If loot boxes are not gambling because

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. If loot boxes are not gambling because

User Info: ShippFFXI

ShippFFXI
1 month ago#171
ShELbY_GT500 posted...
@ShippFFXI

But some games do have extras in the loot boxes other than cosmetics like extra weapons. In this method it’s not really pay to win, more like gamble to win.

Already addressed that issue and said those specific games need to be looked at since it sets a bad precedent of P2W in purchased retail games.
I feel like they are making some great points, but the name-calling and volcano-based murder-ideation are chipping away at their position somewhat.

User Info: ShELbY_GT500

ShELbY_GT500
1 month ago#172
ShippFFXI posted...
ShELbY_GT500 posted...
@ShippFFXI

But some games do have extras in the loot boxes other than cosmetics like extra weapons. In this method it’s not really pay to win, more like gamble to win.

Already addressed that issue and said those specific games need to be looked at since it sets a bad precedent of P2W in purchased retail games.

That’s fair
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man- The Dude

User Info: Fishels

Fishels
1 month ago#173
juker79 posted...
Fishels posted...
Maverick_Reznor posted...
That's not how it works kid
You buy balls to put into pachinko machines to get more balls so you can exchange them back for money.
You play games like Black Jack for money.
You give money to be dealt a hand that can bet you more money.
With loot boxes you buy a product.
It's like buying a video game except you are buying a random assortment of items in a video game.
Every time you make your argument that loot boxes are gambling you just make yourself look stupider than before.

“take risky action in the hope of a desired result.”

Even if you get something you ARE still gambling. This is a fact.

Sounds like this is resolved, facts and all.

A few people earlier said a person gets the same feeling buying a loot box as they do from pulling a slot machine; I wasn't convinced. I have little interest in loot boxes; but now that we can draw a valid gumball comparison, I'm going to test this out.

The next time I get an itch to play blackjack or a slot machine; I'm going to try out the gumball machine instead. The hope is that I get the same feeling for a few bucks instead of a few hundred.

But question...
Is it still gambling if I own the gumball machine? I'm inclined to think "no" since I could just keep recycling my own money until I got the blue or yellow ones. But I'm also inclined to think "yes", since I am wagering my time. Do you think it would work better if my wife bought the gumball machine and hid the key to the change from me?

I would say that your hypothetical situation is still gambling. But that it’s of such little consequence that it doesn’t matter as you can’t loose anything. You can open the machine up and get exactly what you want. You own it and therefore stand no chance of loosing anything by putting that quarter in. Not much of a risk.

Edit: and the spouse thing, that sucks but unfortunately Activision and EA aren’t my spouse and there is no key I’ll be getting.

User Info: Maverick_Reznor

Maverick_Reznor
1 month ago#174
Fishels posted...
You can open the machine up and get exactly what you want

pretty sure if I opened up the gumball, the owners would call the police for theft.
Non the less there are two definitions to gambling
1.play games of chance for money; bet.
2.take risky action in the hope of a desired result

The first is very specific (and it's the version everyone who says loot boxes are gambling).
Loot boxes factually do not fit in that category.
It can however fit in the second one as the second definition is an extremely broad definition that be applied to almost any risk versus reward situation (like a gumball machine).

Everyone who keeps trying to use the specific version if the definition is an ignoramus.

If you are making topics based on the second definition, you are just taking up space on the board and trying to start s***.
Currently Playing :The Evil Within 2

User Info: Fishels

Fishels
1 month ago#175
Maverick_Reznor posted...
Fishels posted...
You can open the machine up and get exactly what you want

pretty sure if I opened up the gumball, the owners would call the police for theft.
Non the less there are two definitions to gambling
1.play games of chance for money; bet.
2.take risky action in the hope of a desired result

The first is very specific (and it's the version everyone who says loot boxes are gambling).
Loot boxes factually do not fit in that category.
It can however fit in the second one as the second definition is an extremely broad definition that be applied to almost any risk versus reward situation (like a gumball machine).

Everyone who keeps trying to use the specific version if the definition is an ignoramus.

If you are making topics based on the second definition, you are just taking up space on the board and trying to start s***.

“pretty sure if I opened up the gumball, the owners would call the police for theft.”

I feel like you literally didn’t read the post I was responding to. It was a hypothetical situation in which someone owned the machine.

You don’t make bad points. But I’d consider these digital items something that people clearly see as monetary value. Like if I was gambling on a house for example, that’s not technically money but I’d still say it’d be fair to call it gambling. Yes you can call lots of things gambling but...

It’s something you are taking an inherent risk on and it’s very much a slot machine format. That’s where it gets fishy for me.
The sticky situation is that these loot boxes are digital items that can’t be sold.

I still feel it’s a form of gambling. I didn’t mean to come off as a dick earlier l apologize.

User Info: WhiteWolf338

WhiteWolf338
1 month ago#176
Its not gambling! You get something in return every time! The return rate is 100%
PSN: Vaynard82

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
1 month ago#177
Yuuuuuup its gambling, i hear them guys from storage wars saying that every time they purchase a container its a gamble, and they even get to take a peek in said containers.

Even the pros are saying its gambling.
Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

User Info: megaman1376

megaman1376
1 month ago#178
WhiteWolf338 posted...
Its not gambling! You get something in return every time! The return rate is 100%

something to think about in a strict sense and legally speaking is not gambling
but in the spirit of the law it is gambling it uses the same methodology and the same consequenses so as far people are concerned it is gambling aimed at kids and teens

User Info: Nathanmg

Nathanmg
1 month ago#179
WhiteWolf338 posted...

Again, if you bet a $1 on a bet that guaranteed a return of either 1c or $10 every time, is that not gambling?
PSN: Nathanmg
3DS: 1006-0862-7392
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. If loot boxes are not gambling because

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived