Activision Blizzard Inc. is spending $500 million to market and develop Destiny

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Activision Blizzard Inc. is spending $500 million to market and develop Destiny

User Info: bob15x

bob15x
3 years ago#31
BobbyB3000 posted...
bob15x posted...
"i thought that 500 mil is all put in the budget... i mean in all the classes i took they factor in all those in there or i guess i been lied to all my life"

Nope. You have been lied to.

there are budgets for production/development
then operating budgets.

the 500 mil would be just for the production/marketing/initial setup costs.

destiny is destined to be a spectacular failure. .

lol alright man i know you do not like destiny but i guess you need to go to college or something... development cost include developer salaries/payroll and further estimate long term issues into the budget so again you are wrong haha stinks to be dumb as rocks

and yes destiny is going to be a successful game for years to come

Dude. I am an accountant for over 22 years.

Yes, the salaries are included in the budget, the initial budget for the development. And where did I say otherwise. That 500 million does not include the salaries for the ongoing content, or costs running it.

just stop, you are losing so badly you need to run away ashamed. Off you go.

bob15x
3 years ago#32
Sniper_Brosef posted...
bob15x posted...
you are just plain useless aren't you.Yep every dollar from the sale at Bestbuy, EB ext goes to the developer.

Please stop trying, you are just proving to everyone you have no clue.fyi, where are you calculations for the salaries, maintenance, server costs, other overhead etc for the 10 years? or do you think everyone will work for free and the servers will be housed outside with perpetual energy?

Let's address this atrocity here...

Retailers don't make s*** on new copies of games. Games get people into the store to purchase accessories that have higher margins.

Yes, salaries and everything is included in this budget. You should just stop now.

learn to read.

"where are you calculations for the salaries, maintenance, server costs, other overhead etc for the 10 years?"

now read that very very carefully and see where you made a massive error.

User Info: MachineZed

MachineZed
3 years ago#33
skermac posted...
Plzstopflaming posted...
skermac posted...
$500 million is total budget, marketing and everything. They need to to make way more than $500 million to make a profit and for this game to be a success.

Activision Blizzard Inc. is spending $500 million to market and develop the game.

They need to make 500 million in 10 years to break even. Not at release. And again you aren't including DLC/Microtransactions/collectors editions. Or anything.

Name one game that makes money 10 years after release? just one! In a year only used resellers will be profitting.

I believe WoW and Everquest are 2 games 10 years old and still making money. At least I am pretty sure Everquest is still online. I know WoW is but unsure when it came out. Then perhaps EQ2 but again not sure if it is 10 years old yet.
---
Promote what you love rather than bash what you hate.

User Info: Plzstopflaming

Plzstopflaming
3 years ago#34
Lol 35 dollars of dlc is a way better option for content then 15$ a month to just play the game. And those expansions are going to have way more content than your average DLC (better be with being 20$)

User Info: xacebop

xacebop
3 years ago#35
I played it and it will be at least half as successful as gta5. The launch for a new series is high yes but have you even played the game?

User Info: xacebop

xacebop
3 years ago#36
MachineZed posted...
skermac posted...
Plzstopflaming posted...
skermac posted...
$500 million is total budget, marketing and everything. They need to to make way more than $500 million to make a profit and for this game to be a success.

Activision Blizzard Inc. is spending $500 million to market and develop the game.

They need to make 500 million in 10 years to break even. Not at release. And again you aren't including DLC/Microtransactions/collectors editions. Or anything.

Name one game that makes money 10 years after release? just one! In a year only used resellers will be profitting.

I believe WoW and Everquest are 2 games 10 years old and still making money. At least I am pretty sure Everquest is still online. I know WoW is but unsure when it came out. Then perhaps EQ2 but again not sure if it is 10 years old yet.

Yep. Eq came out in 99 I think. Maybe before that. Still a nice player base and just barely went f2p last year

User Info: SubSeenix

SubSeenix
3 years ago#37
skermac posted...
MM0's don't normally do that well. I guess they are banking on it being a Halo clone? No way I would spend $500 million on a game unless it was a series with a proven track record.

You didn't play the Alpha right?

Destiny is Halo 2.0
It does and is better than everything Halo ever did.Bungie evolved everything into the right direction.
Destiny will be the best game this year(not counting The Last of Us Remaster) and one of the best in this Gen.

500$ Million Budget is btw for the whole Franchise,Advertising and everything.
There will be a Destiny 2 and possible 3 over the time.They won't cost 500$ Million - maybe under 100 Million.
If you sell everytime 10-15 Million Units(what destiny easily will be able to do) you make money with such a game.

Destiny will sell easily 15 Million Units with its first game.Then the series is established and is growing and growing.

Stop being sad cause Bungie favors the mighty PS4.
Be sad cause 343 Studios will never come close to Bungie and will milk you with Copy+pasta

User Info: Sniper_Brosef

Sniper_Brosef
3 years ago#38
bob15x posted...
learn to read."where are you calculations for the salaries, maintenance, server costs, other overhead etc for the 10 years?"now read that very very carefully and see where you made a massive error.

It's worth noting this number doesn't solely cover development, but all the other expenses associated with manufacturing a title, including "marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs".

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/destiny-is-a-500-million-gamble-for-activision-says-kotick

This is the entire expected budget while planning for everything you just claimed would be an issue. Go away Mr. 22 year accountant. You're out of your elelment.
We're representatives from your nation's government.
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!

bob15x
3 years ago#39
MachineZed posted...
skermac posted...
Plzstopflaming posted...
skermac posted...

that is because of the subscription fee. The sub fee is actually a rip off when you look at the cost of running the servers and small content additions. And I know for Wow they charge for expansions so that covers the cost of its production.

Destiny does not have a sub fee so they are relying on overpriced dlc, microtransactions and possibly advertising to cover the costs.

The less it sells the more outlandish the microtransactions will be and I would not be surprised if we have to watch a commercial before logging on each time.

bob15x
3 years ago#40
Sniper_Brosef posted...
bob15x posted...
learn to read."where are you calculations for the salaries, maintenance, server costs, other overhead etc for the 10 years?"now read that very very carefully and see where you made a massive error.

It's worth noting this number doesn't solely cover development, but all the other expenses associated with manufacturing a title, including "marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs".

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/destiny-is-a-500-million-gamble-for-activision-says-kotick

This is the entire expected budget while planning for everything you just claimed would be an issue. Go away Mr. 22 year accountant. You're out of your elelment.

again, you didn't read. I know what the development budget contains. I said the salary costs over the next ten years. That quote you put says exactly what I said.

So i suggest you keep trying. Its laughable how you are arguing against something I never said.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Activision Blizzard Inc. is spending $500 million to market and develop Destiny

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived