Hackers make XBOX ONE's Kinect work on a PC!!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Hackers make XBOX ONE's Kinect work on a PC!!

User Info: Solnot

Solnot
3 years ago#1
http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/18/hackers-make-xbox-ones-kinect-work-on-a-pc/

Microsoft famously said the XBOX ONE Kinect wouldn't work on a PC, but hackers have already done the trick mere days after the release of the Kinect for Windows v2.0 SDK. As shown in the video below, they managed to rewire a USB 3.0 cable to pair it with a laptop, giving them access to the depth sensor. The pair work at Hyperkin (which happens to sell gaming accessories), and plan to make a retail version of the cable available. Kinect for Windows 2.0 is already up for pre-order, but such a cable could be handy if you can't wait to get one, or don't want to splurge for a redundant Kinect. The XBOX 360's sensor was hacked in a similar way, but the Kinect 2's hardware is far more powerful. On a PC, it could function as a motion capture device or map a 3D environment, to name just a few examples -- far more interesting applications than Just Dance.

User Info: scoobydoobydont

scoobydoobydont
3 years ago#2
MS "famously" said that (famously? really?) because it wasn't a standard connector. Not because they were implying it was some magical piece of kit that PC's couldn't handle. And it isn't much of a hack to use the SDK MS themselves released. The hardware is pretty much exactly the same as what the PC version will be, but with a new connector and AC adapter.

Still, I guess if this "hack" results in even one more person tinkering with the technology to make something interesting, that's cool.
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil (aka Altair001)
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Hackers make XBOX ONE's Kinect work on a PC!!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived