To those with a loud sounding PS4... (fix listed)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. To those with a loud sounding PS4... (fix listed)

User Info: Ianio82

Ianio82
2 years ago#1
I purchased my PS4 on January 31st of 2014. Between my wife, my son, my daughter, and myself... The PS4 has seen many hours of use. It has always been kept in a well ventilated area and I never turn my A/C off (house stays at 75 degrees F). I also use a can of compressed air to clean out the vents once a month.

When I started using my PS4 a little over a year ago, it was whisper quiet. As the months went on though, the console became louder and louder. Within minutes of firing up a game, the fan would spin up faster and faster, ultimately sounding like a hair dryer.

Looking around on the internet, I found many posts of people complaining of same thing. Well, I decided to find out why my PS4 (and others) were so loud. I found a YouTube vid where a gentleman shows how disassemble a PS4 for cleaning purposes.

PS4 How to properly open, clean & repast without …: http://youtu.be/pdUGnxETQDg

Opened up my PS4 and I was greeted to the dirtiest fan I have ever encountered myself. The fan had a thick layer of dust on all the blades and the heatsink was also full of dust. I am talking MASSIVE amount of dust on fan and heatsink (regardless of the fact that I cleaned my vents monthly and have a moderately clean home).

Cleaned off the fan and heatsink with my can of compressed air. Put PS4 back together... Turned on console and played Bloodborne for an hour to test... NO MORE LOUD SOUNDING PS4. Back to being whisper quiet, just like when I first purchased it.

tl:dr version

If out of warrantee, watch video on how to open PS4 (super simple) then clean fan and heatsink with can of compressed air. Problem solved... Super quiet PS4.

Entire process took about 10 to 15 minutes tops. Makes your PS4 quiet again and lowers the amount of internal heat the dust was trapping inside (this is why the fans kick up in speed and volume, as the internal PS4 temperature heats up rapidly due to dust so the fans have to work harder to draw air into and thru dust to cool console down).

User Info: IceHusky13

IceHusky13
2 years ago#2
Very nice. Thank you for this post. I will use the video's guide in the future if I ever need to. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. :)
My Current Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
My most anticipated PS4 game: Final Fantasy XV

User Info: Aalvi

Aalvi
2 years ago#3
james gordon?
https://www.youtube.com/user/AalVideoGames
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile

User Info: Ianio82

Ianio82
2 years ago#4
Aalvi posted...
james gordon?

I thought same thing. Lol

User Info: TullyBlanchard

TullyBlanchard
2 years ago#5
Aalvi posted...
james gordon?

This is the video we need, but not necessarily deserved.
After touching you, my hands smell like ham.

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
2 years ago#6
You should also replace the thermal compound. Apparently Sony went cheap....again.

User Info: blinkfreak

blinkfreak
2 years ago#7
My PS4 sounds like a jet engine during certain games and has since launch. Resogun and Knack are really bad. I'll give this a try.

User Info: nordendorf

nordendorf
2 years ago#8
been like this since launch, and only in certain games at predictable times

I doubt in my case it is a dirty fan

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
2 years ago#9
nordendorf posted...
been like this since launch, and only in certain games at predictable times

I doubt in my case it is a dirty fan

That's what I thought too. Then I got my new ps4 and the thing has yet to make a peep.

User Info: LilKCCeleb

LilKCCeleb
2 years ago#10
I put a dust kit on mine. Doesn't seem to restrict the air flow.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. To those with a loud sounding PS4... (fix listed)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived