Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

User Info: magemaximus

magemaximus
6 months ago#31
i admit i was like that in the beginning because i didn't know when it would be a good time to use my defensive cooldowns because i was afraid i might really need them in the next fight or something. i was just bad at managing my defensive cooldowns. i do the same with some offensive buffs as well, but in WoW. i keep saving them for later and i end up never using them, when i really should have.
You can't persuade fanboys. You'd be better off trying to convince a wall. ~CodeNamePlasmaSnake~

User Info: Sand_Coffin

Sand_Coffin
6 months ago#32
I pop rampart and awareness like crazy.

User Info: Aescenarion

Aescenarion
6 months ago#33
I try and keep the tank from dropping below 40-50% the lower end if I am dotting up a larger pull. After a bit I am hoping they notice and know that if they are droppin lower it might be wise to use a CD.

I don't have a regular group to run with currently on Leviathan so no tanks that I familiar enough with like in WoW days to really take advantage of each other's CD's.

User Info: rajin_donuts

rajin_donuts
6 months ago#34
I use them as often as possible on my pally, but I will sit on hollowed ground for those uh oh moments.
gt/psn: queenofheartz78

User Info: psycofang

psycofang
6 months ago#35
Cookie Bag posted...
Best part is when tanks think they're big s*** and pull a lot of stuff, don't use a single cooldown, then blame the healer for causing a wipe...

I actually had this happen in the first story dungeon today.

Tank used 0 CDs decided to pull big, died we wipe eventually despite our attempt (sleep is useless STILL and so is freeze)

He blamed the healer for his incompetence, which is why i hate other tanks that aren't me or people i know, they give tanks a reputation for being stupid.

Also

Why is freeze still useless?

User Info: GameplayZero

GameplayZero
6 months ago#36
rajin_donuts posted...
I use them as often as possible on my pally, but I will sit on hollowed ground for those uh oh moments.

THIS is how you are supposed to tank. You use your cool downs so you don't get to the 10% point and only save your "oh s***" cool downs for when you are about to die or if group wants extra dps. You use your cool downs for sustain.

I think a lot of tanks are in the mentality that you only use cool downs if you are about to die and thats wrong. You use the cool downs to make sure that you don't die.

User Info: notrandom

notrandom
6 months ago#37
psycofang posted...
Why is freeze still useless?

For the same reason tri-bind is still useless and red mages got tether, a tri-bind that does no damage.
Under construction.

User Info: SythisTaru

SythisTaru
6 months ago#38
A heala should stick to castin' bless, cause we all know they ain't got no DP-ESSSSSSS

User Info: GameplayZero

GameplayZero
6 months ago#39
magemaximus posted...
i admit i was like that in the beginning because i didn't know when it would be a good time to use my defensive cooldowns because i was afraid i might really need them in the next fight or something. i was just bad at managing my defensive cooldowns. i do the same with some offensive buffs as well, but in WoW. i keep saving them for later and i end up never using them, when i really should have.

yeah managing cool down use can be a tad be challenging considering you have to know (and guess) how each pull will go and how soon the boss is coming so you have the ones you need available. Every time I tank I have a rotation for each dungeon mob that makes sure I have major cool downs up for each boss, but enough to where I save the big cool downs for hard hitting trash or huge pulls.

User Info: Isilia

Isilia
6 months ago#40
I used my cooldowns and died on trash today.

235 geared AST who didn't realize healing helps.
http://i.imgur.com/JFYhdtk.gif | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2937700/
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived