The Halo franchise needs its own 'Sonic Mania'

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. The Halo franchise needs its own 'Sonic Mania'

User Info: Stratoz

Stratoz
3 months ago#1
Regardless of your opinion on the Halo franchise, what is not subjective is that the series has been in an overall decline in sales, user base, popularity as well as critical and fan reception. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube from fans expressing their frustration and disappointment of the series ever since 343i took over the series. One in particular is by the well known Crowbcat: https://youtu.be/6qfx9eoB-88

Similarly to the Sonic franchise, Halo received drastic changes that, as time has passed by, continued to get more negative responses from fans. Especially veterans who played Halo since Combat Evolved. Many feel that the series is no longer the game that they fell in love with. Criticisms directed to 343 Halo games include: drastic changes to the already acclaimed art style of Halo that were for the worst, changes to the overall philosophy of the games (overly complex and convoluted storyline with linear, uninteresting campaigns), lack of Marty O'Donnell's hugely acclaimed and unforgettable soundtrack that set the mood and atmosphere to the game and its environments flawlessly, 343's lack of originality and method of copying its competitors (enhanced mobility, ADS, ordinance drops, abilities/perks, weapon loadouts, microtransaction loot crates a la REQ packs, etc.)

What I believe the Halo franchise is in desperate need of is its own "Sonic Mania" game. Take a look at Sonic Mania, a game that truly goes back to the roots of the Sega Genesis-era of Sonic the Hedgehog games. Besides its lack of original, new levels, the game was highly praised and brought back joy to the many disillusioned Sonic fans. This is exactly what the Halo franchise needs.

Halo needs to go back to its roots. It has to incorporate its amazing art style (Halo 2 Anniversary proved it aged like fine wine), classic [armors, Covenant, weapons etc], music that imitates Marty O'Donnell's (or just have him compose the music), the simple but excellently written story lines with deep lore like Halo 2 authored by Joseph Staten, have huge open sandbox levels that reward exploration, smart enemy AI that are tough but can be defeated with dozens of different strategies, a multiplayer experience like Halo 3 but with improvements to its formula that don't include copying Call of Duty or the other popular FPSes, Spartan customization similar to Halo Reach where armor can only be unlocked through credits or achievements and multiplayer maps that are fun for the first and the thousandth time.

Forget Halo 6 and this already diasterous trilogy/saga that 343i gave us, start all over from Halo 3's ending. No more of this Spartan Locke/SPARTAN-IV crap, no more Didact or boring Prometheans and none of this terribly written "Cortana is now the bad guy" crap.

User Info: rsizzle619

rsizzle619
3 months ago#2
tl;dr

Halo: Master Chief Collection?
GamerTag: Rasy2kG - SW-3615-5683-4116 - http://itsmyurls.com/rasy2kg

Stratoz
3 months ago#3
rsizzle619 posted...
tl;dr

Halo: Master Chief Collection?

That's a collection of games remastered for the Xbox One. I'm referring to a brand new game.

User Info: ExtendedSpice

ExtendedSpice
3 months ago#4
Don't think so

Stratoz
3 months ago#5
ExtendedSpice posted...
Don't think so

Why?

User Info: LaLiLuLeLoSnake

LaLiLuLeLoSnake
3 months ago#6
I like 343 and halo 4&5.
Xbox Live: Allenbih
PSN: Livadic

User Info: IHATEMYGT

IHATEMYGT
3 months ago#7
LaLiLuLeLoSnake posted...
I like 343 and halo 4&5.

I Don't >:(
"Be at peace with the world, and the world will be at peace with you"

User Info: ExempliGratia

ExempliGratia
3 months ago#8
Sonic needed a good game like Sonic Mania. Halo 5 is a pretty good game already. Halo 4 was ok.
Xbox Live Gamertag :ExempliGratiaEGPSN/Vita::ExempliGratia
Trolls love me but, can't get rid of me

User Info: Xbox4ever

Xbox4ever
3 months ago#9
LaLiLuLeLoSnake posted...
I like 343 and halo 4&5.

I do to.

Have you played halo 5 recently? It's become dramatically better. The only thing that's missing is Zanzibar and the old halo 2 ranking system.

One of my favorite memories of Zanzibar was the timed assault game type. Each team got ~3 min to plant the bomb and then the other team got a shot at it.
FC: 2878-9605-4861 Pokemon Sun

User Info: Strav23

Strav23
3 months ago#10
Halo Wars 2 was great since they went back to the old school elites that Halo 4 changed. I am hoping they stick to that for Halo 6 since Halo Wars 2 is the latest entry in the series.

I actually like the gameplay improvements, the ADS, no loadouts, weapon balancing and overall modernized control setup is the best the series has been.
*Browncoats* "I aim to misbehave" - Malcom Reynolds
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. The Halo franchise needs its own 'Sonic Mania'

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived