Sacred Knight + Heavy Guard max or Heroic Guard?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Sacred Knight + Heavy Guard max or Heroic Guard?

User Info: Ahrichu

Ahrichu
1 month ago#1
comparison is like this...

i dont know the math for sacred knight plus heavy guard at lvl max,but the ATB cost will never be as crazy like Heroic guard...

But Heroic Guard nullify 99% damage including supernova, megaton break, hypernova, while can't guard attacks from cactair (1000 needles).

if someone can know the calculation of Heavy Guard max with Sacred knight feel free to post the math thingy so we can decide which one is more efficient

so which one do you guys prefer?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ahrichu/screenshot/863988952867372088

User Info: Touya999

Touya999
4 weeks ago#2
@Ahrichu

Hi.
Nintendo switch fc : SW-3862-0989-2485
I normally don't get erectile dysfunction. But when i do, it isn't so hard. This is Low /(_) Tier (/_\)God <(_)>

User Info: icecutter17

icecutter17
4 weeks ago#3
Hey there.

Enjoying Lightning Returns huh?
Even angels cast shadows

User Info: andri_g

andri_g
4 weeks ago#4
There are a few exceptions **:
- Only Guard Defense (0+) can reduce the damage inflicted by 1000 Needles.
- Hypernova bypasses Guard abilities for direct damage; Heroic Guard has no effect.

** [ Restrictions that limit console version games can be more easily bent/broken on PC. ] ;|

Since you asked, here are the performance details for Heavy Guard and Heroic Guard.

Heavy Guard* - costs between 15 and 10 ATB points per second (pps) to use, depending on if it has been upgraded and its default level before upgrades were applied.

Heroic Guard* - costs between 20 and 15 ATB pps to activate; the upgrade conditions for Heavy Guard also apply. Its ATB cost changes according to how you use it in battle:

- *tapping* activates Heroic G; 200 ATB pts are reduced to "0"/empty in 10.0 to 13.3 seconds; however, ...
- *holding* strains Heroic G, tripling its cost; 200 ATB pts are reduced to "0"/empty in 3.3 to 4.5 seconds.

I prefer Heavy Guard*. Still, you could equip both abilities: Heavy G* for barrage def.; Heroic G* for burst def., on the same schemata.
'~'

User Info: Ward_Point

Ward_Point
4 weeks ago#5
Gonna point out that Hypernova only factors in Perfect Guards in it's damage reduction. Hypernova is unique in LR that it is the only ability that bypasses Block-skills entirely UNLESS a Perfect Guard was triggered.

In itself, there's very little information about how much additional damage reduction a Perfect Guard gets over the normal Guard Defense. The details on normal Guard Defense are in my Mechanics Guide, but all I know about Perfect Guards is that it reduces damage by 'a lot'. Only a Perfect Guard lets you survive Hypernova, and even then you're tossed into the air because despite the damage reduction because the Cut of Hypernova exceeds your Keep.

Ahrichu
4 weeks ago#6
my go to garbs is Sacred Knight, Martial Monk and SoP

Sacred Knight with deprotect, Heavy Slash and heavy guard max lvl

Martial monk Punt max, Aerora (for aeronite, ereshkigal etc) or Evade for cheeky physical enemy

SoP is Heavy slash, aerora and Heroic Guard

usually i subbed in martial and SoP to Equilibrium and Spira Summoner (for elemental chainers, usually firestorma, flamesparka elementa on Equilibrium and spira summoner with icesparka and icestorma + Imperil)

Heroic guard actually occurs when hypernova happened... since the animation kinda stop (cutscene etc) you can guard it with 1 button on heroic guard.

Ahrichu
4 weeks ago#7
Also a big note, for barrage of spells, angel halo + heavy guard and sacred knight garb heals you for every barrage (example 20 hit = 20% Healed)

User Info: andri_g

andri_g
4 weeks ago#8
Ward_Point posted...
Hypernova is unique in LR that it is the only ability that bypasses Block-skills entirely UNLESS a Perfect Guard was triggered.

I've seen several articles and videos that reference a "kill before killed" Haste/Brave/Overclock tactic prior to Hypernova being cast, but none--including wikis and strategy guides--that offer a method or a mention of perfect guard (reduced damage) or perfect defense (nullified, zero damage) as either a possible or workable tactic against Hypernova.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulwOylN5OqQ

Support the counter-claim to this with an external link--preferably video--would you kindly? ;)

Ward_Point posted...
Only a Perfect Guard lets you survive Hypernova...

Having more HP than Hypernova's HP damage limit, 80-90% of the maximum capped HP limit of 50K, also allows you to survive Hypernova.
'~'
  1. Boards
  2. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Sacred Knight + Heavy Guard max or Heroic Guard?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived