Hex Editing (Garbs' Locked Abilities)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Hex Editing (Garbs' Locked Abilities)

User Info: 88AYM

88AYM
3 months ago#1
Hello! Does anyone know a way to hex edit a ps3 save and remove the lock from the abilities that come with each garb?

I found a way for the PC version with cheat engine but I'm going insane trying to do it in my ps3 dat file... I already found a way to edit abilities and equipment but it's impossible for me to do this and it's all I really wanna do
To be accepted, must I blend into convention's way and its' universal means?
Exvius ID: 366672668

User Info: Ward_Point

Ward_Point
3 months ago#2
I don't think so. I tried with Cheatengine for LR on PC. You can temporarily edit the locked garb abilities, but every reload reverts it back to the origonal.

My guess is that each garb pulls its information from a database which may not be editable... or at the very least, I don't want to take the risk of editing the system information which garbs draw from, because it might screw up the garb entirely.

88AYM
3 months ago#3
Ward_Point posted...
I don't think so. I tried with Cheatengine for LR on PC. You can temporarily edit the locked garb abilities, but every reload reverts it back to the origonal.

My guess is that each garb pulls its information from a database which may not be editable... or at the very least, I don't want to take the risk of editing the system information which garbs draw from, because it might screw up the garb entirely.

Thank you so much for replying!

Two days ago by experimenting I was able to do what you just described by editing the ability spaces on my schema and I found out so many interesting things. As you said, the garb "properties" aren't editable like skills because well, playing the game you are not able to do anything but equip them. But what's funny is that each schema setup has different "placeholders" for:
Name
Garb
Weapon
Shield
Neck accessory
Wrist accessory
????????
????????
????????
Ability 1
Ability 2
Ability 3
Ability 4
Adornment

I wonder what those ???????? Spots are! They are exactly as long as the orher things in the lists, I wonder if originally light was meant to wear more stuff!

Plus, there are 4 more schema setup "slots" in the hex but if I edit them, my garbs and items are "taken" from my inventory (as if I was using them in a schema) but the schema doesn't show up in the list! So I'm guessing we were meant to have 3 active schemas and 10 inactive/passive.

There's a Hope fighting model in the game! But it isn't accessible (I'm trying everything on ps3 I think PC will be more accessible).
There are unused passive skills! And I've also been working on a way to have Fang constantly joining you in battle, as the chocobo, but wasn't successful... (what is funny, because at the very beginning of the hex dat file you can see a party setup hex! Which shows you should have a party leader and 2 more members).

I really hope someone who has played with this a bit more can show me!

User Info: Ward_Point

Ward_Point
3 months ago#4
Having 3 active and 10 inactive schemas is built into the game. IIRC you actually do have 10 inactive ones that you can customise so that you can 'preset' then swap them in and out based on need.

I'm very much an amateur in hex editing or scanning for certain values. It took me a while to get the RNG predictability in XII's TZA, and i'm not really going to experiment further. I find that cheatengine can really enhance the game experience at high levels, especially on Hard when you certain Locked abilities with higher tier ones.

88AYM
3 months ago#5
Ward_Point posted...
Having 3 active and 10 inactive schemas is built into the game. IIRC you actually do have 10 inactive ones that you can customise so that you can 'preset' then swap them in and out based on need.

I'm very much an amateur in hex editing or scanning for certain values. It took me a while to get the RNG predictability in XII's TZA, and i'm not really going to experiment further. I find that cheatengine can really enhance the game experience at high levels, especially on Hard when you certain Locked abilities with higher tier ones.

Actually you can only have 6 inactive/Sub Schemas, the other 4 are there but they are locked and you cannot even see them (but they are in the hex data!)

I so wish to be enlightened about all this

User Info: xfyrenx

xfyrenx
3 months ago#6
The ????? might be for the auto abilities and colour. What garb did you try?
Don't worry; your manhood will be safe even if one of the PCs in the next game wears pink. Get over it. - EvenSpoonier

88AYM
3 months ago#7
xfyrenx posted...
The ????? might be for the auto abilities and colour. What garb did you try?

I tried them all! They are kept as I set them in my game save, but they don't appear at all in the actual game, but you cannot select them either to create a new schema!
  1. Boards
  2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Hex Editing (Garbs' Locked Abilities)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived