Why is this game so popular?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. Why is this game so popular?

User Info: thefinalzapkeet

thefinalzapkeet
1 year ago#11
I like this game but you guys are giving the pawn's evolution and ai way too much credit. In the final final boss (where your pawn has to hold them for the final blow or you hold them so your pawn's kills them) it took me about an hour to get my pawn to stop trying to heal me and grab onto the guy. My pawn's turn into guardians without me wanting it and all they do is stick by me without ever attacking. There's no way to shout to my pawn "hey! I'm blind! Cure my blindness instead of trying to heal me" which would have made sense from a story perspective.

Also, stamina regenerates way too slowly. It's ok in battles, but traveling the world gets boring fast when you can't sprint for long times. In addition, very easily misable quests with no warning, being able to accidentally sell quest items with no options to buy back, and lack of multiple save slots make this game frustrating when it need not be.

It's a great game but very clunky, I hope they make a sequel that is ironed out
Go the Distance is the most inspirational song ever
those that agree: 50

User Info: Narsiku

Narsiku
1 year ago#12
thefinalzapkeet posted...
I like this game but you guys are giving the pawn's evolution and ai way too much credit. In the final final boss (where your pawn has to hold them for the final blow or you hold them so your pawn's kills them) it took me about an hour to get my pawn to stop trying to heal me and grab onto the guy. My pawn's turn into guardians without me wanting it and all they do is stick by me without ever attacking. There's no way to shout to my pawn "hey! I'm blind! Cure my blindness instead of trying to heal me" which would have made sense from a story perspective.

Also, stamina regenerates way too slowly. It's ok in battles, but traveling the world gets boring fast when you can't sprint for long times. In addition, very easily misable quests with no warning, being able to accidentally sell quest items with no options to buy back, and lack of multiple save slots make this game frustrating when it need not be.

It's a great game but very clunky, I hope they make a sequel that is ironed out

Have you pushed the inclinations you want to sky rocketing values?

My main Pawn is a Mage and casts Hali/Spellscreen and Ano frequently when needed, and still deals out damage with offensive spells.

Stamina is dependent on the type of character you have also, and if sprinting is an issue, making room for the Augment Athleticism is a great choice.

I can agree with the *important* quests, but I just start a NG+ which isn't much work. You can buy quest items back at the Black Cat iirc.
PSN: Narsiku Arisen: Kurai /// PSN: ll_Narsik_ll Arisen: Melonie
Pawn: Hikari (Inactive, Pure Mage Support) /// Pawn: Melodie (Active, Balanced Fighter)

User Info: Morvoni

Morvoni
1 year ago#13
My pawn's turn into guardians without me wanting it and all they do is stick by me without ever attacking.

While many of your complaints have some legitimacy, this one is totally on you. It simply takes some effort on your part to understand AND THEN USE the system to resolve this guardian problem. My shield/fighter main pawn (a class notorious for turning into guardian, especially with shield equipped) hasn't seen guardian since the beginning of the game, it doesn't even creep up when I sit her in the knowledge chair.

Your actions, the make-up of your party, the inclinations of your party, the orders you give them, the enemies you fight/avoid and the way you fight them, the items you give them, the skills you equip them with...it all matters.

My pawn is Scather/Utilitarian all the way, and the only reason I have to use inclination potions is to keep Scather above Utilitarian. In the third spot is Mitigator...pretty much always. Sometimes Medicant or Challenger creeps up into the third spot, but never Guardian. From what I've seen, Guardian is a result of playing the game without effort towards the inclination system. It is then compounded by this negligence because people then fill their party with other Guardians from the rift...which makes the problem worse from what I've observed.
Troll: A Cheeky,Tough-Talking Internerd; utilizing disruptive antics to fuel its Anti-Social Dysfunctionalism. On Internerd Bravery-Anon

User Info: METLMASHER

METLMASHER
1 year ago#14
Obviously this board thinks it's a great game, and you're welcome to your own opinion as well.

I just can't stand to have someone miss how cool this game is over some superficial blemishes.

Best to you.
PSN: METLMASHER http://opsc.dark-arisen.com/upload/519.jpg
PSN: METLMASHER777 http://opsc.dark-arisen.com/upload/542.jpg

thefinalzapkeet
1 year ago#15
Narsiku posted...
Have you pushed the inclinations you want to sky rocketing values?

yeah, only way i can kind of get them to do what i want. The guy above mentioned how the AI reflects and reacts to your playstyle, when they really don't. yelling at them for help to heal me increases their guardian inclination as opposed to their medicant for example. Which is frustrating. How i would prefer it to work is give us a sort of weapon wheel type of device like in Mass Effect which doesn't let us take direct control of the characters, but lets us issue orders. Say you have a Fighter Pawn and you begin every battle telling them to use the shield taunt, then the AI learns this and will eventually start out battles with the taunt without being told to. If you're hurt AND on fire you can command your mage to cure your fire and then heal you, so when they see you're both hurt and have a bad effect, they'll focus on the effect first. Also you could teach them not to use the second tier of spells every single time.

As of now, if you want to get them to kind of do what you want, you get them to chug down potions. And even then it isn't perfect. At the very least why can't we just manually go into a menu and set their inclinations? I can do it in the dragon age series, why not this one?

Narsiku posted...

Stamina is dependent on the type of character you have also, and if sprinting is an issue, making room for the Augment Athleticism is a great choice.

I hadn't heard about atheticism, i may have to train the vocation just for this one. Still though, while minor, i do wish stamina would restore quickly outside of battle. walking slowly isn't really a game feature or challenge, it's just annoying. especially a game with no fast travel (unless you own DA and have the eternal ferrystone)

Narsiku posted...
I can agree with the *important* quests, but I just start a NG+ which isn't much work.

very true, it just kind of stinks on your first playthrough when you want to do everything

Narsiku posted...
You can buy quest items back at the Black Cat iirc.

you can, except for the set of royal guard armor (which i'll admit i'm still slightly bitter about :P even though it was my fault). But, especially due to the fact that you can't equip every weapon you can use, it can sometimes be easy to accidentally sell an item you didn't mean to. Sure, just be careful and all, but having a buyback feature doesn't really hurt anything or increase the challenge. and every other RPG has it (even MMOs) so it's just kind of like why? although it's a very minor complaint compared to my issues with the AI

thefinalzapkeet
1 year ago#16
Morvoni posted...
While many of your complaints have some legitimacy, this one is totally on you. It simply takes some effort on your part to understand AND THEN USE the system to resolve this guardian problem. My shield/fighter main pawn (a class notorious for turning into guardian, especially with shield equipped) hasn't seen guardian since the beginning of the game, it doesn't even creep up when I sit her in the knowledge chair.

This is my main issue, the "system" is basically chugging potions or else using a wiki to understand how it works (how should i know that spamming "go" makes them into scather? and asking for help/healing makes them more into guardian). I did give an example at how i feel like they should have done it better.

Even then, why is it that guardians will just sometimes stand around not attacking? The description is that they'll stay by and protect the arisen, but i'll be getting beat down by enemies only to have them just walking around with their weapons unsheathed, which is pretty common with guardians apparently? Sure we can avoid making them guardians, but why include a glitchy inclination in there in the first place then?

User Info: Morvoni

Morvoni
1 year ago#17
but why include a glitchy inclination in there in the first place then?

My honest opinion?...to punish people for not using the system and reward people for using it (pawns that are more appealing to rent). And no, if you use the system correctly it isn't just chugging potions. My description of what I do to manipulate inclinations only requires use of a potion for one piece of the puzzle. That sure as hell doesn't equal "basically chugging potions".

Still, if you don't feel like figuring the system out...then chuggning potions is your option...which pretty much effectively solves the problem while still requiring some effort by the player and incurs a cost in Rift Crystals (a currency that was a bit more precious before DA).
Troll: A Cheeky,Tough-Talking Internerd; utilizing disruptive antics to fuel its Anti-Social Dysfunctionalism. On Internerd Bravery-Anon

User Info: DaDarkSoulsGuy

DaDarkSoulsGuy
1 year ago#18
bunnyrebellion posted...
dragons dogma is a brand new genre, a new IP and you have to experience it to really see what it has to offer.

full 3D environment, real time combat (no turn based crap), sweet controls and absolute freedom in a beautifully rendered world with dungeons and scenery that will take your breath away. no top-down, no first person stuff. sorry if you like that, I just don't. it's very "realistic", much more so than any game I can think of except maybe if you like Zelda twilight princess you have an idea of what is to be expected but add a cool new pawn system, suddenly you have a Zelda-type game but it's got a multiplayer component!!!! imagine!

the pawn system is what truly sets this game totally apart from anything out there.

you create your pawn (it's your sidekick, your co-op partner if you will), and fully customizable with a complex AI algorythm that allows your pawn to learn and practice battle techniques and behavior to suit your style and preferences.

if you create a pretty young mage to provide healing support and just be eye candy, sure, that's great. or a brutal warrior to tank his way into battle and provide distracting cover, or a sorcerer or a ranger, all are options. each pawn can be customized to look and behave exactly as you wish, down to how often they pick up items or how frequently they charge the strongest foe.

you choose from several other vocations for yourself, and the weapons are amazing, the skills and augments and armor are so vast and customizable.

and you get two open spots in your party, you "hire" the pawns that were created by another gamer. if you want a beast, you hire someone that has a pawn created specifically to kick serious butt with complete disregard for manners or decorum. you want a few young ladies to stroll around town and gather berries, you can choose those. or you can hire the pawns that are created to look like dumbledore or hagrid and bring them both along to cast spells and carry your blast arrows.

because the AI is so deep and evolves gradually, pawns can and do behave like real people, except they don't rage quit, but they will do the most amazing things that will leave you completely amazed, annoyed, speechless and you start yelling at the TV and realize you are having SO MUCH fun.

and you basically never run out of stuff to do, there are always new pawns to help train, by bringing them into your game, they learn and earn and you can gift stuff.
you can make the most amazing friends in this game, and you are just working with your pawns, so there is still a nice element of privacy and anonymity that is so missing in our digital lives.

coming down the road is a new game called dragons dogma online, hit youtube or twitch to see the next generation of this game where you will be blown away by the graphics and gameplay, it also features "true" multiplayer and a combination of multiplayer and gamer parties, your choice. it will be free to play (no commitments), and feature cross platform (PS3, PS4 and PC) gaming and it's projected for sometime in 2017. (already live in japan for about 10 months now).

so the question is not "why is this game so popular", it's a new IP, give the developers a hot minute to get this next gen thing going.

Hail 2 U.
Rem is best girl. PSN: XInfinityKnightX / Yukihira-Senpai

User Info: Kirchhoff72186

Kirchhoff72186
1 year ago#19
qoOcOop posted...
graphics suck even for ps3 standards. runs like at 20 fps

False. I've yet to find a game from 2012 or before that holds up as well as Dogma. The graphics still look absolutely fine. Frame rate is a non issue unless your machine is about to die. Mine runs perfectly fine.

User Info: Lord Heimdall

Lord Heimdall
1 year ago#20
qoOcOop posted...
graphics suck even for ps3 standards. runs like at 20 fps

Then get the PC version.
Currently Playing: Ace Combat Infinity [PS3], Skyrim [PS3]
If you are a fellow 9GAGger put this on your sig.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. Why is this game so popular?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived