used to think swords > daggers for assassins...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. used to think swords > daggers for assassins...

User Info: conspiraicies

conspiraicies
3 years ago#11
With fighter pawns, it's best to just leave secondary skills empty. They only need shields for deflect and nothing else. Of course, we already know that, I just thought I'd get that out of the way.

But with the Arisen, there's no reason to leave any skill slot empty since you can just use the skills when you need them. That said, I still don't find myself using shield skills very often other than to block. XD

I suppose Swift Castle is something I should try to use more. A ring upgrade should give it a knock back effect, so that you're pretty much a human bulldozer! X)
That's not to say that it needs an upgrade, just that I should probably use it more.
"Teabag with honor..."

User Info: Forum_Pirate

Forum_Pirate
3 years ago#12
Assassins aren't really capable of tanking. They can block/perfect block but horrible defense growth and light armor are not conducive to tanking unless you can reliably perfect block everything in multi enemy encounters, and not getting dragons maws i frames or divine defense to cover your mistakes and crowd control is a pretty serious deficit when you're facing down 3 or 4 garm or 9 pawns that can all 2 shot you.

I really only use divine defense (as a fighter, naturally) for shield skills, where lightning/arrows are involved in bbi they're often rather dangerous and I can rarely perfect block them.

User Info: Derdak54

Derdak54
3 years ago#13
Forum_Pirate posted...
Assassins aren't really capable of tanking. They can block/perfect block but horrible defense growth and light armor are not conducive to tanking unless you can reliably perfect block everything in multi enemy encounters, and not getting dragons maws i frames or divine defense to cover your mistakes and crowd control is a pretty serious deficit when you're facing down 3 or 4 garm or 9 pawns that can all 2 shot you.

I really only use divine defense (as a fighter, naturally) for shield skills, where lightning/arrows are involved in bbi they're often rather dangerous and I can rarely perfect block them.

they sure not appropriate for tanking , but i had tons of fun playing as a sword and board assassin, its kinda more challenging , and i just love dire gouge skill , i made my "debut" on Ur hunting with a ascalon assassin back in the days , and dire gouge was my favorite DPS skill , even though strider and hundred kisses are still superior DPS wise , i always prefered contributing the assassin way :)
assassin do have full moon slash for invincible frames , its also one of my go-to skill on this class when going swords
GT/PSN: Derdak54 , pawn: Tessa
Active GTs: CargoLigne51 , pawn: Noork , fighter/warrior

User Info: conspiraicies

conspiraicies
3 years ago#14
Thing is, this is an action RPG. Yeah, in an MMO or a turn based rpg, of course I'm going to stack high HP and resistances so that I can take hits for the rest of the party. But who needs high defenses when perfect blocks, dodge rolls+instant reset, and i-frame let you avoid hits while still staying in the enemies' face? Sure, it takes practice, but the potential is there.

Also, don't assassins have Escape Onslaught/Shriking Offensive for even more i-frame goodness? Although you'd have to sacrifice harness or reset for that...
"Teabag with honor..."

User Info: Jules_McGrules

Jules_McGrules
3 years ago#15
They absolutely can tank, I've been doing it for two years now. You can argue that the build doesn't favor it, and that heavily depends on how the player is built. Plenty of Assassins can take a hit and then some. The reason I favor daggers over sword (most of the time) is just as Conspiracies and I mentioned; speed and mobility. Anything you can't block or deflect you nope the f*** out of the way with Instant Reset+Dodge Roll.

I don't claim to have spectacular reflexes, but believe you me when I say it works. X)

And Escape Onslaught/Shirking Offensive is awesome. I prefer it over the 'lol easy mode' that is Masterful Kill, though that skill is undeniably cool.
Ser Bruno Level 200 Fighter PSN Jules_McGrules2, Shondra Level 200 Strider PSN Jules_McGrules3, Ser Johann Level <150 Warrior/Fighter PSN joolsmacgrools
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. used to think swords > daggers for assassins...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived