[Guide] EV Training + IV Explanation

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Yo-kai Watch
  3. [Guide] EV Training + IV Explanation

User Info: PokemonClown

PokemonClown
1 year ago#1
First thing first, I'd like to thank the Almighty "togenyan" for making the freaking amazing stats calculator and providing info for this game. You can visit the stats calculator on the link below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/293859/Yokai/yw1/calc_en.html

Attitudes and EV Training
The first thing I'd like to explain is the Attitude. If you see on the stats screen of a Yo-kai, you can find attitude to be divided into two part. The 1st half is to determine the frequency of loafing during battle, and the 2nd half affect the stats you want to improve as well as how your Yo-kai will act during battle.

For the attitude that determine the loafing frequency:
- Serious: Rarely to loaf around
- Stiff: Less likely to loaf around
- Carefree: More likely to loaf around
- Loafer: Often to loaf around

Some Yo-kai have Skill that affect the loafing frequency, for example "Intimidation" makes no Yo-kai will loaf around, "Soothing Rhythm" makes all foes will be prone to loafing around.

You can give your Yo-kai "A Serious Life" book to make it loaf less. A Serious Life can be found in many places, as well as rare drop from wild Yo-kai, and you can also buy it in Shopper's Row Bookstore.

For the attitude that affects the stats increase and your Yo-kai battle style:
- Grouchy: More likely to attack (STR & HP)
- Rough: Most likely to attack (STR)
- Logical: More likely to use technique (SPR & SPD)
- Brainy: Most likely to use technique (SPR)
- Twisted: More likely to possess enemy (ATK & SPD)
- Cruel: Most likely to possess enemy (SPD)
- Helpful: More likely to possess ally (HP & SPD)
- Devoted: Most likely to possess ally (ATK & DEF)
- Gentle: More likely to heal ally (HP & SPR)
- Tender: Most likely to heal ally (HP)
- Careful: More likely to guard (DEF & SPR)
- Calm: Most likely to guard (DEF)
*notes: in the parantheses is the affected stats. HP stands for Hit Points, STR for Strength, SPR for Spirit, DEF for Defense, and SPD for Speed.

You can change the attitude for your Yo-kai by giving it certain book (also can be bought from Bookstore), but a Yo-kai have a set of attitude they can and can't change into, for example Cruncha can't change to Tender (HP).

How actually these attitudes affect stats?
Each Yo-kai have what I'd call "Attitude Point" or AP. A Yo-kai starts at 0 AP when newly befriended/obtained, and each time a Yo-kai reached certain amount of AP, that Yo-kai will then gain Effort Value or EV for short.

There are total of 10 stages of the "amount of AP required" to gain EV: 10, 20, 40, 60, 90, 120, 160, 200, 250, and 300.

For each stages reached, attitude that only affect one stats will gives 2 EVs on that stats, while attitude that affect two stats will give 1 EV to each affected stats. Since there are 10 stages, the maximum amount of EV on single stats that can be reached is 20 EVs, or 10 EVs each for attitude that affect two stats.

For example, when a Rough Cruncha (STR) reached 10 AP, it will gain 2 EVs on STR. When it reached 20 AP, it will gain another 2 EVs on STR, and so on until it reached 300 AP which gives a total of 20 EVs on STR.

Each EV gained will gives stats based on the level of Yo-kai. At level 99, each 2 EVs gives +3 points to the stats, which means 20 EVs gives huge +30 points in total.
N3DS FC: 4313-0735-4622 [Mii: Noir | X & AS IGN: Xenon]
3DS FC: 4828-7102-9898 [Mii: Xenon | Y & OR IGN: Ylva]

PokemonClown
1 year ago#2
How to increase Attitude Point?
There are two ways of increasing Attitude Point, the first one is from battle, and the second one is from using Exporb.

Each battle gives a Yo-kai 1 AP. So, it takes at least 300 battles to reach 300 AP.

Exporb gives Attitude Point based on the kind of Exporb used. Small Exporb gives 3 AP, Medium Exporb 6 AP, Large Exporb 12 AP, Mega Exporb 20 AP, and Holy Exporb 30 AP. With that being said, you can reach 300 AP by only using 10 Holy Exporb. That's a lot faster than battle for sure. This topic covers a way to use Yo-kai Cam to gain a ton of Holy Exporbs, and many others: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/687859-yo-kai-watch/72818902

When you reached each stages of required AP, the EV will be added to your stats without the need of leveling up. If you reached level 99 and you still haven't reached 300 AP, basically you need to work your Yo-kai through battles to gain AP because the game won't let you use Exporb anymore. The leveling trick, fighting against three LV 99 Bloominoko on Streetpass battle may cause this to happen, because even if it gives tons of exp, it only counts as 1 battle which gives your team only 1 AP.

Can I switch Attitude around while EV training?
Yes. For the calculation, let's say, after reached 20 AP, a Rough Cruncha gained 4 EV on STR, then you decide to switch to Careful (DEF & SPR). When that Cruncha reaches the next stage of required AP, which is 40 AP, it will gain 1 EV on both DEF and SPR. This makes that Cruncha have 40 AP, 2 EV on STR, 1 EV on DEF, and 1 EV on SPR.

After I reached 300 AP, what's next?
Even if Attitude won't gives you extra stats anymore, it still determine how your Yo-kai will act during battle. Read the Attitude list above to help you decide which Attitude you would like to go with.

Individual Values aka IV
Just like in Pokemon, IV is randomly generated. There are 3 kind of IVs in this game:

1. Tribe Individual Value Aka TIV
Each tribe have their own Individual Value on certain stats:
- Slippery: HP
- Brave: STR
- Mysterious: SPR
- Tough: DEF
- Charm: SPD
- Shady: HP/SPD
- Eerie: STR/SPR
- Heartful: DEF/SPR

So far, it is still not surely known about the max amount of TIV a Yo-kai can have. From a ton of research done, a Tribe that focused on single stats, like Slippery (HP) and Brave (STR), seems to reached 8 points at maximum of TIV on one stats. While tribe that affect two stats, like Shady (HP/SPD) seems to reached 4 TIV maximum for each stats.

TIV sclaed with the level of the Yo-kai. At level 99, 8 TIV on HP gives ~87 points on HP, while 8 TIV on other stats gives ~39/40 points.

2. Individual Value
In Pokemon, you can get 31 IVs on all stats, but in Yo-Kai Watch, each Yo-kai can only have a total of 10 IVs that distributed to 5 stats (HP - STR - SPR - DEF - SPD).

The combination of IVs varies, and its possible for stats to have 0 IV. From my testing, I only found two stats at 0-IV at best. My Manjimutt has 3-3-4-0-0. I'm not really sure but maybe it's possible to have 3 0-IVs, or even 4 0-IVs. Maybe they're just very rare.

IV scales with level as well, just like TIV. 10 IVs on HP gives ~109 points, while 10 IVs on other stats gives ~49/50 points.

PokemonClown
1 year ago#3
3. Individual Value B (For Fused / Evolved Yo-kai only)
Fused and Evolved Yo-kai have another IV in addition to the normal IV, let's just call this IV-B. Currently, it's not known how this IV-B works, no clue on the limit (maybe even no limit) on the amount IV-B can have. One thing for sure is that a Yo-kai that can be obtained through fusing/evolving, but instead obtained by befriending will have 0 IV-B on all stats. With this logic, Castelius Max that obtained from fusing/evolving should have higher stats than wild Castelius Max. Again, no real clue on how exactly this IV-B works. According to togenyan, IV-B seems to generated randomly.

IV-B also scales with level.

----------------------------------------------

Just for fun thought
If 4 0-IVs is possible, then Rough Cruncha with 20 EVs, 8 TIVs, and 10 IVs on STR, will have 321 STR, which is 119 points higher than the base (202).

----------------------------------------------

I guess that's all for this guide. Again I'd like to thank you the Almighty togenyan, as well as to BMSirius for a lot of input and discussion. Sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue.

Good luck on hunting the stats you want!
(message deleted)

PokemonClown
1 year ago#5
Hey, thanks for the input on prev thread!

That part actually coming from PM with togenyan: "It seems that IV_B_1 and IV_B_2 are generated randomly."

And all IVs actually scaled off on level. This can be proven by using LV 99 Cruncha, Uncle Infinite, and Mama Aura for example. If you put 0 on everything, and then 10 on let's say IV A STR, Cruncha and Mama Aura will have +49 STR to their stats, while Uncle gained +50, even thought Cruncha having the obvious higher STR from the start. On the lower level, LV 50 for example, 10 STR IV A gives Uncle Infinite +37 STR, Cruncha +25, and Mama Aura +17. The reason why Uncle have higher STR on level 50 that Cruncha (which has higher base level STR), actually is the "STR Growth", in which Uncle higher than Cruncha.

User Info: BMSirius

BMSirius
1 year ago#6
PokemonClown posted...
Hey, thanks for the input on prev thread!

That part actually coming from PM with togenyan: "It seems that IV_B_1 and IV_B_2 are generated randomly."

Actually it scaled off based on level. This can be proven by using LV 99 Cruncha and Mama Aura for example. If you put 0 on everything, and then 10 on let's say IV A STR, each will have +49 STR to their stats, even thought Cruncha having the obvious higher STR from the start.

Wow. Those are both... really important to know.

So, seriously? IVs provide the same amount of stats to all Yo-Kai equally? That... is important info. I just tested what you said, and you are totally right. I deleted my old post for being blatantly incorrect. Thank you!
"Look, two pees and a tripod!" - Eminem
3DS FC: 3136-7085-7079. Currently playing: Puzzle and Dragons Z (3DS)

PokemonClown
1 year ago#7
Almost equally, in some cases it add +50 instead of +49, which why I include both in the IV section. Oh btw, I edited my prev post to add Uncle Infinite case, in which Uncle have lower base STR but higher STR growth than Cruncha. At level 50 and 10 STR IV A, the bonus STR for Uncle > Cruncha, but at level 99 Uncle = Cruncha. This lead me to conclusion base STR might be scaled on level.

User Info: BMSirius

BMSirius
1 year ago#8
PokemonClown posted...
Almost equally, in some cases it add +50 instead of +49, which why I include both in the IV section. Oh btw, I edited my prev post to add Uncle Infinite case, in which Uncle have lower base STR but higher STR growth than Cruncha. At level 50 and 10 STR IV A, the bonus STR for Uncle > Cruncha, but at level 99 Uncle = Cruncha. This lead me to conclusion base STR might be scaled on level.

My calculations suggested that the higher the stat is, the more bonus you get from IVs in that stat. It's a combination of base and growth together. If you would gain a lot of STR, you'll get more from STR IVs. If you'd gain a little STR, you'll gain less from STR IVs. This was proven time and time again.

The REAL news is that by Lv99, all IV growth is equalized. In other words, yeah, in the short-term, it's better to get IVs in stats that are already good, but in the end, it's less important.
"Look, two pees and a tripod!" - Eminem
3DS FC: 3136-7085-7079. Currently playing: Puzzle and Dragons Z (3DS)

User Info: poochythegenius

poochythegenius
1 year ago#9
So, just so I'm clear on this: IV_A (better known as TIV) is a single IV whose value can vary, but whose stat boost and maximum size of said boost are predetermined by tribe? So hypothetically, two Jibanyan can randomly have identical IV_B_1s, but have different IV_As (i.e. Jibanyan A has an IV_A of 5 while Jibanyan B has an IV_A of 7)?

Also, speculation time: I'm like 90% certain that there's some sort of rounding shenanigans going on with the stat values granted by those IVs; it sounds like 1 non-HP IV should grant 5 points in the stat it boosts, while 1 HP IV should grant 11 HP. It'll be interesting to see if YW2 corrects these rounding errors, and/or if the rounding errors are occurring in the process that grants the stats or just in the game's display of them. Perhaps it has something to do with the level cap being 99 instead of 100? If so, we could probably reverse-calculate the exact points of scaling based on that.

Question about IV_B_2: has anyone tried messing with the fusion components' Attitudes and EVs prior to fusion and comparing the IV_B_2s? Thinking about why I would design a mechanic like that, the only thing I can come up with is that IV_B_2 is supposed to compensate the player somewhat for the EVs and Attack/Technique/Soultimate levels from the component Yo-Kai that get lost upon fusion. (Speaking of which, the exact mechanics/milestones of how those little stars get earned are disappointingly under-documented, but that's a research project for another day. ;-) )

PokemonClown
1 year ago#10
poochythegenius posted...
So, just so I'm clear on this: IV_A (better known as TIV) is a single IV whose value can vary, but whose stat boost and maximum size of said boost are predetermined by tribe? So hypothetically, two Jibanyan can randomly have identical IV_B_1s, but have different IV_As (i.e. Jibanyan A has an IV_A of 5 while Jibanyan B has an IV_A of 7)?

Yes.

Also, speculation time: I'm like 90% certain that there's some sort of rounding shenanigans going on with the stat values granted by those IVs; it sounds like 1 non-HP IV should grant 5 points in the stat it boosts, while 1 HP IV should grant 11 HP. It'll be interesting to see if YW2 corrects these rounding errors, and/or if the rounding errors are occurring in the process that grants the stats or just in the game's display of them. Perhaps it has something to do with the level cap being 99 instead of 100? If so, we could probably reverse-calculate the exact points of scaling based on that.

For that part, yeah, rounding shenanigans did come into play. 10 IVs on HP gives ~109 points, while 10 IVs on other stats gives ~49/50 points. I never seen 110 points on my test before, but I'm not surprise if they exist because of that rounding shenanigans.

Question about IV_B_2: has anyone tried messing with the fusion components' Attitudes and EVs prior to fusion and comparing the IV_B_2s? Thinking about why I would design a mechanic like that, the only thing I can come up with is that IV_B_2 is supposed to compensate the player somewhat for the EVs and Attack/Technique/Soultimate levels from the component Yo-Kai that get lost upon fusion. (Speaking of which, the exact mechanics/milestones of how those little stars get earned are disappointingly under-documented, but that's a research project for another day. ;-) )

The fusion is the confusing part indeed. I did some testing before, IV_B_2 somehow not determined by prev IV_B_1. It seems the game add another random parameter (IV_B_2) when you fused/evolved your Yo-kai. The test can be done by save-reload before fusion, the outcome number totally random. If there's a limit to IV_B_2, like 10 total limit for IV_B_1, the test would be a lot easier. My Castelius Max (from 4 Castelius I fusion + Plat Bar, seems to get ~30 total points IV_B_2).

PokemonClown posted...
So far, it is still not surely known about the max amount of TIV a Yo-kai can have. From a ton of research done, a Tribe that focused on single stats, like Slippery (HP) and Brave (STR), seems to reached 8 points at maximum of TIV on one stats. While tribe that affect two stats, like Shady (HP/SPD) seems to reached 4 TIV maximum for each stats.

I just befriended Betterfly (Heartful - DEF/SPR), the TIV goes 8 SPR, and 0 DEF. So 4 TIV max for each need to be fixed, but I can't edit the post anymore. So far, 8 seems to be the maximum total TIV.
  1. Boards
  2. Yo-kai Watch
  3. [Guide] EV Training + IV Explanation

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived