What's the difference between zoning and keepaway?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  3. What's the difference between zoning and keepaway?

User Info: Freeze_Flare

Freeze_Flare
5 years ago#1
I'm not really familiar with some fighting game terminology here (I only play them casually). But I am getting this game since I never played the original version. And I keep hearing these terms on certain characters. But what I'm wondering is what's the difference between these two? From what I gather, both mean that you attack your opponent form a distance. I just want to know what makes zoning and keepaway different from one another. Thanks in advance.

User Info: Karsticles

Karsticles
5 years ago#2
Zoning is space control, keepaway is ensuring you have as much distance between you and your opponent while dealing damage. Sentinel is a zoner - his normals have huge range, allowing him to control the immediate space around him. He's not keepaway though, and couldn't hope to keep a character away if his life depended on it. Deadpool is keepaway.
My Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/3sym7tp
Support BoF2 Nina for UMvC3 DLC! - my fan moveset: http://tinyurl.com/3h2r2ck

User Info: Leo_Blaken

Leo_Blaken
5 years ago#3
So what's the best way to get into this type of chars?
I was having trouble with a Chris/Dante combination the other day...
teleports? wait and punish?
LOL at things in life
Hitbox!

User Info: Karsticles

Karsticles
5 years ago#4
The best way to beat zoning is to get in-between the wall of attacks the character will use to control space.
My Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/3sym7tp
Support BoF2 Nina for UMvC3 DLC! - my fan moveset: http://tinyurl.com/3h2r2ck

User Info: allhailshasta

allhailshasta
5 years ago#5
Leo_Blaken posted...
So what's the best way to get into this type of chars?
I was having trouble with a Chris/Dante combination the other day...
teleports? wait and punish?

Speaking as a Chris/Dante user, the combination is really vulnerable to keepaway. Any character who can fly can run to the opposite top corner of the screen and there's not much Chris can do about it.
psn id: allhailshasta17
gamertag: themanticore6767

User Info: jerseykid17

jerseykid17
5 years ago#6
The best way to beat a zoning/keepaway character is either to zone them better or have a good rushdown character that can make them miss and then punish.

Tanks get eaten alive by them, teleports work well too if they arent smart enough to catch on.
Beast Mode

User Info: pionear

pionear
5 years ago#7
Karsticles posted...
Zoning is space control, keepaway is ensuring you have as much distance between you and your opponent while dealing damage. Sentinel is a zoner - his normals have huge range, allowing him to control the immediate space around him. He's not keepaway though, and couldn't hope to keep a character away if his life depended on it. Deadpool is keepaway.

Kinda agree, but I really don't see Deadpool as a 'pure' keepaway character...he's pretty much a mix btw rushdown and zone.

And I would say they are both similar in terms of gameplay, but I would also add that 'Keepaway' can refer to the defensive tactic of running away from your opponent (teleporting, air dashing, flight, etc) while using attacks (mainly projectiles).

So Sent does has some 'keepaway' tools (like flight and DJ, he still has it in uMvC3, right?), but his large size/hitboxes and slow walk/speed/movement prevent him from becoming a 'pure' keepaway' character.

Characters in uMvC3 who I consider can be played as 'pure' keepaway:

- Arthur (not that mobile, but his moveset is based around keepaway/zoning)
- Strider Hiryu (eventhough rushdown is his main priority)
- Chris
- Doctor Strange
- Rocket Raccoon
- PW (maybe)
- Dorrmy

I might be leaving some out, but those are off the top of my head.

User Info: Yang_K_Vue

Yang_K_Vue
5 years ago#8
strider is not keepaway. neither is doom. but logically, any character can become a " keepaway" char.

User Info: cuttin_in_town

cuttin_in_town
5 years ago#9
Yang_K_Vue posted...
strider is not keepaway. neither is doom. but logically, any character can become a " keepaway" char.

Wolverine can't. At all,
Official #1 Survivor fan in my city.
"Shooting is fighting too! Just from far away!"

User Info: Freeze_Flare

Freeze_Flare
5 years ago#10
Is there a character in the roster who can qualify as both a zoner and a keepaway character?
  1. Boards
  2. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  3. What's the difference between zoning and keepaway?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Cowz > Chris GTruthAndJustice328/17 8:44AM