Microsoft Launching Original Programming On Xbox Next Year

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Microsoft Launching Original Programming On Xbox Next Year

User Info: Cowboy082288

Cowboy082288
4 years ago#31
Wow.... ok people. First a console doing more than just playing games doesn't mean you have to downgrade the game playing aspects of the device. I don't know why anyone would think that extra features equal a 1500 dollar console??

You can build a 300 dollar PC that has a lot more uses than either of these consoles. To me it would be ridiculous to have a device with all that cpu/gpu and ram that just plays games.

Also I guarantee you the PS4 is going to have feature after feature added to it with time. Sony would be insane to say 'yep what it does now is all it will ever do'. MS would curb stomp them over the next 8 years if they took that approach.

To whoever said that tablets don't compete with PCs you are wrong. It is a well known fact that mobile devices have been eating into PC sales over the last 3 or so years. Hell I just saw an ad yesterday saying 'get rid of your laptop and get a tablet'.
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni

User Info: Xeeh_Bitz

Xeeh_Bitz
4 years ago#32
Cowboy082288 posted...
Apex-Player posted...
I assumed MS would start focusing more on apps etc, after everything so far, but honestly to me this seems a little excessive.
Sure its 'extra' so it only adds more to the experience or whatever, but the more and more they focus on apps makes me wonder if the next 'box' might just be an entertainment unit all its own.
As in no games.

Like maybe they'll have:
Xbox2 for gaming,
MS box, for tv, apps, voice stuff etc.

Not saying they will, just seems like they prefer to be a media center rather then a gaming system.

It could happen, if so it would be a mistake because the casuals they gain this gen would probably just want the entertainment box next time and there gaming system would sell less. But still Damn are they ever focused on 75% everything else 25% gaming lately.

I never understand this sentiment. PC does MANY things but also plays games. These consoles are computers in another form factor. Why shouldn't they do many other things than just play games?

PC is different than a gaming console.

PC isn't regulated by anyone, hardware can be created and sold, no fine print saying they can't do this and that. Software isn't controlled either, Microsoft has no say on what software is created for Windows, they receive no more money from the initial sale of Windows 7,8.

They realize this, this is why they don't offer this stuff like they do on the Xbox because they can't control it, nor charge for it.

That's semi off what you're saying, I just wanted to say that anyway but in relation to what you said. PCs are designed to do everything, as they can do it well. Game Consoles are weak computers, they should handle gaming well but when a console starts to focus on other things it becomes apparent that it starts to lose quality over gaming.

Hence why the Xbone does 720P upscaled most of the time in games, because Microsoft TRIED to make it an all in one, which they did but it's more like a Can do it all, but not good at jack s***. That's why gaming consoles should stick to gaming with some media apps on the side, because they're simply not good enough(Hardware wise) to be like a PC
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You

User Info: chrish909

chrish909
4 years ago#33
Apex-Player posted...
I assumed MS would start focusing more on apps etc, after everything so far, but honestly to me this seems a little excessive.
Sure its 'extra' so it only adds more to the experience or whatever, but the more and more they focus on apps makes me wonder if the next 'box' might just be an entertainment unit all its own.
As in no games.

Like maybe they'll have:
Xbox2 for gaming,

Not saying they will, just seems like they prefer to be a media center rather then a gaming system.

It could happen, if so it would be a mistake because the casuals they gain this gen would probably just want the entertainment box next time and there gaming system would sell less. But still Damn are they ever focused on 75% everything else 25% gaming lately.

Tldr version:this guy is jelly that xbox can do more than just play games and ps4 cant
This is why I'm never going to get a ps4
http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml

Cowboy082288
4 years ago#34
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
Apex-Player posted...
As in no games.

Like maybe they'll have:
Xbox2 for gaming,

I never understand this sentiment. PC does MANY things but also plays games. These consoles are computers in another form factor. Why shouldn't they do many other things than just play games?

PC isn't regulated by anyone, hardware can be created and sold, no fine print saying they can't do this and that. Software isn't controlled either, Microsoft has no say on what software is created for Windows, they receive no more money from the initial sale of Windows 7,8.

They realize this, this is why they don't offer this stuff like they do on the Xbox because they can't control it, nor charge for it.

That's semi off what you're saying, I just wanted to say that anyway but in relation to what you said. PCs are designed to do everything, as they can do it well. Game Consoles are weak computers, they should handle gaming well but when a console starts to focus on other things it becomes apparent that it starts to lose quality over gaming.

Hence why the Xbone does 720P upscaled most of the time in games, because Microsoft TRIED to make it an all in one, which they did but it's more like a Can do it all, but not good at jack s***. That's why gaming consoles should stick to gaming with some media apps on the side, because they're simply not good enough(Hardware wise) to be like a PC

You realize that the vast majority of PCs have lesser specs than these new consoles? Why do people on gaming forums think that most PC owners have some high end gaming rig? Also my PC from 2000 was more versatile than these consoles.

This concept of a 1 for 1 loss in game play capability due to more features (most of which is just governed by software) is a false assumption. Having more features does not mean you have to use them all simultaneously while playing a game. Resources can be allocated as needed and if game play is suffering you just shut down other things that are running. This is what people already do on PC/tablets/phones.

In the modern era of smart devices I think it would be ludicrous to buy a 400 or 500 dollar computer device that does little more than play video games. Just games was enough for me when I was 12 and owned a super NES, I expect more now.

Fact is that both Sony and MS are already talking about different features they are looking to add over the coming years. I mean Sony put a 'Share' button right on the controller. That is not gaming related, that is social networking related. And you know what, it was a pretty damn good idea.

User Info: Xeeh_Bitz

Xeeh_Bitz
4 years ago#35
Cowboy082288 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
Apex-Player posted...
As in no games.

Like maybe they'll have:
Xbox2 for gaming,

You realize that the vast majority of PCs have lesser specs than these new consoles? Why do people on gaming forums think that most PC owners have some high end gaming rig? Also my PC from 2000 was more versatile than these consoles.

This concept of a 1 for 1 loss in game play capability due to more features (most of which is just governed by software) is a false assumption. Having more features does not mean you have to use them all simultaneously while playing a game. Resources can be allocated as needed and if game play is suffering you just shut down other things that are running. This is what people already do on PC/tablets/phones.

In the modern era of smart devices I think it would be ludicrous to buy a 400 or 500 dollar computer device that does little more than play video games. Just games was enough for me when I was 12 and owned a super NES, I expect more now.

Fact is that both Sony and MS are already talking about different features they are looking to add over the coming years. I mean Sony put a 'Share' button right on the controller. That is not gaming related, that is social networking related. And you know what, it was a pretty damn good idea.

You are forgetting something, most computers have a better processor than the Xbone/PS4. Which is entirely what is needed for things other than gaming.

Both consoles use an extremely weak cpu compared to PCs
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You

User Info: skermac

skermac
4 years ago#36
You mean people do something besides play games?
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive

Cowboy082288
4 years ago#37
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

You are forgetting something, most computers have a better processor than the Xbone/PS4. Which is entirely what is needed for things other than gaming.

Both consoles use an extremely weak cpu compared to PCs

Most things people do on their PC is not cpu intensive. The cpus in the X1 and PS4 are rather comparable to low end desktops and maybe midrange laptops. Yes both the PS4, X1 and Wii U have been optimized for graphics processing. Clearly because the main use of all three is to play video games. That Does not mean they can not do other things as well.

The original PS3 could have linux loaded onto it and be used like a computer. Hell I seem to remember that people loaded windows onto a Wii at one point. That consoles specs were far less than the X1 or PS4. The different features and uses of these consoles has much more to do with the OS/software on them than the hardware. I would love nothing more than to here MS say 'every X1 is now an open dev kit and if you are a windows developer go for it'. Just as long as they manage their app store in a more responsible way that Google does for android (1% of their apps being 'copycat steal your info and sale it' apps is unacceptable).

O sure enough, found the Wii thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-PE75g1iHs

User Info: Kolanifv

Kolanifv
4 years ago#38
chrish909 posted...
Tldr version:this guy is jelly that xbox can do more than just play games and ps4 cant

I think the difference in what people are complaining about now, and something that you don't realize if you had a 360 only last gen - Sony does have exclusive programming on PSN. They have original series and sometimes have movie exclusives before they make it to theatres. They don't push it down your throat at the sake of game content though, which it seems like Microsoft is going for on the One. It's not that it can't do it, it can. It's not what they want from a console.

User Info: godslayer61

godslayer61
4 years ago#39
Cowboy082288 posted...
Apex-Player posted...
As in no games.

Like maybe they'll have:
Xbox2 for gaming,

Because if you want that it already exists like you said it is a computer but some people don't want the headaches that come with pc gaming and just want to put in a game and play and the tv thing is a joke that only really works in NA . I own every system since the Atari 2600 days and the reason is for the games there are a lot that you can only play on certain systems and a ton of console games that are never released for the pc. To me the pc is only good for mmo games and adventure games like Siberia and still life.
ps3-ps4-vita-psn-kish1975 ----------xbox live (360, xbox one)-godslayer1975------------------wii u-kish1975----------http://www.twitch.tv/kish1975

User Info: archibald3

archibald3
4 years ago#40
You guys are way off topic . The fact that Spielberg is going to make a Halo tv series for the Xbox is not related to the technical specs of the system. Nor is anyone suggesting their going to be using system resources to make original programming.

As for the rest of the debate , which has been going on since before the launch , there`s just no winning this debate. Both the Sony crowd and the pc crowd are threatened by the Xbox One stepping up to officially declare itself more then a gaming machine despite the fact that both systems have been more then gaming machines for a long time.

Just the fact that this topic turned the way it did should tell you something about how the Xbox doing ANYTHING other then gaming gets the naysayers shorts in a bunch . They are also in complete denial that despite all the hot air the Xbox One can play a game like AC or NBA 2k14 and hold up very well in a side by side comparison in spite of the rhetoric graphic bots have spouted.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/11/26/nba-2k14-ps4-vs-xbox-one-graphics-comparison

This fact combined with you being able to have the internet or tv snapped WHILE your playing just plain threatens them. They`ll calmly tell you why this is ridiculous all day long , and how their other devices can SORT OF do this blah blah ,but common sense and a little perception will tell you that this is partly underlying every attack on the X1 your seeing on this board.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Microsoft Launching Original Programming On Xbox Next Year

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived