A way to artifically extend a fighting game's life, and release it early?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. A way to artifically extend a fighting game's life, and release it early?

User Info: ItIsOkBro

ItIsOkBro
4 years ago#1
Killer Instinct has me thinking...

Let's say a fighting game with 24 characters takes 3 years to develop, with all the bells and whistles.

Devs can take 3 years to make the game, then release it in full for $60. After 2 years, fighting games tend to lose some steam.

OR...

Devs can release what they have done in just 1 year, let's say 8 characters, comparatively for $20. Then the next year they add 8 for $20, and the next year they add 8 for $20 (either staggered or all 8 together, lets go all 8). Also, they add, you know...bells and whistles.

In the end, what you have is the exact same fighting game after 3 years for the exact same price, except you got to play it in parts 2 years earlier. Also, the fighting game has techically already lasted 2 years already and at this point there are 8 completely new characters to try.

My question is which sounds better? The first option is clear but here are some things to consider for option 2...
Is 8 characters really enough to start with? (I think KI is off to a rocky start with 6 and 2 later)
How many people will continue playing until or come back for the next batch of characters?

And as a side, the second option being a good deal is extremely contingent on the game being comparable to a full fighter once the cost adds up to $60. For instance, if they charge $30 for the additional 8 character packs then they've basically overcharged you $20 (once you reach 24 characters it costs you $80). I think, because of this, option 2 will never be valuable to the consumer. DLC tends to be quite expensive compared to what you get in full at retail. I doubt that Killer Instinct will be comparable to say, Mortal Kombat 9, once you spend $60. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Discuss.
I'm wrong for the right.

User Info: INEEDHELPWEE2

INEEDHELPWEE2
4 years ago#2
Honestly I like the business model they are attempting to do, but at the same time I am a bit dissapointed it is not a full game.

User Info: chiefofsb78

chiefofsb78
4 years ago#3
A good way to kill a game is to release it early a game that is not finished won't last players will lose interest fast and by the time you release more content in this case a year later who cares there will be many other full release games and that are actually good out there to play nobody wants to wait months or a year later just to get the full experience of a fighting game this game is a automatic fail
killerinstinctonline

User Info: sworder

sworder
4 years ago#4
No.

Release the full game and then add DLC. Full games with extra content > incomplete games

ItIsOkBro
4 years ago#5
sworder posted...
No.

Release the full game and then add DLC. Full games with extra content > incomplete games

The ideal case is that the incomplete game transforms into a full game by the time the full game would have released.
I'm wrong for the right.

ItIsOkBro
4 years ago#6
INEEDHELPWEE2 posted...
Honestly I like the business model they are attempting to do, but at the same time I am a bit dissapointed it is not a full game.

I agree although I wouldn't say I like the model. Even though it does come earlier and is reasonably priced, I think it makes Killer Instinct seem like a splash instead of tidal wave in an ocean. This is not the grand comback I wanted for KI.
I'm wrong for the right.

User Info: METALINGUS5150

METALINGUS5150
4 years ago#7
I don't think it's good. Because another game can come out that is complete and has DLC and extra stuff and it can be better and outshine it.

User Info: lilj812

lilj812
4 years ago#8
The game will get out shined by a real and complete fighter and will then be forgotten. The game is doomed.
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"

User Info: darkphiresage

darkphiresage
4 years ago#9
ya, that's all fine and well tc, until the next street fighter or MvC drops with 30-60 characters. they shouldn't release the game until the full roster is complete. people will only be willing to fight jago and 5 other mooks so many times before they say f*** it.
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.

User Info: avidgamer4

avidgamer4
4 years ago#10
Games have a limited number of MONTHS to release new content before it gets old and boring and price drops price drops price drops.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. A way to artifically extend a fighting game's life, and release it early?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived