Looking to buy a new 4k HDR tv, what is HDR Pro?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Looking to buy a new 4k HDR tv, what is HDR Pro?

User Info: phoenix9291

phoenix9291
5 months ago#31
LanternOfAsh posted...
I wish people would stop mentioning KS8000. That thing isn't available from most reliable sources anymore and was clearances months ago. You really have to get lucky on the aftermarket or find some obscure website to get one.

They are still in stock at some places but it is a 2016 model and it will become harder and harder to find in stores as the year goes on.
Not changing sig until Flyers win the cup

User Info: ExempliGratia

ExempliGratia
5 months ago#32
Rand_Aybara posted...
LanternOfAsh posted...
I wish people would stop mentioning KS8000. That thing isn't available from most reliable sources anymore and was clearances months ago. You really have to get lucky on the aftermarket or find some obscure website to get one.

Both of the Best Buys that are within ten miles of my apartment have several.

In NYC it doesn't seem to be the case. I can find only the curved version atm.
Xbox Live Gamertag :ExempliGratiaEGPSN/Vita::ExempliGratia
Trolls love me but, can't get rid of me

User Info: Ganon86

Ganon86
5 months ago#33
as long as it is sony or samsung of the top of my head the HDR will work with your xbox

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
5 months ago#34
ExempliGratia posted...
Rand_Aybara posted...
LanternOfAsh posted...

They are on sale here at the moment, so probably just clearing out inventory. I was at one yesterday and they had three 65", two 60", and four or five 55". I live in Kansas City though

User Info: grampamurked

grampamurked
5 months ago#35
Pizzatarian posted...
HDR Pro is basically a marketing term for HDR10.

LG, the second largest TV OEM in the world, has launched its entire lineup of 2016 OLED and Super UHD LED TVs with Dolby Vision globally. (Also, don't be confused by the term 'HDR Pro' - LG calls TVs that use HDR10, HDR Pro TVs.)
http://www.techradar.com/news/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-hdr-format-war

It is similar to how companies use different terms for refresh rate. For example, Samsung uses Clear Motion Rate, LG has TruMotion, Sony does MotionFlow XR, etc.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

ab2c4 posted...
UN65MU800D which says is HDR ($2,000)
UN65MU630D which says is HDR Pro (I think its $1,300)

From a quick look, the main difference between these two TV's is the refresh rate. The cheaper one is 60hz, and the more expensive one is 120hz.

"Motion Rate 120 for fast action scenes" = 60hz

http://www.bjs.com/samsung-un65mu630d-65-4k-uhd-smart-led-tv-with-white-glove-delivery.product.3000000000000843602

"Motion Rate 240 for crisp fast action scenes" = 120hz

http://www.bjs.com/samsung-un65mu800d-65-premium-4k-uhd-smart-led-tv-with-white-glove-delivery.product.3000000000000832586

The higher refresh rate is nice but for console only gaming would be pointless as console games never exceed 60 fps which is essentially 59 or 60hz
Steam ID: H8Laggers PSN ID: GRAMPAMURKEDU GT: H8laggers
Currently playing: The keyboard on my smartphone.

User Info: Pizzatarian

Pizzatarian
5 months ago#36
grampamurked posted...
The higher refresh rate is nice but for console only gaming would be pointless as console games never exceed 60 fps which is essentially 59 or 60hz

That is a good point.

A TV with a high refresh rate is not guaranteed to be free of motion blur. Even for console gaming, there is no advantage in using a 120Hz+ TV, because console video games are capped at 60 fps anyway.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-refresh-rate

On a 120 Hz TV, the frame interpolation will work fairly well for 24 FPS and 30 FPS material as both fit into 120 at least three times. For 60 FPS material such as console games, computer display signals from a GPU, and certain broadcast signals, the frame interpolation used for motion blur reduction suffers from "hiccups". It is often referred to as the "hurry up and wait" effect where the motion smoothing will appear OK for a few frames, then suddenly de-sync for a couple of frames, and repeat the cycle. This is because there is no time to process the two key frames needed to go along with the third interpolated frame. At 60 FPS, on a 120 Hz TV, the TV can process two frames per refresh cycle, which does not leave enough time to inject an interpolated frame every other frame, which is necessary for motion smoothing to work properly. That is why TVs need processing at least three times the panel's refresh rate so that it can inject the interpolated frame in the time of each frame cycle.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion
"When you work with your hands you'll never be rich but you'll never go hungry." SR3

User Info: ExempliGratia

ExempliGratia
5 months ago#37
Rand_Aybara posted...
ExempliGratia posted...
Rand_Aybara posted...
LanternOfAsh posted...

They are on sale here at the moment, so probably just clearing out inventory. I was at one yesterday and they had three 65", two 60", and four or five 55". I live in Kansas City though

Yea they are cleaning out stock. THe curved 55" is $1100 the same price I saw the 55" non curved version I bought last year. I still wish I got the 55 inch :(
Xbox Live Gamertag :ExempliGratiaEGPSN/Vita::ExempliGratia
Trolls love me but, can't get rid of me

User Info: regsantotomas

regsantotomas
5 months ago#38
There are three HDR 'standards':

HDR10
DolbyVision
HLG or Hybrid Log Gamma

Many manufacturers use the term HDR in various forms loosely but their level of support will vary from model to model.

HDR10 supports up to 4,000 nits w 10 bit while Dolby Vision supports up to 10,000 nits w 12 bit. That being said, even the best TVs today will be at most 1000 nits
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. - Anton Ego

User Info: kingofjamaica

kingofjamaica
5 months ago#39
HDR Pro is Samsung's term for their low end HDR option.

It's still HDR10, but it's not as good as their next step up, which is "HDR Extreme". I assume this has something to do with peak brightness of the display, but didn't feel like researching it.

If you can find one, and for a reasonable price, get a KS8000 instead. It's much better than the MU series, and for some reason better than the new Q7F that is replacing it.
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.

User Info: cymanx

cymanx
5 months ago#40
This whole thing where most people won't own a 4KTV is rubbish. The truth is, that 4KTVs are becoming cheaper to buy. With some extra cash, you can even have it covered for two years from places like Best Buy. Saw an open box 4KTV with HDR for just under 500.00
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Looking to buy a new 4k HDR tv, what is HDR Pro?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived