Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

User Info: Zephyr_Lee

Zephyr_Lee
5 months ago#21
Azyle1 posted...
Maybe the Tanks are saying, "Healers, use your CD's!"????

XD

Heh
Moments like this I wish the skill Living dead sent a direct message to healers so they understood how it works

User Info: SheaStoned

SheaStoned
5 months ago#22
Tanks are having a rough time and became much more difficult. Healers became brain dead as f***. Hundred percent on tanks side if healer starts crying, instant kick.
(message deleted)

User Info: Immature_Sage

Immature_Sage
5 months ago#24
Every time I tank I struggle to pop cooldowns. Not because I am lazy, but because all those damn abilities have rather long cooldowns. Abilities which I would like to be up when a boss is about to do some shenanigan.

I know, weak excuse but that is what happens to me. I usually stick with cooldowns of the fast variety like Rampart and Convalescence because most of the rest have a criminally high cooldown time.
Intelligence is the ultimate strength, and wisdom is the ultimate power. This knowledge is the cornerstone that can become the foundation.

User Info: Zephyr_Lee

Zephyr_Lee
5 months ago#25
Immature_Sage posted...
Every time I tank I struggle to pop cooldowns. Not because I am lazy, but because all those damn abilities have rather long cooldowns. Abilities which I would like to be up when a boss is about to do some shenanigan.

I know, weak excuse but that is what happens to me. I usually stick with cooldowns of the fast variety like Rampart and Convalescence because most of the rest have a criminally high cooldown time.

Exactly how I feel!!!

I get the cool down on our major life savor like living dead/hallowed etc

But our basic defense cd are waaaaay to long

User Info: advancewarsnut

advancewarsnut
5 months ago#26
1) I don't use cooldowns as often as I should when I'm tanking.

2) The vast majority of the time, if I'm going pack-by-pack instead of Leeroy pulling, I do not need to use a single cooldown. I can survive just by doing my aggro rotation and letting the healer do his job. If you're properly geared, mobs simply do not hit hard enough to warrant CD usage unless you Leeroy pull. For pack-by-pack situations, proper CD usage is a min-max thing you do to give the healer a few more globals for DPS that amounts to maybe a few seconds saved over the course of an average dungeon run. It is something you can learn to do properly that can make your runs go faster, but the healer has to be on board with using spare globals for DPS and learning how to do it optimally is time better spent elsewhere IMO.
"Look, f*** you, dude. Just because he has angel wings and giant laser cannons doesn't make him not Harambe."

User Info: The_Game_Savant

The_Game_Savant
5 months ago#27
It's because the game drove most of the real tank players away, what's left is mostly dps wannabes who tank for the queue time or bads with no clue.
GT: Tealeaf86

User Info: GameplayZero

GameplayZero
5 months ago#28
Zephyr_Lee posted...
Iono never found much use to use cool downs on trash mobs unless I'm pulling big.

Plus the reset timers on cool downs is so long it's just meh

If they make tanks like other games the require me to use them constantly then yes I would use them

But as it stands I am currently still playing dark knight
And I only have a few defense cd and I save those to busters or oh s*** moments

but you will always have cool downs up for every mob. For 3 you really only need 1 and thats basically it. I don't really see an excuse not to. Especially now considering everyone isn't overgeared as usual.

for bosses yeah you don't just use your cool downs all the time. Only when you need it for heavy auto attack damage, when you are in dps stance, or busters.

User Info: GameplayZero

GameplayZero
5 months ago#29
advancewarsnut posted...
1) I don't use cooldowns as often as I should when I'm tanking.

2) The vast majority of the time, if I'm going pack-by-pack instead of Leeroy pulling, I do not need to use a single cooldown. I can survive just by doing my aggro rotation and letting the healer do his job. If you're properly geared, mobs simply do not hit hard enough to warrant CD usage unless you Leeroy pull. For pack-by-pack situations, proper CD usage is a min-max thing you do to give the healer a few more globals for DPS that amounts to maybe a few seconds saved over the course of an average dungeon run. It is something you can learn to do properly that can make your runs go faster, but the healer has to be on board with using spare globals for DPS and learning how to do it optimally is time better spent elsewhere IMO.

eh, but you will always have a cool down up. If you really are taking fluff damage then why not just take off tank stance (for bosses mainly, but like 1-2 mobs is aight)? Not really a reason not to under that circumstance. Then cool downs come into play. I just don't see how people opt to not press any buttons at all. Just seems boring to me when I tank and more helpful anyways since this still less healing healers need to do.

not saying to always have 1 up since thats just a waste, but at least at the start of the pulls so healers can do their set-up and possibly dps. Now if healers are standing there then you really have no excuse not to swap stances lol. They want to heal and you can give it to them unless the pull is too much.

User Info: Greg_thestrange

Greg_thestrange
5 months ago#30
GameplayZero posted...
for the love of everything holy (no whm pun intended) I heal tanks who wont press a single cooldown button and just go the entire dungeon spamming aggro combo most likely. How do you go through job quest and the game and ignore the basics of tanking?

or are people still thinking all cooldowns should be used only when your health is low? Sorry I've had this happen a lot and I need to vent.

Tank main here. I play with my fc a lot, so I tend use my CD's liberally with them as I trust my 2 healer mains to keep me alive even if my buffs are down. I still use them with randos, but unless I feel like NOT blowing them will end with me looking like a dragoon, chances are I'm saving my BIG buffs for when I've dropped to 10% hp.

My counter complaint about healers is please learn to balance healing and DPS. Either I'm 1 swat from death and blowing hallowed ground to stay alive to heal myself with clemency, because the healer just isn't doing their job, OR they're dancing and healing me in between this or that dance. That said, I'll take a dancing healer that keeps my hp at anthing greater than 50%. Also I only pull one or two sets of mobs at a time. If I'm with my fc group, we tend to go full Leeroy Jenkins.
3ds friend code: 4656-6897-2218
PSN: Gengyo
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived