Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

User Info: GameplayZero

GameplayZero
6 months ago#1
for the love of everything holy (no whm pun intended) I heal tanks who wont press a single cooldown button and just go the entire dungeon spamming aggro combo most likely. How do you go through job quest and the game and ignore the basics of tanking?

or are people still thinking all cooldowns should be used only when your health is low? Sorry I've had this happen a lot and I need to vent.

User Info: St0rmShad0w7

St0rmShad0w7
6 months ago#2
I haven't experienced that yet, but I've been tanking and use cooldowns. Been surprisingly seeing lazy healers. Ones who afk, stand in aoes and die, and try to contribute minimal effort. I was expecting that to happen with dps honestly.

When I do get a good healer though I love it.
FC - 3712-1581-3835 -
GT: St0rmShad0w7 (the o's are zeros)

User Info: robster_2005

robster_2005
6 months ago#3
Yeah it kinda seems to be the new thing, even on lower level content.

White Mage is a lot easier now, but still can be a bit manic if the tank won't use any bloody cool downs and wants to do stupidly big pulls
"That would explain how she died. It wasn't old age; she just roundhouse-kicked herself in the back of the head" - ShadowWraith666

GameplayZero
6 months ago#4
St0rmShad0w7 posted...
I haven't experienced that yet, but I've been tanking and use cooldowns. Been surprisingly seeing lazy healers. Ones who afk, stand in aoes and die, and try to contribute minimal effort. I was expecting that to happen with dps honestly.

When I do get a good healer though I love it.

My complaint has been a thing for some time, but it just annoying. Healers don't have any excuse to afk anymore with cleric being removed in order to dps. If they sit around now they are just being extremely lazy and not helpful to the team.

Funny thing is that some tanks who don't use cooldowns pull big anyways lol. You just need to hit a button once and bam. Easy.

User Info: Variaz

Variaz
6 months ago#5
Proper use of cooldowns isn't really something that the game teaches you properly, unfortunately, because more often than not, you don't really need them for casual content.

Job quests? They don't require you to do any proper tanking. As for leveling instances, new tanks will often be paired with healers that outgears the content, and that can heal them even if they don't use cooldowns. Or, the tanks themselves outgear the content, and using their CDs is therefore not required.
Come to the BROTRR board, and learn the way of the WINNER: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/919220-big-rigs-over-the-road-racing

GameplayZero
6 months ago#6
Variaz posted...
Proper use of cooldowns isn't really something that the game teaches you properly, unfortunately, because more often than not, you don't really need them for casual content.

Job quests? They don't require you to do any proper tanking. As for leveling instances, new tanks will often be paired with healers that outgears the content, and that can heal them even if they don't use cooldowns. Or, the tanks themselves outgear the content, and using their CDs is therefore not required.

I agree with game being a poor teacher, but not so much with overgearing=no cooldowns. You don't really lose anything and if healer wants to dps, you are putting less of a strain on them. If, as a tank, you are taking laughable amounts of damage on like 2 mobs or a boss it's just best to switch to dps stance and use cooldowns then. Makes the run faster since you don't even need tank stance at that point.

also considering people typically pull big to compensate for overgearing so cooldowns especially need to be used. Just my 2 cents.

User Info: SheaStoned

SheaStoned
6 months ago#7
Probably are. Mob damage is very high this xpac

GameplayZero
6 months ago#8
SheaStoned posted...
Probably are. Mob damage is very high this xpac

surprisingly. I was actually kind of shocked lol. Though I just did a few and tanks even then just ignored their cooldowns. I usually watch their health and wait for status (since I play warrior as a secondary).

User Info: JohnSpawn

JohnSpawn
6 months ago#9
Can't say for sure, but my FC tanks say Tenacity helps a lot. One who just geared up with Shire (without caring to avoid parry) now has loads of Tenacity and went through the first 2 dungeons fine. Other geared up practically BiS (for 3.0), barely has any Tenacity and complained that he took a lot of damage on those dungeons.
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser

User Info: aluminafalcon

aluminafalcon
6 months ago#10
As i mediocre tank i would say tge problem is more psychological than any thing else. No tank wants to be caught at low health with no cool downs so they sit on them till needed i try to use my small ones whenever they pop up but my 30% and invincibilities i save for emergencies
Hanlon's razor " Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Tanks PLEASE use your cooldowns

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived