Omega Ruins - Chests Sidequest clarification needed

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
  3. Omega Ruins - Chests Sidequest clarification needed

User Info: Enigma8th

Enigma8th
1 month ago#1
So, I'm currently giving a shot at this quest for the first time ever. I always ignored it due to how silly the RNG is but now I feel like wasting some time on it. I already know the probablity to get the Warpspheres is 1/240 but now that I'm actually attempting it, I just can't find any explanation as to why it's so necessary to try only from a save before entering the ruins for the first time, like it's mentioned on many sources. Why is that exactly?
There was a HOLE here. It's gone now.

User Info: Jarl_Torren

Jarl_Torren
1 month ago#2
The order of the chests is determined the second you set foot in the Omega Ruins the first time. So to reset the order you would have to load up a save from before you went there.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Moomba33

Moomba33
1 month ago#3
I completed it on the PS2 version from a save inside the ruins.
I've tried a few times on PS3 from a save in the ruins and haven't succeeded yet. The mimic chests have switched around though so it's definitively not locked by your first visit.

I personally believe the save outside the ruins thing is just superstition.
"Oh, I never leave home without my party cannon!" -Pinkie Pie
(edited 1 month ago)

Enigma8th
1 month ago#4
yeah it's pretty obvious the RNG is anything but set once you enter the ruins, mimics change anytime the game is loaded and anyone can easily open all chests by saving and reloading between each group, but of course doing that resets the prize counter as well. official sources (the ultimania appearently) also states that the order doesn't matter at all, what matters are the individual probabilities of each group of chests, wich undoubtedly will be rerolled each time the game is loaded regardless if it's inside, outside, before or after entering the ruins, that is why the claim that a save before entering the ruin is needed doesn't make any sense to me

User Info: 94mav98

94mav98
1 month ago#5
Does anyone know if the chests will disappear if you go beat Omega first? I've already been to the ruins, so if the RNG is already set I guess it doesn't matter - but in case it's not, can I safely just waltz down and beat Omega and just keep all the chests unopened with the possibility of getting all 12 prizes one day?
"Every single new Final Fantasy game is the one that ruined the franchise forever, and this is obvious the second they announce the title."

Enigma8th
1 month ago#6
they will only disappear when you either open a chest and walk away or get a mimic, and in both cases only the chests of the same group disappear. as long as you didn't open any, you should be fine

User Info: 94mav98

94mav98
1 month ago#7
Yeah. just tried it. I'm at the point where I've pretty much got max stats for everyone. Rikku has 255 in everything. The others only need to catch up on Luck, but yeah... I one shot every single regular enemy in the game outside of Monster Arena now. Was surprised that Ultima Weapon went down in one hit too. Thought he'd have more HP. Omega went don in 10 hits and didn't even have the time to make a move.

(and yes, I realise that there is no actual benefit in having 255 of every single stat but it looks better that way when you're using non-BHPL armour... gonna be a b**** to farm fortune spheres now though)
"Every single new Final Fantasy game is the one that ruined the franchise forever, and this is obvious the second they announce the title."

Enigma8th
4 weeks ago#8
hmm i found an interesting read

https://www.reddit.com/r/finalfantasyx/comments/4oaf9n/oc_i_made_300_runs_into_the_omega_ruins_trying_to/

the reason i find it interesting is cause i'm having the same issue of that person: i tried hundreds of time by now but i never managed to get past the third group of chests, it seems i can only get 7 chests before getting a mimic no matter how much i try. however, unlike that person, i alternated trying from 2 saves, one before and one after entering the ruins for the first time and, just like i thought, results weren't much different in either case. also, reading some old comments it seems this roadblock at the 8th chest isn't as uncommon as the supposed RNG formula suggests, so i'm starting to wonder if chances are really affected by one or more additional unknown factors like it's been speculated countless times now

User Info: Moomba33

Moomba33
4 weeks ago#9
Now that's interesting. I wonder what the other factors could be.
"Oh, I never leave home without my party cannon!" -Pinkie Pie

Enigma8th
3 weeks ago#10
bump. still looking for an answer
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
  3. Omega Ruins - Chests Sidequest clarification needed

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.