MS discloses details about Kinect

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. MS discloses details about Kinect

User Info: MrImpatient35

MrImpatient35
3 years ago#1
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/436360/microsoft-offers-full-disclosure-amid-fears-over-kinect-surveillance/

Even with much paranoia regarding Kinect, and distrust towards MS, they disclosed this info anyway.

The company also clarified that, while game software can read player expressions and respond accordingly, that data is not sent to Microsoft. "It stays on the console and is destroyed once your session ends," the company claimed.

Standout privacy policy include:
Standout Xbox privacy policies include:

Players can turn Kinect off at any time.

When Kinect is used with certain games and apps, a user's skeletal movements can be used to estimate exercise stats. Microsoft says "you can decide how your stats are managed and whether they are shared".

Kinect's facial-numeric identifiers, as described above, "stays on the console and is not shared with anyone".

Microsoft can share user info "with companies we've hired to provide services on our behalf". Those companies must pledge to keep the information confidential.

Microsoft can share user info "to comply with the law or respond to legal process or lawful requests, including from law enforcement and government agencies"

Aside from these exceptions, the company "will not disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent".

For games that enable in-game communications, the game publisher may also have access to the content of in-game communications when users are signed into their account with the publisher.

Xbox applications built by partner companies, from Netflix to Sky, have their own separate terms and conditions with regards to privacy.

Microsoft will read player data to serve better targeted advertisements, which users can opt out of.

If customers link their Microsoft account with a partner company, "Microsoft may share limited account information with that company". That information may include name, address, email and date of birth, but not credit card or other payment information.

Xbox applications using Windows Phone that require location data "will only collect and store the approximate location of your phone"

Payment data is stored and used for "detection and prevention of fraud". In support of these uses, "Microsoft may share your payment data with banks and other entities that process payment transactions or other financial services, and for fraud prevention and credit risk reduction."

I blame the Patriot Act for the NSA bs. They need to change it, at the very least.
33 things to know about X1: http://www.oxm.co.uk/61886/features/the-xbox-one-33-things-you-need-to-know/
DR3, AC4, XFitness (1-Yr free), KI3 (F2P), Proj Spark

User Info: khardbored

khardbored
3 years ago#2
This won't matter to the doomsayers. They will say that it's obviously a lie and point to PRISM.
The thing about PRISM is, the US Government threatened them with legal action if they refused.
You don't want to be in the crosshairs of the .gov
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */

User Info: blitz_0623

blitz_0623
3 years ago#3
People who genuinely believed the Kinect was going to be used as a "spybox" are *****, just saying
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS

User Info: DamnEvilDog

DamnEvilDog
3 years ago#4
This topic will devolve into another mud slinging contest soon enough sadly without anyone reading all of it, people not believing it or just plain old trolling from the other console boards.

Thanks for the topic TC

User Info: SoulTrapper

SoulTrapper
3 years ago#5
So now you automatically get your personal data send unless you opt-out.
A couple months ago, you actually had to opt-in for it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-phil-harrison-on-xbox-one-kinect-indie-games-and-red-rings

Phil Harrison: Yep. Microsoft has very, very good policies around privacy. We're a leader in the world of privacy, I think you'll find. We take it very seriously. We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.

How long till the next update where you can't opt-out any longer?

Also:
Microsoft says it may monitor communications “to the extent permitted by law

We all know how far that goes thanks to the patriot act.

"Don't worry, guys! We are collecting and storing all your personal info, your facial data, etc through the kinect, but we won't use it for anything! Trust us!" - A company involved in the biggest spying scandal in the world's history, a company that lied about the NSAs access to Skype, a company that tried to screw over everyone not even 6 months ago at E3.

User Info: Ellesarien

Ellesarien
3 years ago#6
DamnEvilDog posted...
This topic will devolve into another mud slinging contest soon enough sadly without anyone reading all of it, people not believing it or just plain old trolling from the other console boards.

Thanks for the topic TC

Didn't take long did it?
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.

MrImpatient35
3 years ago#7
My fav thing in there is prolly this: Microsoft will read player data to serve better targeted advertisements, which users can opt out of.

I know many will likely turn that off, but I'll leave it on. I'd like them to recommend me some products that I wasn't aware of, like how they do on the X360 with game recommendations.
33 things to know about X1: http://www.oxm.co.uk/61886/features/the-xbox-one-33-things-you-need-to-know/

MrImpatient35
3 years ago#8
bump. I'm thinking people would be interested to read this stuff. Especially the "spybox" people.

User Info: benjimain

benjimain
3 years ago#9
LOL at anyone believing that info won't leave the console. Just LOL.

User Info: Jiggy101011

Jiggy101011
3 years ago#10
benjimain posted...
LOL at anyone believing that info won't leave the console. Just LOL.

Im sorry your parents got a divorce.
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
If you want to troll, provide a source to backup your claims.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. MS discloses details about Kinect

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived