Is the bottle cap's description a reference to Fallout: New Vegas?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  3. Is the bottle cap's description a reference to Fallout: New Vegas?

User Info: MegamanXfan21xx

MegamanXfan21xx
1 year ago#1
New Vegas was also worked on by Obsidian. The main currency of Fallout is bottle caps, and NV had a sidequest based around collecting a number of special bottle caps that would unlock a room in an old soda factory with a good weapon and a bunch of regular caps. The special caps were part of a rumored contest before the world got nuked, then people started wanting them afterward due to rumors of a treasure.

Of course, it's also very likely referencing one of many, many, MANY South Park episodes I haven't watched. It could also be referring to modern plastic caps that have codes on them. I've got no idea if metal caps were ever used in contests. Still, with the Obsidian/Fallout/cap quest connection, I can't help but wonder.
Number of fellow Poets of the Fall fans: 22
Want: Thumper, Rez Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Red Dead 3, Bully 2, more Yakuza games

User Info: Taishi Ci CCR

Taishi Ci CCR
1 year ago#2
I think it was moreso about the "Win a Free Coke!" Contests than a Fallout reference. I'm a pretty big fan of South Park and have seen every episode at least once (many episodes more than once, obviously) and don't recall any "Post-Apocalyptic" episode/reference where they had to collect Bottle Caps as Currency.

What is the exact quote, again? I haven't played Stick of Truth in awhile.
Victims, aren't we all?
You guys on this board can be a little biased...

User Info: MegamanXfan21xx

MegamanXfan21xx
1 year ago#3
Taishi Ci CCR posted...
What is the exact quote, again? I haven't played Stick of Truth in awhile.

"Not even one of the ones with a contest".

If not a Fallout reference, a bottle cap had to have played some part in one of the episodes. Otherwise, why would they include it with all the other show-referencing junk?
Number of fellow Poets of the Fall fans: 22
Want: Thumper, Rez Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Red Dead 3, Bully 2, more Yakuza games

User Info: Taishi Ci CCR

Taishi Ci CCR
1 year ago#4
Yeah. I still think it was just a "Win a Free Coke!" thing. Not necessarily does the "junk" in this game have to be a reference to a South Park episode or a reference to anything, really. For example, "Broken Bulbs" and "Broken Wood" from when you bust lamps. It's just there. Doesn't have to be a reference. Remember, South Park started in the 90s and that "Look under the Cap to WIN!" Contests was a big deal back then. Everyone was doing it. Coke, Pepsi, 7 Up, etc...

It's a shame they don't do it anymore. Nowadays it's Mountain Dew Game Fuel with double exp in CoD/Halo/Destiny. Ugh. I'd rather win a Free Coke.
Victims, aren't we all?
You guys on this board can be a little biased...
  1. Boards
  2. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  3. Is the bottle cap's description a reference to Fallout: New Vegas?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived