What's more popular as a whole? JRPGs or WRPGs?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. What's more popular as a whole? JRPGs or WRPGs?

User Info: toadieman

toadieman
1 year ago#41
JRPG mostly because of pokemon.
Playing: Dark Souls/Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

User Info: ArsenicSteel

ArsenicSteel
1 year ago#42
DoobleBoop posted...
ArsenicSteel posted...
I think RPGs as a whole are becoming obsolete..

And yet people here need to keep talking about them and being upset that others play them constantly. You can't just wish away RPGs.

I wish the Goblin King would come and take you away. Right now!

You're a special kind of ignorant.
It's geeks who really make or break a TV show or movie or videogame.

User Info: DaLagga

DaLagga
1 year ago#43
The_Undying_84 posted...
JRPG's have still sold WAY more all time despite being in a 10+ year slump. They are less popular today, but it's largely because of Japanese companies idiotically attempting, and failing, to copy WRPG's. If they just stuck to what they do well, as Pokemon does, I see no reason they wouldn't still be more popular.

What are you talking about? JRPG's were nothing but an attempt to copy the WRPG to begin with. Or more specifically, they were the attempt to take cRPG's back in the 80's and dumb them down for a much younger and more casual console audience. Now that gamers on average are much older and have higher standards for content and gameplay depth, JRPG's have fallen out of favor due to their over-simplified gameplay and stories that are written to cater to teenagers and adolescents.

I mean, just compare something like The Witcher to the Tales franchise. The Witcher is absolutely filled with mature themes (yes, beyond just the sex scenes) with many of its plots and subplots relating to real life events or are intended to spark conversation and introspection. The Tales games however are designed for a very young pre-teen to early teen audience with extremely childish plots (i.e. kids overcoming evil through the power of friendship) and their approach to something like sex makes them feel as if they were written by a junior high student. Beyond the themes and story, The Witcher gives the player a great deal of agency and choice while Tales games tend to actually be incredibly linear and hand-holdy.

Even a somewhat more mature JRPG (by JRPG standards anyway) like FF15 still features a main cast primarily consisting of pretentious hipster teens who are trying desperately to appear "cool" to their other teenage friends. They look and behave like immature adolescents and the story indulges this behavior by making them out to be heroes rather than a more fitting and realistic scenario like them spending the next few days in detention for being spoiled brats.

I could go on and on but the bottom line is, JRPG's are ultimately little more than a dumbed down clone of WRPG's that cater to a young and relatively inexperienced gaming demographic. A demographic that is rapidly shrinking as gamers get older and more experienced. They're not a dying breed because the quality dropped or because JRPG devs have abandoned what made them successful in the first place. They're dying because the audience for them is too small to sustain them unless they keep their budgets to a minimum. Hence why most JRPG's these days feel cheap as hell and are running on graphics engines that would have been considered dated 10 years ago.

User Info: DoobleBoop

DoobleBoop
1 year ago#44
ArsenicSteel posted...
DoobleBoop posted...
ArsenicSteel posted...

And yet people here need to keep talking about them and being upset that others play them constantly. You can't just wish away RPGs.

I wish the Goblin King would come and take you away. Right now!

You're a special kind of ignorant.

Ya you must be pretty ignorant if you've never seen The Labyrinth.
Save gaming! Stop the hackers!
http://tinyurl.com/zswbanh

User Info: Zeon

Zeon
1 year ago#45
lol knew this would turn bias
Official D'va of the Overwatch Board, Screw PC =^_0=
Your unfriendly neighborhood kyubi idol.

User Info: lionhartwolf

lionhartwolf
1 year ago#46
ArsenicSteel posted...

If you somehow managed to get the idea that I was trying to wish away RPGs from my post you managed to miss my entire post. I make it very clear that it would be impossible at this point in time to get rid of RPGS since most games at this point incorporate RPG mechanics. My entire post (the post you only quoted the first 9 words of an almost 200 word post) was about how RPGs need to find new ways to distinguish themselves again. Nowhere in there did I even remotely suggest that RPGs need to go away.

User Info: SiLVeR_420

SiLVeR_420
1 year ago#47
ilikefords posted...
WRPGs sell way more than JRPGs do.

When was the last time a non Bethesda rpg sold 5 mil?
Mio Akiyama's official husbando.

User Info: ArsenicSteel

ArsenicSteel
1 year ago#48
lionhartwolf posted...
ArsenicSteel posted...

If you somehow managed to get the idea that I was trying to wish away RPGs from my post you managed to miss my entire post. I make it very clear that it would be impossible at this point in time to get rid of RPGS since most games at this point incorporate RPG mechanics. My entire post (the post you only quoted the first 9 words of an almost 200 word post) was about how RPGs need to find new ways to distinguish themselves again. Nowhere in there did I even remotely suggest that RPGs need to go away.

I read the entire post. The "I think they are obsolete" was the bit I wanted to comment on. You can rationalize your opinion however you like buy it's still a silly opinion to hold.

New this. New that. RPGs have managed to stumble their way to the top of the charts and into peoples favorites year after year. They are relevant despite your desire for the wheel to be reinvented.
It's geeks who really make or break a TV show or movie or videogame.

User Info: Shineboxer

Shineboxer
1 year ago#49
lambchips posted...
jrpg easily.. most of asia dont even play wrpgs lol
^ the reason i mention asia is because thats where the majority of gamers are located

MMOs dont count, even so, wrpg still win
Intel Core i7-4770K | MSI Z87-G45 GAMING | MSI GeForce GTX 980x2 | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD

User Info: Funcoland

Funcoland
1 year ago#50
If you count Pokemon, and to a lesser extent Final Fantasy, probably JRPGs. Otherwise, WRPGs.
NNID: MisterNoOne | PSN: The_Mistled
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. What's more popular as a whole? JRPGs or WRPGs?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived