Can the Schemata Be Upgraded?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Can the Schemata Be Upgraded?

User Info: Frybread002

Frybread002
1 year ago#1
So on the first playthrough; the Cloud Strife DLC (Soldier 1st Class) was indeed, overpowered. The Slayer ability was fearsome and rarely did I change garb. However I felt like I was stuck with one "viable" Schemata because everything else was outclassed.

During my second playthrough, I invested in the upgrades of the attack commands and other abilities, and another problem arose. All of the locked abilities that come custom made for the garbs, are now outclassed by my upgrades. I really want to use commands like Buster Ruin, Flare and many others: however a lot of them are outclassed by the more, simple attacks like Attack, Blitz, and Fire.

User Info: Gaara_fan

Gaara_fan
1 year ago#2
If I remember correctly, only the 3 starting garbs get an upgrade throughout the story when you arrive at the ark. So most of time, the better garbs are the ones that don't come with many locked abilities so you can customize them to your liking.
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the name of the Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
PSN ID: Otonio_Bruno

User Info: Ward_Point

Ward_Point
1 year ago#3
There are garbs that are really powerful enough that even with the Locked abilities, they are still too useful. Martial Monk is amazing with a high level Punt. Equilibrium+ might have a locked Attack, but the ATB regen it provides is amazingly useful.

if you really want to fully customize your garbs, Guardian Corps and Knight of Etro are fully customizable. Lilitu has Attack Lv.5, however, IIRC Helter Skelter's Attack has higher damage, and Pallas Athena has Heroic Guard Lv. 1.
Lightning Returns: The only FF game where you can't button mash your way to victory :D

User Info: Frybread002

Frybread002
1 year ago#4
Thanks for the posts guys!

So even garbs that have a Lvl. 2 Attack is still useful depending on how you customize them? So should I spend my time upgrading individual abilities or the weapons that will compliment those locked abilities?

User Info: Ward_Point

Ward_Point
1 year ago#5
That's still a bit far... For example, Martial Monk has two basically useless Locked Abilities. Lv. 2 Punt and Lv.2 Charged Strike are useless on Hard difficulty. However, Martial Monk comes with Whirlwind Kick, which transforms any equipped Punt into Whirlwind Kick, giving it a 1.3x Multiplier and a Timing bonus of +400% whenever a Perfect Attack is executed.

You definitely should spend more time upgrading abilities. Monster-Hunting takes up far more of your time than upgrading Weapons that complement them. Lower ATB Costs are usually a good thing unless you're trying to trigger Committal or Grand Wizard. Weapons aren't really an issue since for the most part, most weapons don't add much in the way of special effects. However, Spears, especially the Bladed Lance (Transform Beat Down into Jump, increase Stagger Power and Overclocking Manual), Chaos Revenge (Stat cap of 2200, but gives Quick Stagger) and Buster Sword (+Stagger Power)

Still, you need to have a good combination of Weapon/Garb/Shield and Abilities to proceed through hard, if not you need to get the strategy and execution down pat. I typically recommend Tactical Shield on your Guarding garb, with Light Shields on the others to boost ATB Spped (Unless you've already capped it out at 200)
Lightning Returns: The only FF game where you can't button mash your way to victory :D
  1. Boards
  2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Can the Schemata Be Upgraded?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived