Bullet points from Phil Spencer Famitsu interview
- Topic Archived
- Page 1 of 2
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
Some interesting tidbits, including a possible exclusive from a Japanese dev.
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
Lost Odyssey 2
Lost Odyssey 2
Lost Odyssey 2
Lost Odyssey 2
Lost Odyssey 2
For people unable to follow the link (thanks TC):
• The possibility for the upclock of the CPU of the console surfaced in the summer during the final stage of the development of the hardware. It turned out that there was a little margin of improvement, since engineers normally estimate hardware specs conservatively at first. Spencer thinks it’s good news for developers.
• The number of pre-orders is unprecedented when compared to the original Xbox and the Xbox 360. It’s “far beyond expectations.” Microsoft is working to be able to provide as many units as possible at launch.
• Spencer feels that the line up between launch and the 2014 holiday season is great, with a variety of titles like Titanfall and Halo. He also feels that if the launch of the games will be successful then the Xbox One will be successful as well.
• When asked if launching for 100 dollars more than the PS4 is an disadvantage, Spencer responds that the Xbox One can provide a full service, including the ability to use the cloud, and that’s great value both for developers and for gamers. He feels that fans should judge the value of the console based on that.
• A stand-alone version without Kinect is not being considered, as Kinect is essential for the Xbox One because many important features of the console won’t work without it.
• Japan is still an important market for Microsoft. Spencer feels that titles like Metal Gear Solid V and Dead Rising 3 will appease the Japanese audience. Also, the space required for Kinect to operate has been reduced, and that will help its acceptance in Japan, where rooms are normally smaller.
• Spencer had a meeting with some Japanese developers about the release of Xbox One in Japan. He intends to develop an exclusive title in collaboration with those developers. It will be announced officially closer to the Japanese launch of the console.
• Working with Japanese developers for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey was a wonderful experience, and this time he looks forward to the partnership with new Japanese devs. He got a great reaction from them.
• Since the Xbox One is region free, it’s also advantageous for Japanese developers to develop for the console, since they can get global visibility.
Spencer also talked about three main uses for Xbox One’s cloud services at launch
• The first is to provide dedicated servers for Call of Duty: Ghosts, codenamed “ThunderHead.” In this case the cloud provides the developer with a low-cost online environment on a consistent basis. In the future there will be many games taking advantage of those dedicated servers.
• Forza Motorsport 5 will save the information of friends in the cloud, then in the game it’ll give you the feeling of playing with them, by giving the AI the same playing style.
• The third is giving developers the ability to shift part of the computing from the CPU to the cloud. The CPUs of the cloud do the computations and then send them back to the Xbox One that displays the results locally. That improves performance. Millions of dollars have been invested in the Cloud and Spencer thinks it will be very important for the future growth of the gaming industry.
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
COD, COD, COD, COD, COD. Is it the only thing in Microsoft's mind nowadays?/smh.
Thanks Reg. As always...you rock.
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
The first is to provide dedicated servers for Call of Duty: Ghosts, codenamed “ThunderHead.” In this case the cloud provides the developer with a low-cost online environment on a consistent basis. In the future there will be many games taking advantage of those dedicated servers.
Emphasis added. While dedicated servers are a good thing, it appears as though he has confirmed that there will still be a cost associated with the servers for developers and that not all online games would have dedicated servers. (Just mentioning this since that argument is frequently brought up)
It's also interesting to note that, when justifying the extra $100, he chose to focus on the cloud, rather than the Kinect. Personally, I would more easily accept Kinect as the reason for the added cost because the potential uses are much easier to consider than any potential benefits of cloud technology (which Sony is capable of replicating, even though third-party servers would ultimately cost more).
LOL @ "variety of titles like Titanfall and Halo". Unfortunately, statements like this are only likely to increase the stereotypes regarding Xbox fans.
Here's hoping that he is right about the success of the X1 - competition is good for the industry and MS has improved their public image since their unveiling and E3 debacle.
As for Japanese support, it is interesting that it appears that they are not working with Mistwalker Studios, or any currently. The fact that they are still willing to court Japanese developers is promising because it suggests that they haven't completely given up on that territory. Mentioning MGS5, however, is kind of a moot point since that will also be on PS4.
Brand loyalty is most evident in Apple acolytes - the Applytes - that most rabid of fan bases who will buy a brand new device with every minor upgrade
This is some awesome info pleased to hear about it, Anyone notice this article isn't flooded with posts due to the great info on the console, even though there's always "I don't know which console to get" topics...oh wait it's not a negative topic no wonder it doesn't have more posts.
Bump for awesome features.
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
Standalone version not being considered?
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
*pulls up lawn chair*
Lemme just wait for the inevitable negative spin on these news.
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
Add user to Ignore List after reporting