Shadow of War looks pretty hollow...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Shadow of War looks pretty hollow...

User Info: Taizuku

Taizuku
2 months ago#11
Supreme_Gene posted...
Taizuku posted...
Supreme_Gene posted...
^that.

Everything is boring if you make it vague enough.
I do find it hilarious that "you just do x over and over again" coming from some random with a dynasty warriors signature.

The lack of insight here is amazing.

At least there's a ton of characters with different mechanics, in SoM you play the same dude the whole time. Same animations etc forever.

That's the one difference ain't it. The animation is different for the characters. The moves certainly ain't anything new. I mean if you get goaded into thinking that's new, sure have fun with that, but ultimately dynasty warriors is just x amount of skins with new animations with no fundamental change to gameplay.

Depends on which ones you play and how seriously you play it. Warriors Orochi 3 plays very different from Dynasty Warriors 7 for example. You could mash square and triangle or you could learn moves and unique mechanics and chain them in creative ways. The difference is the characters and mechanics, not the goal.
Come check out some dope beats n stuff! Soundcloud.com/anubisinc

User Info: BenjaMan64

BenjaMan64
2 months ago#12
VaultDwelIer posted...
BenjaMan64 posted...
Every game is repetitive if you think about it:

Yakuza could be summarized as "go somewhere, watch cutscenes, beat up some guys, repeat."

God of War: "run, rip apart some foes, solve puzzles, do some platforming, repeat."

Mario: "Run. Jump. Evade enemies and/or their projectiles. Stomp on enemies, repeat."

Assassin's Creed: "Run and jump between buildings, eavesdrop, steal something from someone, stab someone, fight some people, hide in a bush or haystack, repeat."

Nearly every shooter ever: "Run, gun down someone or something, take cover behind a wall sometimes, repeat."

Of course, plenty of games have stuff that adds variety, such as adding new foes that require new tactics, power-ups or new skills, varied weapons and similar gear, sidequests, level design, optional actitivies, minigames...

In Shadow of War, I do hope that the different tribes will each yield diverse gameplay experiences. Plus the Nemesis system spiced things up back in SoM, and hopefully it'll do it again in SoW.

yeah right what about skyrim eh? bet you cant make that game sound repetitive

Skyrim: "Walk around, kill stuff, get more loot than you can carry and/or can get paid for, repeat".
HE'S WATCHING YOU

User Info: VaultDwelIer

VaultDwelIer
2 months ago#13
BenjaMan64 posted...
VaultDwelIer posted...
BenjaMan64 posted...

Yakuza could be summarized as "go somewhere, watch cutscenes, beat up some guys, repeat."

God of War: "run, rip apart some foes, solve puzzles, do some platforming, repeat."

Mario: "Run. Jump. Evade enemies and/or their projectiles. Stomp on enemies, repeat."

Assassin's Creed: "Run and jump between buildings, eavesdrop, steal something from someone, stab someone, fight some people, hide in a bush or haystack, repeat."

Nearly every shooter ever: "Run, gun down someone or something, take cover behind a wall sometimes, repeat."

Of course, plenty of games have stuff that adds variety, such as adding new foes that require new tactics, power-ups or new skills, varied weapons and similar gear, sidequests, level design, optional actitivies, minigames...

In Shadow of War, I do hope that the different tribes will each yield diverse gameplay experiences. Plus the Nemesis system spiced things up back in SoM, and hopefully it'll do it again in SoW.

Skyrim: "Walk around, kill stuff, get more loot than you can carry and/or can get paid for, repeat".

BenjaMan64 posted...
VaultDwelIer posted...
BenjaMan64 posted...

you left out a LOT of stuff
https://psnprofiles.com/VaultDweller/log?order=rarity&rarity=ultra-rare&dir=asc

BenjaMan64
2 months ago#14
VaultDwelIer posted...

Supreme_Gene posted...
Everything is boring if you make it vague enough.
HE'S WATCHING YOU

User Info: trapking

trapking
2 months ago#15
I don't understand how they can make a LOTR based game so boring and bland. The whole arkham combat with hoards of enemies is so last gen. They should do something more cinematic and fresh with an actual good story and characters to write home about - like the new god of war game
PS4 crew

User Info: simonbelmont2

simonbelmont2
2 months ago#16
VaultDwelIer posted...

IIRC Skyrim and Fallout 4 are both designed around a simple gameplay loop: the loop is kill, loot and explore. That's why so many quests in those games involve those three things. The quests are designed to push the player into that same loop. IIRC there aren't that many quests in those games which don't involve those three things. Quests where you only talk to people without shooting, looting or exploring are few and far between.

Sure there's other stuff you can do as well. However the core gameplay loop is usually kill, loot and explore.
"Let me tap dance on him, won't ya?"

User Info: GigaGaia

GigaGaia
2 months ago#17
Nordini posted...
I don't know much about Shadow of War, but Shadow of Mordor was fantastic. Totally blew me away and exceeded all expectations. That game really was a unique experience for this gen.

I can imagine how a sequel would be unimaginative and be less of a labor of love though.

That's right. The reason I am hesitant to buy the game isn't because of optional microtransactions or other stuffs people complain about, but because compared to Shadow of Mordor, it looks more of the same.
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.

User Info: Gibberish5

Gibberish5
2 months ago#18
GigaGaia posted...
Nordini posted...
I don't know much about Shadow of War, but Shadow of Mordor was fantastic. Totally blew me away and exceeded all expectations. That game really was a unique experience for this gen.

I can imagine how a sequel would be unimaginative and be less of a labor of love though.

That's right. The reason I am hesitant to buy the game isn't because of optional microtransactions or other stuffs people complain about, but because compared to Shadow of Mordor, it looks more of the same.

Huh. It looks pretty good to me. I mean, yeah, it does definitely look to be more of the same in many ways, but it is a sequel. And I enjoyed the first, so that's a positive for me.
The conclusions posters come to on this site, based on little to no actual facts, will slowly drive you mad. Leave now before it's to late.

BenjaMan64
2 months ago#19
Gibberish5 posted...
GigaGaia posted...
Nordini posted...

Huh. It looks pretty good to me. I mean, yeah, it does definitely look to be more of the same in many ways, but it is a sequel. And I enjoyed the first, so that's a positive for me.

I find it hard to understand people who complain about sequels being "more of the same". Uh... duh! That's the point of a sequel! More of the same, with some updates, improvements and new things!

And when too much stuff is changed in a sequel, people still complain sometimes. "More of the same" would have greatly helped a certain finally fantastic franchise, which has plenty of fans saying that after reaching its peak in the PS1 era, it started to decline when future installments changed too many things.
HE'S WATCHING YOU

User Info: skermac

skermac
2 months ago#20
The trailer looks good
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Shadow of War looks pretty hollow...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived