.
  1. Boards
  2. Pikmin 3
  3. Pikmin color balance: improved in Pikmin 3?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
The final level is awfulThe_MCX16812/10 7:00PM