How is rune factory 3 compared to 4?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Rune Factory 4
  3. How is rune factory 3 compared to 4?

User Info: xblazingsoulx

xblazingsoulx
1 month ago#1
I've thought about checking out the other iterations in the series, how is 3 compared to 4?

User Info: glitchXII

glitchXII
1 month ago#2
It'd probably be the easiest to adapt to from RF4's gameplay compared to 1 and 2. It's been a long time since I've played the older ones but from what I can remember, playing the older ones may be difficult due to the changes since the first
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Pc, what the heck does it matter what we play on? FC: 3496-9744-9813
DD:DA (XOne) pawn: Luna

xblazingsoulx
1 month ago#3
glitchXII posted...
It'd probably be the easiest to adapt to from RF4's gameplay compared to 1 and 2. It's been a long time since I've played the older ones but from what I can remember, playing the older ones may be difficult due to the changes since the first

I'm more thinking of 3 for now, I remember hating rune factory 1 on the wii. From what I've seen people are wishy washy about 3, some say the characters are great other they are the gimmicky, some of the background characters are bad, etc. I also hear its super short. What do you think?

User Info: VincentHideyo

VincentHideyo
1 month ago#4
rune factory frontier and tides of destiny are the only wii released titles other than that one through four released on the ds or 3ds
FC: 3797-9308-4694

User Info: glitchXII

glitchXII
1 month ago#5
Frontier (the first Wii one), was a sequel/off shoot to the original RF. The main RF games are all DS games with the exception of 4. I can't really remember personally how long each of the games are as it has been years since I've played them.
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Pc, what the heck does it matter what we play on? FC: 3496-9744-9813
DD:DA (XOne) pawn: Luna

User Info: Acorn3

Acorn3
1 month ago#6
Most things in RF3 are simplified compared to RF4. I'm thinking of farming and forging, in particular. For that reason, I don't feel compelled to reset for a better outcome. I think that's why the game seems shorter. You can spend a whole day or even multiple days just fighting or fishing, for example. I spent at least 40 hours playing this game the second time, which was recently, and considerably longer the first time. So, not really short for an RPG.

It's only the marriageable girls that are quirky, imo. That doesn't bother me, personally. I like nearly all of them.

xblazingsoulx
1 month ago#7
Ok but back to the topic at hand, how do you guys feel about 3 compared to 4, hows the story, characters, etc?

User Info: Revvie-chan

Revvie-chan
1 month ago#8
Nah, Rune Factory 3 was way shorter and easier.
- Story
Rune Factory 3 story focuses on joining the town of Sharance and the Beast Settlement again in hope of blooming the tree of union (Sharance Tree, your house.) Story-wise it's relatively short, with only the "making the bouquet" part that will take time. (nope, getting girls hearts' to 10 are very easy lol)
and after that choosing someone to marry for the sake of end game (of marriage.)

While in Rune Factory 4, it focuses on Ventuswill: her trueself, her relationships with the guardians, her opening herself to the village, and after all that she dies and you have to do bunch of forging and grinding to get the equipment to win her back.

- Length of play, gameplay
Rune Factory 3 introduced only two new things to RF, but both were big things:
- The current movesets: it was the first RF games with dual-blades, and reworked the motions of other tools so that they move faster. (Unlike RF 1 and 2 where they were effing slow, even the broadswords.)
- Sharance Maze. The gem of Rune Factory after it moved a little bit away from the classic 3x3 harvest moon farming.
Rune Factory 3's main story, as I said, was short. I once did an all-nighter and finished the main story in 20 in-game days. (but just one girl with 10, usually I'll 10 all the girls first before choosing who I want. Also I'm pretty maniac at RF3, so...)
But there's Sharance Maze, which is the greatest thing they've ever did to this series. (other than the kids at RF 2.)

Rune Factory 4 is designed... like the producers knew this will be the very last game (I hope not :()
So, not only they cameo all the previous bosses inside the story (in RF 3, these bosses did appear, but not in the main storyline.)
imo, the quickest someone can finish 2nd arc is by early summer. Sometime faster if you get lucky.
Rune Factory 4 postgame (Sharance Maze) has definitely way more meat than RF3. Also, farming actually matters again (in RF3 it's not, you'll see what I meant after you play it.)

- Characters
But here's where Rune Factory 3 is the best at: the characters, especially the set of eligible bachelorettes, they are the best!
That's why I always take my time 10-ing all the girls before picking one. Because: while I have a clear favorite, I love them all. (except Shara, whom I always ignore lol.)
and that's also why I always replay this game from time to time even though I've finished it for god-knows-how-many-time. The characters are very fun. The quests and events are lovely.
Rune Factory 3 is sort of designed... like it's a dating sims. the end story involves saving your bethrothed from a dragon lol, and the end game is your marriage to her So, they put extra care in making sure that everyone are lovable.

Rune Factory 4's story focuses on Ventuswill. So, while everyone get a certain depth (and ofc,they're still lovable.) Ventuswill gets the most development.
And while you still can >10 all the eligible marriage candidates, the game encourages you to only choose 1 when you've reached a certain point in your relationship with them. (though people don't care anyway lol.)

sorry for long post.
It's just... when someone ask about one of my favorite games of all time (RF 3) I cannot help not to answer.

ps.: RF1 was great. You must be playing Frontier, the one at Wii. The original Runey system was too difficult to casual people. But at least it had best OP song, best final battle song, and a bunch of underrated cast who got overshadowed by the characters of RF1 that reappeared. Also Frontier was the only game that managed to get me killed by a chicken.

xblazingsoulx
1 month ago#9
Revvie-chan posted...
Nah, Rune Factory 3 was way shorter and easier.

Rune Factory 3 is sort of designed... like it's a dating sims. the end story involves saving your bethrothed from a dragon lol, and the end game is your marriage to her So, they put extra care in making sure that everyone are lovable.

Wait so does the end game for rune factory 3 only happen after you start dating or marriage? Because I know there's a "main girl" like in Frontier, I gave up on that game because I was spending half my day balancing runey and didn't have much time for anything else. Plus that girl Rosetta started to like me just because I was tending my fields when her would pick up my shipments, hated her tsundere attitude but anyway. So does it take your wife to be and kidnap them?

I've beat rune factory 4 arc 3, 2 times now only because its a pain in the rear but I've experienced all bachelorettes marriages, doing Clorica again for the heck of it cause I'm bored. Wish Amber could be replaced by Illuminata, Amber just seems too childish. I also hate rune factory 4's event system and how certain ones are required for marriage, spent 1 year waiting for Language of Flowers for Dolce. I'm just looking at other entries in the series but mostly 3 because I like the series. If its short I don't feel like its worth 50 bucks on Amazon and I can't find it locally so I don't know what I'll do.

User Info: RazorDoomX

RazorDoomX
1 month ago#10
Technically, Rune Factory 3's end game happens AFTER you confessed to the bachelorette of your choice. After that your fiance got kidnapped, and yeah that's the end game. You need to go through the last dungeon before finally able to marry her.

The game itself is really good though. My favorite rune factory game after Rune Factory 4. Very likeable bachelorettes(well, Shara's an exception for me. She seems disturbing somehow), and the events are not randomly generated, by that i mean you don't need to wait until RNGesus bestows upon you your wanted event. The game is not necessarily short, but if you're comparing it to the overwhelming content of Rune Factory 4, it definitely feels like some short of a demo for Rune Factory 4. 50 bucks though, is too much IMO for it, maybe try searching for a used cartridge somewhere.
FC:0920-0186-0544
Wield the sword!
  1. Boards
  2. Rune Factory 4
  3. How is rune factory 3 compared to 4?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived