Starting the game

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Fattomatoguy

Fattomatoguy
2 months ago#1
I recently got into this series with 4u and now want this game. I've been told about how terrible water combat is but that some how just excites me. Is there anything about it I should know? Good weapons for water combat? Tips for using the omni-directional movement effectively? Just fill me in with whatever so I don't show up and look like a noob.

User Info: ShadowbladerX15

ShadowbladerX15
2 months ago#2
Lance is apparently one of the few weapons that can allow one to move large distances underwater due to their special charge attack.
Some attacks would require one to dodge up or down rather than right or left.
The balance between hope and despair is always at zero. One has to be cursed to balance out another's happiness. - Sayaka Miki

User Info: Teran17

Teran17
2 months ago#3
Like the post above said, Lance/Gunlance are the best underwater melee weapons due to guard lancing being very conducive to underwater hunts. The biggest problem with underwater for most people is the difference in mobility between you and the monster underwater, but just turtling the monster and allowing it to come to you/stay near you all the time makes it much more bearable.

Guns are also fine underwater tbh, people say they suck because the critical damage distance is less than on land, but normal 3s are absurd underwater, the best they will ever be in the series. Rip 3rd Gen Normal 3. Also the long underwater monsters get destroyed by pierce.

Thing is, underwater really isn't all that bad, it just takes a different approach of exploiting the verticality. Also you can gem in a skill called Olympic Swimmer which actually makes a significant difference to your swimming speed, something a lot of people like to forget because they can't fathom sacrificing another damage skill for a bit of utility.
Block out the pain, make your body grow

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
2 months ago#4
Actually, a few weps work perfectly fine on water. LS, the lances, db, SA if I remember correctly, the guns(bows are kinda... meh) and I have heard the hammer is decent. The only weps that are much harder to use on water are SnS, GS, Bow(f*** the crit distance as bow on water) and HH
MHGen Ign: Soleil, Mordecai
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)

User Info: Limebeer

Limebeer
1 month ago#5
Holding B and pressing either Up or Down with the joystick will allow you to dive straight up or down, which is actually very helpful with underwater maneuverability, for the weapons underwater... it actually takes a different mindset to fight with as you learn different timings and combo's with your weapon (as well as letting the monster come to you instead of you going to it).
I suggest using a weapon that can block for underwater as it's easier to shield instead of evade underwater (the i-frames are different for timing and harder to do, but still doable... I wouldn't try to evade through roars though)
You can hit the kick button to do a fun body-check.
If your weapon is out, you can evade up or down only directly after you have attacked.
You can still use all your bombs and you can still use shock traps (not pitalls). Bounce Bombs shoot out like torpedoes on an upward angle but are super fun to use (careful though as the explosion acts like a sonic bomb underwater making most of the monsters go into rage mode)

It's best if you use the underwater armor skills too, I prefer Endless Oxygen as it is one less thing to worry about and only costs 5 slots, especially for Ceadeus battles, though Olympic Swimmer is a good one (though I don't have much experience with it).

You definitely should do a few Moga Woods free hunts with the weapons you like best and practice underwater fighting there to get the timing out for your weapons and practice moving around underwater while fighting... Personally I do alot of evasions added into normal combos to keep myself moving and close to the monster, while also keeping to the hard to reach places that you can't normally get to on land. It also makes weapon combos feel alot faster on the slower underwater weapons.
But basically, you want to get the rhythm down for being underwater.

You'll find that fighting Plesioth underwater makes him a joke, he becomes infinitely easier compared to him being on land.

Also, if you will be doing alot of underwater stuff, I'd bring Air philters instead of just Oxygen Supplies due to the fact that they not only refill your oxygen meter, but makes the oxygen bar larger. I think it takes 2 to max it out? (one mega-air philter, but those take dash juices to make which you'll probably want to use for dash-juices instead because the stamina bar empties fast in this game compared to 4U)
Speaking of dash juice... the fish you hunt with a harpoon will give dash juice as a carve drop, and some will give immunizes as well. It's alot easier to get dash juice in this game as you can farm fish and Royal Ludroth's.
.....in bed.
-All hail the magic pixel! HR28 MH3U, HR321 MH4U, HR100 MHGen

User Info: Fattomatoguy

Fattomatoguy
1 month ago#6
Im currently a charge blade main in 4u but i know that isn't in 3u so i was thinking Maybe a gs but i cant deal with the constant slash, evade, sheath, slash, evade, sheath. I later thought about hammer but charging headfirst into the... Head... Seems like suicide so i was thinking maybe db?
fite mee dumb dumb

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
1 month ago#7
You get used to it xD. Hitting the head tends to be the best way to deal damage no matter which wep you use so just pick what feels fun. Afterall, you could be playing this game for hundreds of hours. I recommend you check all the weps and see which one feels nice. Surely there is 1 or more weps you will like. I personally love LS and Bow but the Lance and SnS are also very fun for me.

Olympic swimmer is very nice to have imo.
MHGen Ign: Soleil, Mordecai
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)

User Info: Limebeer

Limebeer
1 month ago#8
Fattomatoguy posted...
Im currently a charge blade main in 4u but i know that isn't in 3u so i was thinking Maybe a gs but i cant deal with the constant slash, evade, sheath, slash, evade, sheath. I later thought about hammer but charging headfirst into the... Head... Seems like suicide so i was thinking maybe db?

DB's are fun. I usually use them until I unlock good SnS's . You can make pretty decent Dragon DB's from the Bnahabra's, it's one of the very few Dragon Weapons you can get in Low Rank, I just wish that they lasted better into G-Rank...
As for GS, the Slash/Evade/Slash tactic is generally for Online, you can get some fun combo's actually if you go against it. You will want Focus on your armor though.
And for charging head first into the head... it's a very good tactic really, as you will get stuns and flinches for days. You just gotta be sure to keep good positioning to not get fireballed. i generally go for the head with my SnS.
You could try SA, it's alot of fun to play with!
.....in bed.
-All hail the magic pixel! HR28 MH3U, HR321 MH4U, HR100 MHGen

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived