Ubisoft won't attempt an unlimited gaming service until EA proves it can work

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Ubisoft won't attempt an unlimited gaming service until EA proves it can work

User Info: Bikes-

Bikes-
2 years ago#11
nableet posted...
grampamurked posted...
I don't like where this is headed. I don't want to pay a fee to play games I would rather own.

Then don't :-S

As long as the games are available as they are now then you can carry on like that, as I will.

Just as long as they don't try and worsen the experience for non-subscribers to give the subscribers a better deal. Add content for sure, don't deny content that would have otherwise been available though.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/madden-nfl-15-not-getting-a-demo-only-xbox-one-own/1100-6421645/

It's only a matter of time until exclusive dlc for games, and the like for subscribers. And I have no doubt that unless it bombs Ubisoft will jump on board as well.
FC: 2921-9087-2265

User Info: Jiggy101011

Jiggy101011
2 years ago#12
grampamurked posted...
I don't like where this is headed. I don't want to pay a fee to play games I would rather own.

Do you hate Gamefly and Redbox too? What about Netflix? Do you hate paying a monthly subscription fee to watch movies and TV shows that you don't own?
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
Currently Playing: Gears of War 3, Titanfall, Halo 4

User Info: spacejamjordanz

spacejamjordanz
2 years ago#13
Jiggy101011 posted...
grampamurked posted...

Do you hate Gamefly and Redbox too? What about Netflix? Do you hate paying a monthly subscription fee to watch movies and TV shows that you don't own?

Neither Gamefly, Redbox, or Netflix's content is limited to one publisher.
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138

User Info: IHATEMYGT

IHATEMYGT
2 years ago#14
Sounds great. Cabt wait to have the choice between individual games vs value driven online packages. Hopefully every developer will give me a choice in how I buy my games in thw future.
Make the internet the place YOU want it to be :)

User Info: weAREtheB0RG

weAREtheB0RG
2 years ago#15
The only thing I see that has me worried is i just don't think EA has enough games to keep a steady stream of content coming into the vault. I could forsee subbing for a month then letting it lapse for a few months then resubbing. We will see though.

User Info: Exodus_Prime

Exodus_Prime
2 years ago#16
staticxtreme5 posted...
The only thing I see that has me worried is i just don't think EA has enough games to keep a steady stream of content coming into the vault. I could forsee subbing for a month then letting it lapse for a few months then resubbing. We will see though.

I would also like to see how often they will add games.

---
Bungie's "Destiny" Has Reached A New Level Of Gaming
(Only On Multi Consoles)

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
2 years ago#17
Subscription-based services are really the future of media consumption.

Instead of buying physical CDs, people now, by majority, buy music digitally or purchase a media streaming program.

Instead of buying physical BluRays, people are now choosing to purchase video streaming subscriptions.

With the bandwidth available, there's no reason why a streaming gaming service can't follow suit of the rest of the media sector.

I mean, legitimately, people are changing very quickly. The rate of consumption of media is so incredibly quick now - when I was a kid you'd save up for a VHS/Betamax (and yes, I've always been a multi-"console" owner ;D ), then watch it over and over again. Now, I can hardly finish a single episode of a show on Netflix without switching out or bringing up a second internet panel to trawl through superfluous nonsense.

We just consume things at such an astounding rate that the sense of ownership of everything we have is diminishing - which is why a rental subscription is logically a sane and sensible step for the industry.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo
Old PS3/PSVita: SigmaLongshot (Stay tuned for PS4 tag!)

User Info: regsantotomas

regsantotomas
2 years ago#18
I suppose that depends on how you would measure success. I think that if adoption rate is high enough in a short time frame, UBISoft and others will likely move quickly to offer similar solutions faster than some may think.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain

User Info: Enclave

Enclave
2 years ago#19
SigmaLongshot posted...

Instead of buying physical CDs, people now, by majority, buy music digitally or purchase a media streaming program.

Instead of buying physical BluRays, people are now choosing to purchase video streaming subscriptions.

With the bandwidth available, there's no reason why a streaming gaming service can't follow suit of the rest of the media sector.

I mean, legitimately, people are changing very quickly. The rate of consumption of media is so incredibly quick now - when I was a kid you'd save up for a VHS/Betamax (and yes, I've always been a multi-"console" owner ;D ), then watch it over and over again. Now, I can hardly finish a single episode of a show on Netflix without switching out or bringing up a second internet panel to trawl through superfluous nonsense.

We just consume things at such an astounding rate that the sense of ownership of everything we have is diminishing - which is why a rental subscription is logically a sane and sensible step for the industry.

It's only the future if we let it be the future.

I personally don't relish the thought of a future where I don't own my games. I also don't relish the future where once a company decides that a game is no longer profitable enough to justify the bandwidth costs that they will just remove it altogether.

I still bust out my NES occasionally and it horrifies me that there may come a day where I won't be able to bust out an old console of mine to play games on because some publisher wanted to push me towards a newer product instead of still enjoying an older one.
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.

User Info: weAREtheB0RG

weAREtheB0RG
2 years ago#20
Enclave posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

It's only the future if we let it be the future.

I personally don't relish the thought of a future where I don't own my games. I also don't relish the future where once a company decides that a game is no longer profitable enough to justify the bandwidth costs that they will just remove it altogether.

I still bust out my NES occasionally and it horrifies me that there may come a day where I won't be able to bust out an old console of mine to play games on because some publisher wanted to push me towards a newer product instead of still enjoying an older one.

If that thought horrifies you I would hate to see what you think about a real, hard hitting life issue. So what if you can't play a game from today 15 years down the road? Is it really that big a deal?
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Ubisoft won't attempt an unlimited gaming service until EA proves it can work

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived