Report: Microsoft's cuts include the EMEA Xbox team

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Report: Microsoft's cuts include the EMEA Xbox team

User Info: SoulTrapper

SoulTrapper
2 years ago#41
iamdanthaman posted...

I would imagine that the cuts would be to the people that are working on the technical aspects of what is failing, instead of a bunch of marketing employees. In your scenario they are cutting employees that don't even work on the types of things that you are attributing their layoffs to. It's not like they can take the software engineers that were working on Kinect, NuAds, and TV integration and have them do the jobs of the European marketing team.

This was a major restructuring of the entire company due to a change in leadership. It's something that happens with basically every major company when a new CEO takes over. or don't you remember what happened at Yahoo just two years ago?

http://allthingsd.com/20120305/yahoos-new-ceo-preps-major-restructuring-including-significant-layoffs/

That's why they cut the Xbox entertainment studio, because they weren't going to be using it (much) anymore.

And why they cut the marketing employees, for which NuAds were going to bring in a lot of work.

In my scenario, they're making cuts where the kinect and the NuAds are going to have the least impact/profit, due to lower sales.

The jobs that aren't getting cut, are open to everyone else. So they could be be moving people around from marketing to other positions.

The cuts at Nokia are due to restructuring, I'm not denying that.
The cuts at the Xbox division are a different story.

And your article basically backs up my claim:

“It is going to be deep,” said one manager who has not yet been given specific numbers to cut, but that it appears as if each unit will be required to show either substantive savings or a clear path to great growth in revenue.

Which would indicate that, if the situation was similar, it would indeed be due the xbox one not doing so good sales wise.

User Info: scoobydoobydont

scoobydoobydont
2 years ago#42
slowdog76 posted...
I just left off your cross dressing Scooby :D

But that's the eccentric quirk that makes people think I'm weird but harmless so I can.... I've, I've said too much. *torches topic*
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil (aka Altair001)
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg

SoulTrapper
2 years ago#43
slowdog76 posted...
soultrapper:

no, what you have are misguided opinions (but i respect them) and whenever anyone tries to correct you - and note i say "correct" - or put forward their own, you then spend however long trying to argue that they are wrong and you are right, often with the odd "witty" insult thrown in for good measure.

and yes, i do respect your opinion. i find them laughable sometimes, but i dont begrudge you having them.

and yes, sometimes i may well make acerbic little comments here and there. mainly because i dont want to waste my time typing long thought out replies all over the place because, well, the next day i would probably have to type the same thing all over again. but then, sometimes i will.

im not even sure what you mean by lower level of public dialogue. maybe it just means that i dont agree with you. sometimes, often times, i dont. and if that is what "lower level of public dialogue" means, then im happy to reside there.

but here is the thing about you soul trapper. your apparent narcissism means you have to comment on topics such as this. your apparent sub-clinical psychopathy has you arguing about things that you really don't understand, and often-times try to twist what you read and hear to fit into your own agenda.

think i'm wrong? you are spending your time here, in this thread trying to push your opinion as fact, trying to score points and woe-betide anyone that disagrees, when in actual fact, the only discussion that should be had on the subject is that 18,000 people are about to lose their jobs. and that in any circumstance is pretty crappy.

I never throw in insults unless people insult me first, which happens quite a lot because I'm usually correct.
What I post is always backed up by facts, if I'm not certain of my case, I don't try and argue it.

The fact that you think facts or a decently build argument backed up by facts are somehow "misguided opinions" is a clear showing of the lack of value your contributions have to this topic.

What I mean by your posts only contributing to a lower level of public dialogue is exactly what you demonstrate in that post:
Not once do you address the actual topic until the vary last bit of your post and even then it wasn't actually addressing it, it was mentioning it should be addressed. Which you ironically, didn't.

Your posts aimed at me so far haven't addressed my arguments at all, either.
You simply throw crap around and see what sticks, but never once do you even attempt to address the post itself.
And it's not just in this topic, it's basically all you post when confronted with facts you don't like.

And that only leads to more people throwing more crap around instead of any actual discussion.

That's what I mean by your posts only contributing to a lower level of public dialogue.

I don't have to comment at all, there are a dozen topics with the same subject where I didn't post anything.
I understand it isn't pleasant to have to read stuff you don't like, but dragging some psychological BS won't make it go away.
There's an ignore button made for exactly that purpose: to make sure people don't get their feelings hurt by facts.

What discussion should be had, is up to what people want to discuss.

Right now, you want to discuss me and my posts (which seems quite obsessive imo).
If you go back and read my first post, you'll see I only posted my sympathies to the people who lost their job due to management decisions.

User Info: slowdog76

slowdog76
2 years ago#44
Go on. Say it. So you can go ballroom dancing with pensioners. We all know
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

User Info: Ellesarien

Ellesarien
2 years ago#45
scoobydoobydont posted...
regsantotomas posted...
I bet at least 1 person on here is on Warren Buffet's speed dial. This is legit analysis at its best!

I tell my secretary to put him on hold and pretend she's transferring him using different voices each time so he'll both get tired of waiting and hang up, and also so he is impressed by how many secretaries I have. It's working more or less.

It's a Family Guy episode!!
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.

User Info: regsantotomas

regsantotomas
2 years ago#46
This topic has gotten really awesome
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain

User Info: GILLKLACK

GILLKLACK
2 years ago#47
Wow! That was an awesome retort Soul Trap.
FC=3840-6176-0981. PSN= GILLKLACK WIIU=flonomenal

User Info: iamdanthaman

iamdanthaman
2 years ago#48
SoulTrapper posted...

That's why they cut the Xbox entertainment studio, because they weren't going to be using it (much) anymore.

And why they cut the marketing employees, for which NuAds were going to bring in a lot of work.

In my scenario, they're making cuts where the kinect and the NuAds are going to have the least impact/profit, due to lower sales.

The jobs that aren't getting cut, are open to everyone else. So they could be be moving people around from marketing to other positions.

The cuts at Nokia are due to restructuring, I'm not denying that.
The cuts at the Xbox division are a different story.

And your article basically backs up my claim:

“It is going to be deep,” said one manager who has not yet been given specific numbers to cut, but that it appears as if each unit will be required to show either substantive savings or a clear path to great growth in revenue.

Which would indicate that, if the situation was similar, it would indeed be due the xbox one not doing so good sales wise.

Obviously these cuts were made to become more profitable, all I'm saying is that they weren't made as a reflex due to them not hitting a specific sales number or to their market position relative to Sony or Nintendo, but more because of Nadella's specific ideas about how it should ideally be structured in order to be most profitable, otherwise you could also imply that the cuts at Nokia were made because of how poorly windows phone is doing compared to Android and iphone.
All your base are belong to us

SoulTrapper
2 years ago#49
iamdanthaman posted...

Obviously these cuts were made to become more profitable, all I'm saying is that they weren't made as a reflex due to them not hitting a specific sales number or to their market position relative to Sony or Nintendo, but more because of Nadella's specific ideas about how it should ideally be structured in order to be most profitable, otherwise you could also imply that the cuts at Nokia were made because of how poorly windows phone is doing compared to Android and iphone.

I partially agree with you on that, it's not something that was suddenly decided and it's not solely because of the lacking sales.

What I'm saying, is that where those cuts were made, is due to the lower sales in that area.
The reason the jobs wee cut in Europe and not in the US, is due to less need of marketing people in that part of the world, due to the lower than expected sales.

The cuts would probably have been made regardless, but I'm suggesting they would have been made in different areas if the console had better sales.

User Info: iamdanthaman

iamdanthaman
2 years ago#50
SoulTrapper posted...

I partially agree with you on that, it's not something that was suddenly decided and it's not solely because of the lacking sales.

What I'm saying, is that where those cuts were made, is due to the lower sales in that area.
The reason the jobs wee cut in Europe and not in the US, is due to less need of marketing people in that part of the world, due to the lower than expected sales.

The cuts would probably have been made regardless, but I'm suggesting they would have been made in different areas if the console had better sales.

I can see that being a possibility, but I think it is probably more likely that they would have been the same regardless due to how he handled the Nokia layoffs. They basically got rid of all marketing positions overseas and will be handling all of that from their corporate headquarters in Renton. That seems to be his preference.
All your base are belong to us
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Report: Microsoft's cuts include the EMEA Xbox team

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived