Loot Crates are gambling

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Loot Crates are gambling

User Info: lunaticcore

lunaticcore
1 month ago#61
Not sure why you are trying so hard to disprove that lootcrates are gambling.

It doesn't change the perceived problems with what they are and how predatory they can get. You are just arguing semantics.

There is still a problem with locking away content people want behind random chance in order to squeeze extra money out of them, along with inflated grinding and pay to win schemes slowly creeping into our full priced games. The difference only comes down to the level of harm it inflicts on participants.

Gambling tempts people to risk unhealthy amounts of money by offering a hope of life changing winnings. While these loot packs in games generally only risk overpaying for content by obscuring how much you are actually paying to improve your game experience.
Endless Metroid month.. Samus Returns HYPE... Come watch us playthrough Super Metroid, Zero Mission, AM2R and Metroid Fusion. http://bit.ly/2vlfYbS

User Info: bmouse6

bmouse6
1 month ago#62
lambchips posted...
bmouse6 posted...
I asked "does it belong?" supposedly expecting a yes or no or any other kind of explanatory answer, where as you gave a statement "it is". You essentially ignored the question by stating the current status of things.

yes, loot boxes totally belong in games...

Just because you dont like it, doesnt mean it doesnt belong...
heck, if it doesnt belong in games, developers wouldnt see any value in them and they wouldnt be implemented.. but the fact is that we gamers love loot boxes as it enhances our experience

There's a flipside to that coin, friend.
Just because YOU like them, doesn't mean they do have to be in video games.

The only reason they are in video games is $$$, and if the $$$ keeps flowing in, you'd have to be breaindead not to expand your horizons.

If someone would give a person a million dollars for every single day they'd walk around naked with their genitals on display, supposedly the person would do it, but that doesn't automatically make it ethical now, does it? That doesn't automatically make others around the person happy, does it? The person wouldn't care, they wouldn't give a f*** for all the people, who could be disgusted with their behaviour, because in just a few days they'd be a millionaire
PSN: bmouse
The thrown rose is only significant in it's insignificance.

User Info: lambchips

lambchips
1 month ago#63
bmouse6 posted...

Your right.. but since they are in it, we choose to buy them to show developers we want these in the future..
Like those before me, I chose to speak with my wallet and have been doing so since the past 5-6 years, when I first got into gacha games
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green

User Info: OurLadyPeace

OurLadyPeace
1 month ago#64
bmouse6 posted...

The only reason they are in video games is $$$

The only reason there are video games is $$$.

Most of them anyway.

Is every game that is being made for reasons other than art ethically compromised? Or just the ones with loot boxes?
Hyper Light Drifter. Out now on PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/Xbox One.

User Info: Maverick_Reznor

Maverick_Reznor
1 month ago#65
I think TC is the first person on this board to create a topic like this using the broad term of gamble (unlike the morons who use the term that is used for things such as black jack)
Currently Playing :Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Cuphead, and Divinity Orginal Sin 2

bmouse6
1 month ago#66
lambchips posted...
bmouse6 posted...

Your right.. but since they are in it, we choose to buy them to show developers we want these in the future..
Like those before me, I chose to speak with my wallet and have been doing so since the past 5-6 years, when I first got into gacha games

Exactly, and sadly the world is built in a way that only the voice of the majority counts.

User Info: My_Unit

My_Unit
1 month ago#67
bmouse6 posted...
lambchips posted...
bmouse6 posted...

Exactly, and sadly the world is built in a way that only the voice of the majority counts.

Why would a company cater to the minority? Makes no f***ing sense. That not bringing in money.
https://youtu.be/ziArJgAJLow

User Info: OurLadyPeace

OurLadyPeace
1 month ago#68
bmouse6 posted...
lambchips posted...
bmouse6 posted...

In the entertainment industry, fortunately everyone is catered to. The music, films or games you personally like might not be top of the charts or the box office. But you can be sure there's plenty of people who feel the same as you, whatever your tastes, and they are busy right now crafting experiences you'll enjoy. Maybe you are one of them?
Hyper Light Drifter. Out now on PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/Xbox One.

bmouse6
1 month ago#69
OurLadyPeace posted...
bmouse6 posted...

The only reason they are in video games is $$$

The only reason there are video games is $$$.

Most of them anyway.

Is every game that is being made for reasons other than art ethically compromised? Or just the ones with loot boxes?

Video games are a format of entertainment, correct? Just like books, movies, music, theatre, circus and a whole bunch of other things. There is nothing unethical about entertainment, in general, of course. MT's have nothing to do with entertainment, in fact, they cripple entertainment just for the sake of extra profit. That's my take on the whole thing at least.

User Info: lunaticcore

lunaticcore
1 month ago#70
My_Unit posted...
bmouse6 posted...
lambchips posted...
bmouse6 posted...

Why would a company cater to the minority? Makes no f***ing sense. That not bringing in money.

In this case there is a minority paying for most of the loot crates. The industry calls them whales.
Endless Metroid month.. Samus Returns HYPE... Come watch us playthrough Super Metroid, Zero Mission, AM2R and Metroid Fusion. http://bit.ly/2vlfYbS
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Loot Crates are gambling

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived