SCH or AST? Any thoughts from experienced players?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. SCH or AST? Any thoughts from experienced players?

User Info: Zurriah

Zurriah
6 months ago#11
Uta posted...
Astrologian damage will be even simpler, but you'll actually need to heal even if sparingly. The Card mechanic requires on the fly thinking/reacting that in my opinion will add enough complexity to not be bored.

That last bit about the cards is why I'm not exceptionally upset at the simplifying of the already simple healer DPS skills. Because at least in the case of Astrologian, we have cards to also occupy the time that we're not healing the party.

Completely unrelated but I wish someone at E3 would show the AST tooltips. We already know that Aspected Benefic's shield potency dropped from the 300 in the media tour down to 250 (which is still more than what we have now for some reason) but nothing else. I'd like to believe they balanced it a bit better. I don't like being hilariously overpowered. Earthly Star's potencies were wayyyyy too high during the media tour build.
Gandalf the Istari 6 months ago#12
Play astro - they're the only ones SE gives a s*** about and they'll probably keep licking your taint for another 2 years.
Currently playing: DQ Heroes

User Info: benjjjamin

benjjjamin
6 months ago#13
Malzra_Airwynn posted...
Laplacia posted...
neither

you will be pitchforked for playing flavor of the month jobs

Play what you want. Ignore people like Ben.

Don't be bitter just because I whooped both your ass in another topic when my depiction of fad job players sounded too much like your day to day life. I hear everything that goes on in this board, and you can't hide from me to lick your wounds. Don't be pathetic and petty. Just answer the OP's question instead of begging me for attention where it isn't meritted.

Continue.
Language warning:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

User Info: Uta

Uta
6 months ago#14
Honestly AST is fine. It does its job well and is a suitable rival for Scholar. Remember that Scholar has always been the better healed, it just couldn't spam as hard because non-stacking shields. Also remember that the only thing keeping them in line was a lack of proshell and party mind buff. Neither matters anymore.

AST has the healing that WHM should have had. We don't need to drop AST, I think it's about par with Scholar. We need to elevate WHM to be competitive. Even if that competition is being the best healer without having to spam cure I and II like a s***ter.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
Gandalf the Istari 6 months ago#15
Uta posted...
Honestly AST is fine. It does its job well and is a suitable rival for Scholar. Remember that Scholar has always been the better healed, it just couldn't spam as hard because non-stacking shields. Also remember that the only thing keeping them in line was a lack of proshell and party mind buff. Neither matters anymore.

AST has the healing that WHM should have had. We don't need to drop AST, I think it's about par with Scholar. We need to elevate WHM to be competitive. Even if that competition is being the best healer without having to spam cure I and II like a s***ter.

Astro has been the best healer by a large margin for almost a year now... can we stop pretending otherwise yet?

User Info: GameplayZero

GameplayZero
6 months ago#16
Uta posted...
At Present these are the playstyle

Scholar: Eos has a potent heal which she auto-casts on anyone whose below 80% health. She also has other abilities such as an AoE HoT that you can use on Cooldown without affecting your own gameplay. This combination typically makes healing easy enough that you can spend most of your time in DPS Stance.

Scholar's DPS rotation presently consists of 4 DoTs, A ground-target AoE (which is also a DoT), a resource consuming attack that you need to weave between skills when you can, and Broil for when there's nothing better to do.

For AoE you have Miasma II (extremely weak don't even use it) Bane (Spreads your DoTs to nearby targets, pretty much worth it even if you have two targets) and Blizzard II (requires 4+ Targets)

In Stormblood this all changing. You're being reduced to 2 DoTs, the ground targeting skill is now on a Cooldown so no moving it to follow the boss and halved uptime. Blizzard II is gone and Bane is nerfed. Basically, the job is getting heavily dumbed down.

Astrologian is a pure healer. Instead of a fairy you use HoTs to keep people healthy. For DPS you have three DoTs, a filler spell, and for AoE you've got Gravity. Their personal damage is exceptionally low, but the card mechanic makes up for it in spades. It's not exceptionally complex though.

This is being changed to one DoT, and one filler spell. As well as the AoE. They're also gaining a hurt and heal, and they have the power to throw away their bad cards for a chance at another DPS skill.

Tl;DR - Scholars damage isn't really going down (except AoE), but they're taking a complexity nerf. Between the autopilot fairy and the the DPS rotation being drastically simplified I no longer wish to play the class. You could practically AFK and still perform well.

Astrologian damage will be even simpler, but you'll actually need to heal even if sparingly. The Card mechanic requires on the fly thinking/reacting that in my opinion will add enough complexity to not be bored.

In other words. Astrologian will probably be the more involved class. Both are good choices. Also, nobody will lynch you for having a good class. Scholar has been "flavor of the month" for 4 years. Astrologian is a rising star that recently became very popular. The amount of time it takes gearing a class makes it harder to bandwagon, and the community is such that right now you'd sooner be lynched for playing White Mage.

perfect summary. I feel like I should switch healers, but such is all I really know and love. Guess I'll be bored just hitting broil 2 24/7 haha.

User Info: RavingSwoobat

RavingSwoobat
6 months ago#17
GameplayZero posted...
perfect summary. I feel like I should switch healers, but such is all I really know and love. Guess I'll be bored just hitting broil 2 24/7 haha.

No. Stay SCH! We have to stick together now, more than ever, lest we end up like the WHM! D:

What you should do is manipulate the party in working for you! With all the new support options other classes have gained (or has), let the RDM heal when needed, tether and embrace the Fairy to whoever needs healing most, cast that emergency healing bomb, Divine Seal that crit shield, debuff the enemy. And we can fully devote ourselves to DPSing even more, now with a Crit buff to the team (well, enemy debuff, but all the same)! The party will be invincible, we can churn out respectful numbers, and they will love us for it!

Sure, our AoE DPS is nerfed, but with even less time needed for healing, we can Broil some more, just with less DoTs, SF, no Blizz 2 and Aero, and the Bane nerf.... I'm going to miss those...
Gandalf the Istari 6 months ago#18
RavingSwoobat posted...
GameplayZero posted...

No. Stay SCH! We have to stick together now, more than ever, lest we end up like the WHM! D:

What you should do is manipulate the party in working for you! With all the new support options other classes have gained (or has), let the RDM heal when needed, tether and embrace the Fairy to whoever needs healing most, cast that emergency healing bomb, Divine Seal that crit shield, debuff the enemy. And we can fully devote ourselves to DPSing even more, now with a Crit buff to the team! The party will be invincible, we can churn out respectful numbers, and they will love us for it!

Sure, our AoE DPS is nerfed, but with even less time needed for healing, we can Broil some more, just with less DoTs, SF, no Blizz 2 and Aero, and the Bane nerf.... I'm going to miss those...

Nah. I'm out fam. Red mage is calling me. Also I kinda hope that dps queues are unbearable just to prove yoshi p wrong.

User Info: Exiled_Tonberry

Exiled_Tonberry
6 months ago#19
Gandalf the Istari posted...
Play astro - they're the only ones SE gives a s*** about and they'll probably keep licking your taint for another 2 years.

This. Play AST, you'll never need a healer again, they'll get Holy next. Have f***ing fun.
Everyone's Grudge

User Info: RavingSwoobat

RavingSwoobat
6 months ago#20
Gandalf the Istari posted...
Nah. I'm out fam. Red mage is calling me. Also I kinda hope that dps queues are unbearable just to prove yoshi p wrong.

Nooo! Don't leave me! D:

The Astros are coming.... soon it will be AST/AST healing cores....

But while I was initially for SAM, RDM does look more and more appealing. I think I might switch out my MCH for it. I do like the no casting times, but I'm tired of always messing up my WF because the server didn't register my button click for a buff, ability or WF itself during my burst phase...
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. SCH or AST? Any thoughts from experienced players?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived