Awakening [NO Grind/Pair-up] Question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  3. Awakening [NO Grind/Pair-up] Question

User Info: BlackStar300

BlackStar300
4 weeks ago#1
So, I recently went back to play Awakening for the thousandth time and I can NEVER do the hardest difficulties for FE games so I go 2nd to hardest. Well, I've beat this game on hard multiple times with heavy grind/pair-up and with minor etc. So I read online an artificial way to make Hard/Classic harder and that is do no pair-ups and don't grind.

So I'm on Ch17 now and haven't done either and thus I lost a few units because I couldn't pair them up and they were in harms way XD, but I hear people complain about the Risen encounters being grinding?

I'm not using my DLC or Spotpass teams etc nor am I using the Reeking boxes because those are calling units to the map (although I've read where some debate the use of this since it does cost a whopping 4800g on hard), but what is bad about the occasional Risen maps?

I've read that people say its because of older FE titles where you just move chapter to chapter and there is finite XP and in doing the Risen maps you remove that. I'm not second seal abusing (only used one to reclass my MU to Dark Mage because I didn't want to use swords and stay only magic etc). Anyways, older FE titles had Arenas on certain maps and although those were not "all" the time and respawn after sometime when you found an arena you could literally sit there forever and grind and heal your units and get all the EXP you want on your whole team.

With the Risen encounters doing the same amount of arena encounters (let's say 5 enemies is the arena cap as I forget what the avg is), but take 5 enemies x your army size (say 12 units) that is 60 Risen and this would be per 1 arena...

I can see the DLC maps being counted against it, but why the Risen? I mainly ask of this because I've been wondering what gives on that. However, what is getting me is I need to access a shop for a Nosferatu tome for Tharja, but there is a Risen there....sooo basically some people online who are like "Risen is grinding blah blah blah" would just have me not go to the shop? Earlier I dismissed a spotpass team because I could access a shop, but c'mon. I can't get to the shop for my wares.

Also, if you must know the game is pretty difficult doing this as on "Naga's Voice" Ch16 really ramped up the difficulty. Making me put in 8hours a day per map is getting exhausting, but I just need to know why can't I do a few Risen maps?
I will surpass the Gods!!!! ~BlackStar (Soul Eater)
DWMA Meister

User Info: Adinseed

Adinseed
4 weeks ago#2
Yeah, not being to go to a shop due to Risen can suck. So you can't get a Nosferatu. If one of the earlier shops aren't blocked, you could get a flux tome and forge it so it is as strong as Nosferatu. No Hp absorption though.

If you have to put many hours a day per chapter, you have to rethink your tactics. If Tharja is too fragile without Nosferatu, you just have to maneuver her more carefully so that an enemy can't get to her or only one enemy at a time can attack her. Check that enemy range constantly or press either x or y, I forget which one, to show the full enemy attack range. If attacking an enemy means getting into not only their range, but the range of 1 or 2 other guys, don't attack unless you have a durable unit or you are surrounded by friendlies. Defense tonic may also help. If that doesn't work, may have to bench her.

Tactics wise, one thing to do is to let them come to you. Have one character get into the edge of someone's range and end turn. A lot of the combat happens on enemy phase, so on their turn, one or more of them get closer and one of them attacks the one on the edge so that on your turn, you can gang up on that unit. If you have a fragile unit, make sure they stay out of enemy range or hide them behind a wall of units or put them on a castle or in a forest if there is one with an adjacent friendly or two for terrain bonus.

Even without pair-up, you can still build support with adjacent units for Dual Strikes and Dual Guards along with that avoid/hitrate/critical bonus.

As for arenas, yeah, you could abuse them but they are risky. For those not wanting to grind, they wouldn't abuse arena anyway.

In the end though, it is your game and playthrough. Go ahead and fight that Risen, buy a Nosferatu from a spotpass team, start pairing up if all those restrictions are too much.
Through Fire, Justice is Served! - Lunar (Mischief Makers)

BlackStar300
4 weeks ago#3
@Adinseed

She isn't frail per se..I mean her DEF isn't as high as her RES, but what is killing me is same turn reinforcements. The map I'm on is a Defeat Commander map not a rout so its like rush the boss or I guess I just stop and sit for reinforcements and turtle... I can block off a good majority of them, but if just even ONE extra unit pops up it can be the kicker, lest I see a critical from whomever. I can't bench her either because she is one of my top units. I just don't have units to be able to train freely and pick and choose this late in the game. Being only like 8 chapters off or w/e...

As far as the supports go, I am aware of the bonuses even without pairing up and I utilize those VERY often because it still helps.

The 8 hour per map bit is because I have to take a break when all s*** breaks loose and that one enemy gets a critical on my most important unit so I have to restart cuz well if I'm not grinding I can't lose my ace unit. I restart because I lost like 4 units. It may not have been my ace unit, but I don't have time to level up a new unit if the reinforcements get me. Babysitting Olivia is another issue I'm having without pair up since she has abysmal defense. As of now and when I wrote this I've been on break from chapter 17 because I have a headache just dealing with it lol and its just not very fun to play...

I just don't know what to do...I tried to make the game harder, but it seems if I fight the Risen all the work and struggling I've done to now wasn't worth it cuz then it would have been a "no grind run" and I could have just utilized all my renown s*** and DLC maps etc and have infinite money and forge. Right now I'm playing conservatively.
DWMA Meister

User Info: Adinseed

Adinseed
4 weeks ago#4
You are on the chapter 16 tree map? Yeah, that map can be brutal with those reinforcements. You are deploying Olivia? That sounds like a bad idea on this map. If you have to deploy Olivia, surround her if you have the units and have them all move up the center as a group. Not sure how well this may work myself.

If you haven't done so already and have the money, go buy the appropriate tonics if a Risen hasn't blocked those shops. Defense, Attack, Speed, Magic, maybe Luck for Tharja, because hers is low meaning higher crit chance on her and give her that one item that permanently boosts luk if you have it, goddess statue I think it was called. Also forge the best weapons you can.

If you have Say'ri, maybe she can help. A good number of enemies on that map carry axes.

What is your team?

Here are some other chapter 16 topics although they didn't take the challenge you are
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/73270338
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/65748084
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66286260
Through Fire, Justice is Served! - Lunar (Mischief Makers)

BlackStar300
4 weeks ago#5
I got past Ch16 and was stuck on 17, but I didn't forget a Flux of Tharja, but forged another weapon for another user and that helped and surprisingly I didn't take a crit that killed anyone so I'm good. Olivia was deployed on the tree map though. I played that tree map so much that I took a picture and knew EXACTLY where the units would come in at since there appears to be no guide online...which also makes it kind of lame cuz I did beat it through knowing where the safe area was because of same turn reinforcements. Its one of the worst things in any FE. So annoying.

My team usually consists of (spitballing here as I don't have my DS on atm) Lon'qu, Say'ri, Olivia, Tharja, Libra, Lissa, Vaike, Gregor, Nowi, Lucina, Anna, and Cherche although she isn't too well off considering I lost Panne awhile back so she's kind of the filler in there, but she's okay. Holds her ground enough.

Its funny you bring those topics up. I've read 2 of 3, but not the first one of the guy doing the same challenge I am with no pair ups.
DWMA Meister
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  3. Awakening [NO Grind/Pair-up] Question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived