Wait the Xbox One needs a f***ing app to play blu ray movies?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Wait the Xbox One needs a f***ing app to play blu ray movies?

User Info: LanternOfAsh

LanternOfAsh
1 month ago#21
Hahahaha yeah it needs an app. Any more questions, Sherlock?
u avin a giggle there m8?

User Info: b166er01

b166er01
1 month ago#22
BoogerRed posted...
Iron_Legion27 posted...
I think what TC is saying is that you do have to actually download an app on the xbox before you can watch a blu ray. On the ps4 you can just put the dvd and blu ray in the console and it will start playing. You don't have to actually download an app like yo do on the xbox.

Ahh, a reasonable person.

I'm no techscienmatologist, but I'm sure the PS4 uses an app too. It's just built in. The xb1 app is only 30 MB. It can be downloaded faster than it would take to log into this site.
Yes, I wear glasses. No, I'm not a hipster; I actually need them

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
1 month ago#23
You may not need to download it with the PS4 but you still need to be connected to the internet at least once so that the license to use the app is applied.

Sony and Microsoft would be stupid to pay for the license for every console without knowing if the people will even use it. It would be throwing money away.
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

User Info: The_Hedon

The_Hedon
1 month ago#24
Ah, I remember this...

https://www.cnet.com/news/ps4-will-need-a-software-update-to-play-blu-rays-and-dvds/

PS4 will need a software update to play Blu-rays and DVDs

"The PS4 won't play DVDs and Blu-rays out of the box. You'll need to install a 300MB software update first."
PSN: Kvally, XBL: xHedon, Steam: Kvally. PS Pro, Xbox One S, Windows PC.

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
1 month ago#25
Iron_Legion27 posted...
I think what TC is saying is that you do have to actually download an app on the xbox before you can watch a blu ray. On the ps4 you can just put the dvd and blu ray in the console and it will start playing. You don't have to actually download an app like yo do on the xbox.

So it comes pre-installed vs having to perform a small download....BFD. It's still an app either way.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
1 month ago#26
The_Hedon
Ah, I remember this...

https://www.cnet.com/news/ps4-will-need-a-software-update-to-play-blu-rays-and-dvds/

PS4 will need a software update to play Blu-rays and DVDs

"The PS4 won't play DVDs and Blu-rays out of the box. You'll need to install a 300MB software update first."

Exactly, they would be stupid not to. Why pay for all those unused licenses. The Xbox original did it a different way, charged us for the remote which also enabled the license. By plugging the remote sensor into the console you actually physically put the logo on the console, and legally licensed the machine.

And if you're on a nuclear sub and don't have internet then we have a video player for you... it's called a VCR.
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
1 month ago#27
CapwnD posted...
And if you're on a nuclear sub and don't have internet then we have a video player for you... it's called a VCR

DVD player would work in that situation.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)

The_Hedon
1 month ago#28
GinsuVictim posted...
CapwnD posted...
And if you're on a nuclear sub and don't have internet then we have a video player for you... it's called a VCR

DVD player would work in that situation.

DVD player would probably skip while the sub is launching missiles at North Korea.

User Info: ConkersBonkers

ConkersBonkers
1 month ago#29
Wow Xbox fanboys.

What I actually mean is that you have to download an app on the Xbox store just to use a blu ray device lol.

And before y'all say that's self entitlement. A f***ing PS3 that came out 11 years ago can play blu ray movies right off the bat, so what the f*** is the excuse 11 years later

The_Hedon
1 month ago#30
ConkersBonkers posted...
Wow Xbox fanboys.

What I actually mean is that you have to download an app on the Xbox store just to use a blu ray device lol.

And before y'all say that's self entitlement. A f***ing PS3 that came out 11 years ago can play blu ray movies right off the bat, so what the f*** is the excuse 11 years later

Same excuse that the PS4 has when it has to download the bluray player from the PSN server.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Wait the Xbox One needs a f***ing app to play blu ray movies?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived