Is it my router/modem combo?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Is it my router/modem combo?

User Info: Thomassmith19

Thomassmith19
1 month ago#1
So for the past month I have been having my upload speed drop massive. I get 17 mbps upload and it drops to less then 1mb. All while Iam playing overwatch in comp mode. It's killing me and I'm ready to explode. Cable provider says they see nothing on their end. But someone said it could be my router/modem combo going bad. It's only around 4 or 5 years old. Has anyone else experienced this? I hate having to go out and speed money on another one if I don't have too.

User Info: djwagon

djwagon
1 month ago#2
just curious here .did they say you are 100% clean on thier end or did they say you have some gray outs .i go with a modem and router deal myself i have as a modem the netgearcn-1000 and for a router i have the netgear x-10 one and i get blamed for lagging
Gamefaqs. the place were grammar/english/typing is more important then talking about video games .people attack me for that reason PRICELESS. ok by OTACON120

Thomassmith19
1 month ago#3
Basically said everything was good on their end. But they want to send someone out but last time I called the tech told me it was my modem. I don't have any lag just a straight drop in upload and it boots me right away. Does it just random times but it's happening more and more over the last.two weeks

User Info: JayDotKill

JayDotKill
1 month ago#4
At least yours doesn't restart when in the middle of an online game
Elizabeth Olsen is hot af
Currently playing: GTA Online, Battlefield 1, Mortal Kombat X

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
1 month ago#5
Gateways are kind of crap, I would suggest getting a separate router and modem. SB6190, SB6183, or if you're not looking for the longer term solution then the SB6141. I would stay away from the SB6121 at this point because it may be obsolete soon. Each of the models listed does more channel banding as the model number increases. And even if you're service doesn't support as many channels banding right now, they may later and it would be good to have the modem that supports it.

For a router I like to suggest the Asus RT-AC66U for a cheaper solution, or the RT-AC88U if you want to get one a little more powerful. The power is all regarding WIFI for the most part, the RT-AC66U is already pretty good with WIFI and is going to work fine for most people.

What is your speeds supposed to be? And what are your actual speeds?

You said cable, so there is a chance that you're neighborhood is overloaded and they need to do a breakout. If that is the problem then it will take a lot more work for you to go after the cable company and get them to fix the problem. You have to call during those peak hours when you're having the problems.

Do you have only that one xbox on the network? Or is there another one, another Xbox One or an Xbox 360?
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

Thomassmith19
1 month ago#6
Speeds are suppose to be 80 dl and 17 upload. Download doesn't seem to drop and my speeds are always perfect. But out of nowhere my upload will drop to literally 0 and I get kicked instantly. Not sure if modems/router combos are prone to going bad. I don't live in a neighborhood by the way

User Info: PUERTOxROCK

PUERTOxROCK
1 month ago#7
Router/modem combos are mediocre for the most part...I always go separate router and modem...you can get FAR SUPERIOR routers than the ones the cable company gives you.

Also some cable companies share your bandwidth with other customers in the area...using you as a gateway or hub...Ever see those commercials stating free WiFi in certain public locations? they don't come out and tell you these things, it's hidden in pages and pages of service agreements that most never bother to look at.

Get yourself your own router...ensuring full control with no shady backdoor use or monitoring.

And to top it off you will get superior range and speed over those built in jalopies the cable company throw in.

User Info: skermac

skermac
1 month ago#8
Every one told me a modem router combo is garbage and they should be separate devices
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive

CapwnD
1 month ago#9
Thomassmith19 posted...
I don't live in a neighborhood by the way

Still possible that your area needs a breakout. Does it happen at peak times? Or is it any random time?

CapwnD
1 month ago#10
PUERTOxROCK posted...
Also some cable companies share your bandwidth with other customers in the area...using you as a gateway or hub...Ever see those commercials stating free WiFi in certain public locations? they don't come out and tell you these things, it's hidden in pages and pages of service agreements that most never bother to look at.

This is true, from what I've heard. However what I'm not clear about is if your actual bandwidth is shared when you're providing that free WIFI. It's possible that you are still getting your advertised speed and that the WIFI that is being provided for "free" is not affecting your bandwidth. I mean either way I guess the bandwidth is physically going through your cable connection, but it's possible that it's not affecting your speeds, that there is some allocated bandwidth for the "free" WIFI.

Either way I don't like the idea of people connecting through my network. They could be downloading cp or something.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Is it my router/modem combo?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived