If loot boxes are not gambling because

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. If loot boxes are not gambling because

User Info: Sheepinator

Sheepinator
1 month ago#21
Shelby and logic, you can get one, but never both at the same time.
Put. That coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only.

User Info: singhellotaku

singhellotaku
1 month ago#22
copyright2017 posted...
Gambling = you are not guaranteed to win anything

Loot boxes = you will get something. It can be trash or it can be good. Depends on the game or luck but you're bound to get something in return.

lots of slot machines give guaranteed payouts of say...$0.25 on a $1 bet, as do scratch tickets, they are still gambling, you get a guaranteed payout, its just not guaranteed to hold more value than the initial wager.

Still gambling.
Just shut the hell up and talk about games, im so tired of the politics of gaming...

User Info: Master Alien

Master Alien
1 month ago#23
Sheepinator posted...
Shelby and logic, you can get one, but never both at the same time.

in a way it is logical though. shelby is consistently "anti-popular opinion" guy + australia is the #1 country in the world when it comes to the prevalence of gambling amongst its citizens. it'd be surprising if he didnt have an ill-conceived hatred for gambling
http://imgur.com/lWlETpM --- ps4 board group picture

User Info: Krondelo

Krondelo
1 month ago#24
singhellotaku posted...
copyright2017 posted...

Loot boxes = you will get something. It can be trash or it can be good. Depends on the game or luck but you're bound to get something in return.

lots of slot machines give guaranteed payouts of say...$0.25 on a $1 bet, as do scratch tickets, they are still gambling, you get a guaranteed payout, its just not guaranteed to hold more value than the initial wager.

Still gambling.

Yep, guaranteed payouts are just another psychological trick to make people think they're winning.
Taking life one day at a time.

User Info: Maverick_Reznor

Maverick_Reznor
1 month ago#25
That's not how it works kid
You buy balls to put into pachinko machines to get more balls so you can exchange them back for money.
You play games like Black Jack for money.
You give money to be dealt a hand that can bet you more money.
With loot boxes you buy a product.
It's like buying a video game except you are buying a random assortment of items in a video game.
Every time you make your argument that loot boxes are gambling you just make yourself look stupider than before.
Currently Playing :The Evil Within 2

User Info: jorgeammo

jorgeammo
1 month ago#26
As soon as I see packs of trading cards kept behind the counter with tobacco products and children prohibited from buying them I'll consider trading cards and likewise loot boxes gambling.

Until then no they're not gambling.

User Info: AltusJ

AltusJ
1 month ago#27
ShELbY_GT500 posted...
you’re paying for a loot box, and not what’s inside the loot box, then pokie machines and playing card games for money isn’t gambling either. After all with pokie machines your paying to pull a lever or press a button. With Poker or Blackjack you’re paying to play a card game. Lotto tickets definitely isn’t gambling either because you’re using money to buy a ticket. Obviously no one plays lotto or the pokie machines to win anything, just how gamers apparently don’t buy loot boxes for what’s inside them...

Forrest Gump loves gambling. He never knows what he's gonna get inside those boxes of chocolates.
PSN: Altus_Janitorius
I have a vest. If I had my arms cut off, it would be a jacket.

User Info: skermac

skermac
1 month ago#28
It's not gambling because you are paying for something to use in game, you don't know or need to know what it is in the box, only that it's for the game
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive

User Info: ShELbY_GT500

ShELbY_GT500
1 month ago#29
copyright2017 posted...

Gambling is defined as risking something for a reward. If I put $10 in the pokies with no intention of winning my money back then I’m not gambling right? After all my intention was simply for fun and entertainment purposes.

But there’s the flip side of some gamers that are risking their money with the intention of winning a particular digital item. That’s gambling and no different than someone risking money on a pokie machine or card game with the intention of winning money.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man- The Dude

User Info: tripZ504

tripZ504
1 month ago#30
reruns_revenge posted...
Who's upset? These threads from the same people complaining abput the same things over and over again are more amusing than anything because these trivial matters must really, really make them angry, and that makes me laugh. It's an honest question - at which point do they decide to just move on in life? Or more importantly, get one? I guess that question applies to you too.

Its gamefaqs.

Thers a reason devs stay far away from here.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. If loot boxes are not gambling because

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived