can anybody explain paladin's sword oath and the combos?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. can anybody explain paladin's sword oath and the combos?

User Info: chicksboii

chicksboii
5 months ago#1
the sword oath has a number 1-100 and i'm wondering what is it used for? and also, when is the best time to use combo enmity or combo damage??

User Info: Roxas_1124

Roxas_1124
5 months ago#2
Best way is to reroll to a different job.

chicksboii
5 months ago#3
Roxas_1124 posted...
Best way is to reroll to a different job.

i like the aesthetic of a paladin though

User Info: jimmysheva

jimmysheva
5 months ago#4
some abilities use up the Oath Gauge but you won't get them until later.
My hat is round, round is my hat.
If it's not round, it's not my hat.

User Info: Sefirosukuraodo

Sefirosukuraodo
5 months ago#5
chicksboii posted...
the sword oath has a number 1-100 and i'm wondering what is it used for? and also, when is the best time to use combo enmity or combo damage??

That gauge will fill up in one of two ways. If you're in Shield Oath you get +5 gauge for every time you block damage. If you're in Sword Oath you get +5 for every auto-attack that lands. You'll obviously see the gauge shoot up much faster in Sword Oath.

Shelltron is your first gauge ability, and it uses 50 gauge (half) to guarantee the next incoming attack is blocked AND restores a portion of MP. It's neat stuff.

The second gauge skill is Intervention, which allows you to place a defensive CD on any party member, reducing the damage they receive while its up by 10%, or if you have a CD up on yourself (Rampart or Sentinel) it will give them that 10% + half of your CD, so 20% total if you have Rampart up, 30% if you have Sentinel up. If you're off ranking you can help your MT buddy out if they're out of CD's for whatever reason... Or you know, if things went to pots and the boss is heading for your healer :-O

The Very Bare Basics: Fast Blade>Savage Blade>Rage of Halone to gain and keep aggro, but once you do have aggro you should be Fast Blade>Riot Blade>Goring Blade for DoT, and Fast Blase>Riot Blade>Royal Authority as long as you have aggro. Even when it *looks like someone is creeping up on taking aggro you usually still have a good little bit until you have to worry about your Rage of Halone combo since the enmity bars can be a bit misleading at times. Usually Royal Authority X 2 and Goring Blade will keep up your DoT and let you deal more damage. You shouldn't have to Rage of Halone too often, just sprinkle it in there to reestablish yourself as head honcho and go back to RA/GB.

User Info: Valrien

Valrien
5 months ago#6
Building on the advice above, always use Fight or Flight right before Goring Blade, then follow up with 2 combos (either RoH or RA), then another Goring Blade. When you hit 68 add Requiescat after your second Goring Blade and spam Holy Spirit x5 before reapplying GB and continuing your rotation
FFXIV Main: Rigil Kentaurus (PLD, RDM)

chicksboii
5 months ago#7
thank you

User Info: Luminozero

Luminozero
5 months ago#8
Valrien posted...
Building on the advice above, always use Fight or Flight right before Goring Blade, then follow up with 2 combos (either RoH or RA), then another Goring Blade. When you hit 68 add Requiescat after your second Goring Blade and spam Holy Spirit x5 before reapplying GB and continuing your rotation

This is the lynch pin of Paladin DPS.

Fast Blade->Riot Blade-> Fight or Flight->Goring Blade.
Royal Authority Combo x2
Goring Blade Combo
You should have 1-2 seconds left of Fight or Flight at this point. Reqiescat does damage based on your current MP, but the damage is physical, so it is effected by FoF.
As soon as Req goes out, start spamming Holy Spirit. To fit in 5 in the buff window is really tight. Even the smallest distraction can make you lose that last one.
After 5 Holy Spirits, you should be ready to reapply Goring Blade. Continue with 2x Royal Authority->Goring Blade until MP is full and FoF and Req are back and then do it all again.
Democracy is a theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it, good and hard.
-H.L. Mencken

User Info: Wyrme24

Wyrme24
5 months ago#9
All very good advice, but in all honesty you will probably only use about half those skills in the above ultra-tight rotation... I don't know the percentages of players who use accurate, full, up-to-date rotations vs middling rotations vs "I pushed a button" rotations though, but given the massive amount of players using DF and to an extent PF as a means to demonstrate their rotational skills... I'd say noones using max rotations. I'm also not in cutting edge progression where it's needed either.

Side note: I still find it funny that the players with the worst ingame skills and worst social skills are always the ones decked out in max ilvl gear, b****ing about how other people play eir jobs and use their skills, and in general being a raging douche in a DFed instance until they're forced out one way or the other.
Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life now
Open my eyes and blind me with your light

User Info: Cynyn

Cynyn
5 months ago#10
No, no one can explain it. Everyone's scratching their heads wondering how Paladins do
"You know, I dunno if they wasted the rape scene on Sansa...but if they had used it on Arya, she'd have more character development." -Wormy/PinkRanger
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. can anybody explain paladin's sword oath and the combos?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived