The Absolute Pawn Contest 2015 - Official Thread

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. The Absolute Pawn Contest 2015 - Official Thread

User Info: _ard

_ard
3 years ago#1
Come one, come all! It is finally here!

*** Welcome to the Absolute Pawn Contest! *** (updated 15-12-2014)

http://i.imgur.com/uuW4kjf.png

You may remember the Ultimate Pawn Contest from the vanilla days run by no other than Diceman. Based off this contest we have another huge showdown between pawns, this time focusing on the new content provided by Dark Arisen.

This is the absolute contest to decide who is the absolutest pawn of them all! The method to do so is twofold. Your pawn will be judged by appearance as well as their aptitude to kill and survive. What’s more, you will get the chance to watch it all happen through recordings of the battles!

READ ALL AND READ WELL if you wish to enter. Thank you.

*** Part A: Appearance ***

One part of the contest is the appearance contest. Screenshots will be made of your pawn and then posted anonymously in a poll on this board. People can vote for the pawn they believe looks the best and dressed the best. The number of pawns per poll depends on the number of contestants. For the sake of giving each pawn a fair chance I will keep the polls small (5-7 pawns). Longer polls may be testing attention spans.

- Soliciting for votes will get you banned from the entire tournament. Don’t be an Unspeabakle Meat like that.
- Calista is banned from the appearance contest as she would win by default.
- Polls will feature a close-up of your pawn’s face and a shot showing their entire outfit in a set location.

Be sure to outfit your pawn in something that looks nice and matches their physical appearance.

*** Ranking ***
Your pawns will be ranked according to their total number of votes received (cross-polls). For their ranking they will receive ranking points, equal to:

Ranking points = Number of contestants – (ranking – 1)

- If you rank 1st out of 20, you receive 20 points.
- If you rank 20th out 20 you will receive 1 point.
- If multiple pawns end up in the same spot due to an identical score, they will all get the same ranking and its points. The next ranked pawn will receive ranking for the spot it is in on the list. Example: 3 pawns place 1st out of 20, they all receive 20 points. The next pawn is the 4th pawn on the list and is thus ranked 4th with 17 points.

Your ranking points will be carried over to calculate your final ranking.

*** Part B: Combat ***

The other part and probably your most favourite part: combat. Pawns will run through a series of battles to test their ability to kill and survive. Here’s how it works:

Upon registration you can select a couple of vocations you wish your pawn to fight alongside with. I will try to match all pawns with a vocation of your preference. This will be their battle buddy.
- You cannot select a specific pawn as your battle buddy.
- Your battle buddy is randomised (while still considering your vocation preference).
- Your battle buddy may differ from one battle to another. I will run arenas in batches (Rotunda of Dread, Black Abbey w/ Fiend-luring Essence, Black Abbey w/o FLE) and will randomise battle buddies in between every batch. Pawns never get to choose their own allies after all.

*** Battle procedure ***
The Arisen will not interfere in the battle whatsoever. She will jump into the arena and aggro all the enemies below and lead them to your pawns to lose said aggro. From there on the pawns are completely on their own. No commands, no reviving, nothing. A timer will start running as soon as the Arisen splats into the arena.

The battle ends when:
- All enemies have been defeated (victory), OR
- All contestants have been defeated (failure), OR
- The timer reaches its maximum of ten minutes (survival)

_ard
3 years ago#2
I will record all battles and put them on my Youtube for your viewing pleasure. These will show pure and unadultered footage of your pawn’s performance, wether it is stellar or horrible. Experience has shown that encoding the footage and uploading are very time consuming tasks. The posting of videos and their results will be slow and irregular. My plan is to mostly devote my time to this on weekends.

For a look on how things go down in practice take a look at some videos on the APC Trials playlist on my Youtube, showcasing some mock battles.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB3IRrDoA_-MsVoOH817PcfqPLrl1AoUl

*** Calista ***
Calista will be there to help your pawns through their battles with a smile. With Shield Drum she may or may not take some heat off your own pawn, tank them and perhaps damage them with Dragon’s Maw. Her build is:

Pawn Name: Calista
Pawn Vocation: Fighter
Pawn Level: 200
1st Inclination: Pioneer
2nd Inclination: Challenger
Skills: Dragon’s Maw/Burst Strike/Shield Drum
Augments: Bastion/Awareness/Longevity/Vigilance/Endurance/Proficiency

Weapon 1: Cursed Light
Weapon 2: Dread Aspis
Head Armor: Laurel Circlet
Torso Armor: Hellfire Armor (health regen)
Torso Clothing: Patterned Gambeson
Arms Armor: Hellfire Gauntlets (enchantment prolongation)
Leg Armor: Hellfire Greave (carry capacity)
Leg Clothing: Delta Guard
Cape: Sovereign’s Mantle
Ring 1: Savior Ring
Ring 2: Master Ring (stamina+)

Obviously this outfit won’t win her any appearance contest, but it will serve during the battles. Calista’s build is always the same in every single fight. This is the only variable that is set in stone for you. Calista will be in the Rift with this build at most times for you to test your builds before the final registration date passes.

*** Battle arenas ***
After some careful selection, these arenas will be the venues your pawn will have to work their way through in this order. By no means are they easy to survive, let alone easy to clear. Be sure to outfit your pawn in something that keeps them well safe.

- Arena of Awkward Estrangement
1 Bondageclops & 1 Gorecyclops & Armoured Cyclops at Black Abbey

- Arena of Extreme Anxiety
3 Banshees & 3 Poisoned Undead & 3 Silver Knights at Black Abbey

- Old Men Musk Arena
3 Eliminators & 3 Elder Ogres & 3 Sirens at Rotunda of Dread (w/ Fiend-luring Essence)

- The Doghouse
5 Garm & 2 Hellhounds & 2 Wargs at Black Abbey (w/ Fiend-luring Essence)

*** Scoring ***
Per battle you can earn the following points:

- Points will be awarded for survival:
Seconds survived * 10 (to a maximum of 600 seconds/6000points)

- Points will be awarded for victory:
Seconds remaining until the 10 min. mark * 10

- Points will be awarded for slaying monsters:
Base XP / 10 per monster slain

Monster base XP:
Elder Ogre 32000
Eliminator 24000
Siren 2100
Garm 29000
Hellhound 2560
Warg 1440
Silver Knight 8500 per knight
Poisoned undead 4200
Banshee 2450
Bondageclops 57000
Gorecyclops 26500
Cyclops 4000

- Monsters killed through enemy friendly fire do not count! The XP amount must show on the right hand side of the screen for the kill to count as a pawn kill.
- Your arena score equals the total amount of points from these three things.
- Your scores will be posted alongside the battle videos of your pawn.

_ard
3 years ago#3
*** Ranking ***
Your pawns will be ranked per arena, receiving ranking points for each ranking. These ranking points are calculated as followed:

Ranking points = (Number of contestants – (ranking – 1)

- If you rank 1st out of 20, you receive 20 points.
- If you rank 20th out 20 you will receive 1 point.
- If multiple pawns end up in the same spot due to an identical score, they will all get the same ranking and its points. The next ranked pawn will receive ranking for the spot it is in on the list. Example: 3 pawns place 1st out of 20, they all receive 20 points. The next pawn is the 4th pawn on the list and is thus ranked 4th with 17 points.

Your ranking points will be carried over to calculate your final ranking.

*** Items ***
Your pawns will not be equipped with any item whatsoever. No health regen, no stamina regen, no Wyrmking’s Ring. Nothing! Also, the augment Tenacity is banned from this contest, as is the mage’s staff Legion’s Might.

*** Mode ***
This contest will be carried on hard mode only. You want to be the absolutest? Your pawn better be able to handle hard mode.

*** Final Ranking ***

Your pawn’s final ranking will be determined by adding up all their ranking points from:

1. The Appearance contest
2. The Doghouse Arena
3. Old Men Musk Arena
4. Arena of Extreme Anxiety
5. Arena of Awkward Estrangement

*** Tie-breakers ***

If two pawns end up with the same score in the final ranking we will determine the better pawn through one of two methods that the owners of the pawns can choose themselves.

1. Another combat run using the standard combat rules, at the one and only Death Metal Arena (7 Living Armour & 2 Liches at the Black Abbey).
2. A game of _ard’s Chest Roulette at the Forsaken Cathedral.

The winner of either one of these games will receive an extra .5 ranking point.

*** Registration ***

- A maximum of two pawns can be entered per person.
- Pawns must be at least level 150 to enter.
- You can enter only one build per pawn. Yes, this means your pawn will go through both the appearance contest as well as all the battles in the exact same clothes, with the exact same skills and augments equipped.
- Considering the time it takes it finish the videos, I don’t expect you to keep your pawn in the Rift as the build you entered all the time. (It would make things very easy for me though.) I will announce in advance when I will take your pawn for a run. Please keep an eye on the APC threads at all times to see if your pawn is due for a run and prepare it as you’ve entered it into the contest. If your pawn does not exactly match your entry, we’ll run into unnecessary delays.
- Second inclination is optional.
- All skills, augments, weapons and gear are optional. If you leave a field blank I will assume nothing is equipped for that slot.
- If you don’t mention any specific vocation in the vocation slot, I will assume you meant “any”.
- You may fill out as many preferred partner vocations as you want.
- Legion’s Might (mage staff) and Tenacity (augment) are banned.

*** Post this template with your pawn’s data in this thread***

PSN:
Pawn Name:
Pawn Vocation:
Pawn Level:
1st Inclination:
2nd Inclination:
Skills:
Augments:

Weapon 1:
Weapon 2:
Head Armor:
Torso Armor:
Torso Clothing:
Arms Armor:
Leg Armor:
Leg Clothing:
Cape:
Ring 1:
Ring 2:

Preferred partner vocation(s):

_ard
3 years ago#4
The closing date for this contest is January 1st 2015

- You can edit your entries as many times as you like before the closing date, but be clear about which version you want to use.
- INCORRECT ENTRIES WILL BE IGNORED!!!

*** Links ***

Latest version of the APC rules (Word)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77230877/APC%20rules.docx

APC contestants and scores spreadsheet (Excel)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77230877/APC%20pawns%20scores.xlsx

APC matches video playlist on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB3IRrDoA_-OwRe7AS6Ab-HkQwNfvcmCU

Trials video playlist on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB3IRrDoA_-MsVoOH817PcfqPLrl1AoUl

APC development thread
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/684236-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen/70763006

This contest will take a long time. Keep an eye on this official APC thread for the latest information and announcements!

Calista will be in the Rift until the registration date in the build described above for your testing purposes. If she's not, feel free to request she be changed.

User Info: Jules_McGrules

Jules_McGrules
3 years ago#5
Nicely put together. X)
Ser Bruno Level 200 Fighter PSN Jules_McGrules2, Shondra Level 200 Strider PSN Jules_McGrules3, Ser Johann Level <150 Warrior/Fighter PSN joolsmacgrools

User Info: Sephivengeance9

Sephivengeance9
3 years ago#6
And BAM, she's back! I may switch out Ingle for Comestion pending some testing to see how well Adrianna uses it. I may or may not enter a second pawn at a slightly later date.

PSN: Nasha842
Pawn Name: Adrianna
Pawn Vocation: Sorcerer
Pawn Level: 200
1st Inclination: Utilitarian
2nd Inclination: Challenger
Skills:
¬ High Ingle
¬ Grand Levin
¬ High Gicel

¬ High Bolide
¬ High Seism
¬ High Maelstrom
Augments:
¬ Awareness
¬ Attunement
¬ Acuity
¬ Conservation
¬ Gravitas
¬ Articulacy

Weapon 1: Sanguine Stalk
Weapon 2: N/A

Head Armor: Diadem
Torso Armor: Dalmatica
Torso Clothing: Maiden's Camisole
Arms Armor: Gleaming Bangles
Leg Armor: Flame Skirt
Leg Clothing: Twisted Leathers
Cape: Nebula Cape
Ring 1: Dragonblood
Ring 2: Staff-Bearer's Ring

Preferred partner vocation: I've not really noticed how well she works with other pawns. Though, I imagine she'd work well with another Sorcerer.
My Agent Hunt vids.
http://tinyurl.com/caoo5f3

Jules_McGrules
3 years ago#7
Are the pawns going to be carrying lanterns? Because I personally don't care for giving them lanterns myself; when drenching comes into play(not very often, thankfully) pawns have this irritating habit of stopping what they're doing and dicking around with the lanterns. It makes them quite the sitting duck, if only for a second. Just a thought.
Ser Bruno Level 200 Fighter PSN Jules_McGrules2, Shondra Level 200 Strider PSN Jules_McGrules3, Ser Johann Level <150 Warrior/Fighter PSN joolsmacgrools

_ard
3 years ago#8
Nah, there's no point. The arena is well lit with Radiance and an Elite Lantern on my Arisen. Also even if I did give them lanterns, there is no water or enemy that inflicts drenching to be found in these arenas. I will make sure all pawns are at max health and cured of all debilitations before the fight starts too.
PSN ardpsiko | Calista L200 Fighter http://i.imgur.com/yjLtOZP.jpg (by YoruPoru)
Pics: http://bit.ly/1klmfr4 | videos: http://bit.ly/1vMnmZ6

Jules_McGrules
3 years ago#9
The gorechimera is one and also some saurians, but I don't think they're even going to be encountered in the arenas. Thanks.

User Info: 500up

500up
3 years ago#10
As I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't mind entering Autumn with Great Gamble, just to see how smart she is or isn't, but i'm thinking she'll die quick and this would handicap the other pawn and I don't think this would be fair to the other pawns to handicap them early on. I guess i'm just looking to see what you think about this.
With or without GG I plan on entering her for the sheer entertainment of it all.
PSN fivehundredup Pawn Summer 200 (main)
PSN imkilgoretrout1 Pawn Autumn 200 (alt)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. The Absolute Pawn Contest 2015 - Official Thread

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived