Misinformation here on gamefaqs about upgrading weaponry

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Misinformation here on gamefaqs about upgrading weaponry

User Info: andri_g

andri_g
4 weeks ago#21
Ward_Point posted...
The equipment efficiency is something I would definitely like to see. I have, on more than one occasion wondered which Tactical Shield to upgrade. Eventually, I compared which Shield allowed me to cap the most desired stats (Guard Defense, ATB Rate) and dumping the remainder into HP. Then I picked the highest tier that allowed me to cap the desired stats.

"Tactical Shield" has a narrow range for efficiency/upgradability costs. However, Decide's cap imposes an ATB Speed/Guard Defense penalty in exchange for +1K HP.
'~'
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Ward_Point

Ward_Point
4 weeks ago#22
Do you have notes on the initial gil cost of equipment vs cost of being fully upgraded?

As a veteran player, I don't care for HP. Rather, I'd prefer it if I could compare the Gil + Material cost of upgrading Noblesse Veronique vs buying the Il Nome Della Rosa, provided that both can cap Guard Efficiency and ATB Speed. If you're a good enough player, Tactical Shields and Light Shields give the best damage reductions with effectively no penalties overall.

I guess something like this would probably be best presented in an excelsheet. I have one for my own purposes, but eventually since I ended up using unique shields like Aegis, Mog and Guardian Corp, which I only upgraded ATB and Guard Efficiency, it didn't affect me too much. It might have been more efficient to just buy a Il Nome Della Rosa since Guardian Corps is essentially a Light shield but meh.

Might do another run though. I love LR's combat.

andri_g
4 weeks ago#23
Ward_Point posted...
Do you have notes on the initial gil cost of equipment vs cost of being fully upgraded?

Yes. All equipment from all forges in any difficulty levels. I'm working on the reward equipment: quest, drop, Outerworld, but I have have no plans to include LR 360/PS3/PC DLCs.
'~'

User Info: inkubus922

inkubus922
4 weeks ago#24
How do you guys feel about gauntlets? I've always used ATB shields (Noma, Noblesse, Gilded Lily, etc) and the Guardian Corps shield, but randomly started using a gauntlet on my last playthrough.

I don't know how good it would be for endgame or superbosses, but running around mobbing it seems decent. (and looks kinda cool)
http://imgur.com/yVK9FyV
PSN/NNID: shakejunt922

User Info: icecutter17

icecutter17
4 weeks ago#25
inkubus922 posted...
How do you guys feel about gauntlets? I've always used ATB shields (Noma, Noblesse, Gilded Lily, etc) and the Guardian Corps shield, but randomly started using a gauntlet on my last playthrough.

I don't know how good it would be for endgame or superbosses, but running around mobbing it seems decent. (and looks kinda cool)

I used str buffing gauntles majority of my time on this game

to me it was simple obvious choice
Even angels cast shadows

User Info: omegafire18

omegafire18
4 weeks ago#26
inkubus922 posted...

I always use a gauntlet on my first garb, which uses Evade (therefore no need for guard defense), and it provided the perfect mix of STR and ATB boosts for it's other physical moves. Sadly I couldn't use them for my other two, since one's a spell-only garb and the other, while STR-focused (with appropriate weapon), is more balanced for other purposes (including Guard), so I had to make do with otherwise.

^Anyway, I use gauntlets as part of this setup from beginning-to-end of the game - or rather, as 'early' in the beginning as I can, particularly the first playthrough - as a type of one-build-for-all-enemies
If I post about something, it's because I ultimately like it - flaws tend not to personally matter after initial acceptance, if still acknowledged in general.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: xfyrenx

xfyrenx
3 weeks ago#27
inkubus922 posted...
How do you guys feel about gauntlets?

Use them if you need the STR boost, don't if you're at the cap. Nothing wrong with them, as long as you remember not to use them for blocking.
Don't worry; your manhood will be safe even if one of the PCs in the next game wears pink. Get over it. - EvenSpoonier

User Info: inkubus922

inkubus922
3 weeks ago#28
Right on. I definitely don't need the strength boost (I'm midway through a third playthrough on hard mode, I have a maxed katana among other things and play with limit break off).

I didn't know if there might be some hidden or special use/setup where they shine.
http://imgur.com/yVK9FyV
PSN/NNID: shakejunt922

andri_g
2 weeks ago#29
inkubus922 posted...
I didn't know if there might be some hidden or special use/setup where they shine.

I haven't equipped gauntlets before--my current Lightning build has +35K HP and ~4K Str./Mag. even with *weak-sauce* equipment--but it might be possible.

M. Monk + BotBeliever (/w +20% Stagger) + Dra. Gauntlets (max) + Dra. Scarf + Punt *. Dis-arming Dreadnoughts is entertaining; you can make them fly/crash, too. Whee! :D

1st Edit: I just 5*'d Zomok Omega /w this schemata. No need to discuss the messy de-tails. lol
2nd Edit: I just 5*'d Dreadnought Omega in a chaos infusion /w this schemata. I made him fly, too. xD

[ ATB Recovery +135... a few tense moments. Should be 150 or more; equip Slow * /w ATB Recovery +20. ]
'~'
  1. Boards
  2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Misinformation here on gamefaqs about upgrading weaponry

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.