Clicking static noise inside xbox?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Clicking static noise inside xbox?

User Info: xGOOBx

xGOOBx
4 years ago#1
I set up my xbox earlier today and once I installed the day one update it started this shrilling noise while updating, then after the update was finished it continued to make a clicking sound.

Now even after the Xbox is off its still making the crackling noise from within.

It updated fine, played games fine, and everything seems to be in working order.

Almost just sounds like a computer HDD trying to do something

Should I be worried?

User Info: TravisCombs

TravisCombs
4 years ago#2
Is it your Xbox, or the power brick?

My Xbox is quiet when it's off, but the power brick is making faint "crackling" noises.
i5-760 @3.80GHz | 12GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | MSI GTX 660Ti | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Corsair TX650 | Antec 300 Illusion | Windows 7

User Info: jonny santos

jonny santos
4 years ago#3
I've got the same thing. I remember my original xbox makes the same sound but quieter. Strange how it stops when I start a game but returns after a few minutes on the home screens.
DEATH TO ALL EMO BANDS!!!

xGOOBx
4 years ago#4
It's not the power brick, the brick is about 3 feet away from the console.

I put my ear up to the Xbox itself and it's coming from right in the center.

Also, that's what it is doing for me also, just hopped on BF4 and it stopped but as soon as I home screened and turned it off it's making the sound.

I couldn't imagine trying to sleep with this ticking in my ear.

xGOOBx
4 years ago#5
Still ticking...

xGOOBx
4 years ago#6
Bump

User Info: Chargrilled

Chargrilled
4 years ago#7
mine makes a loud click every now and again.
could be hours apart before it does it again.

i thought it was the just the wood of my units expanding under heat.
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!

User Info: llsamuraill

llsamuraill
4 years ago#8
Try unpluging for two minutes then plug back in and fire it up. Should reboot the drive,which is what is making the noise.
Launch PS4, Xbox 1 soon after

xGOOBx
4 years ago#9
I unplugged it for 2 minutes and tried rebooting, still makes the shrilling noise but it has deffinently reduced the amount of ticking.

Still making noises though..actually now its making the shrilling noise instead of ticking.

Could this be a reason to get a new one?

User Info: Brparish3601

Brparish3601
4 years ago#10
Mine is doing the same thing when i turn it off. Both the console and the brick. But at the moment im installing the digital version of Forza 5 so it could be the noise it makes when its installing something while in standby mode. Have you got antyhing intalling in the background?
Why So Serious?
Xbox Live Gamertag: Brparish 360/ PSN: Brparish/ 3DS FC: 3926-4794-5250
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Clicking static noise inside xbox?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived