The performance of the Xbox One X will determine how soon I get a 4k set.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. The performance of the Xbox One X will determine how soon I get a 4k set.

User Info: JcOpIVY86

JcOpIVY86
3 months ago#1
If it sells and developers support it, I'll be taking the plunge.
I've got a One S and a 4k monitor for my computer.
Gaming isn't that impressive but I didn't expect it to be.
What is impressive is watching a 4k blu ray and stuff on Netflix in 4k.
Absolutely stunning and that's without HDR.

Doing my homework on it, I think a Vizio m series set might be it.
55inch at Target for $700, 4k, supports both HDR10 and Dolby vision.

I got my first HDTV because of the 360....12 years later, it might happen again.
I'm inching to jump....anyone else?
Sometimes it's what you don't do that makes you who you are.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/jckorn86/smallerbanner.jpg

User Info: Defhimself

Defhimself
3 months ago#2
I jumped as soon as I heard about the X. Did the same when the Xbox 360 S came out. When it had HDMI out then I got my first HD tv

User Info: GhostPhoenix1

GhostPhoenix1
3 months ago#3
Normally this is exactly what I would do at tax season but this year we had a sudden move and racked up a pretty fair chunk of debt. I will likely still get the X1X though after I pay everything off. The tv though that will have to wait. I hear the difference will be noticeable even on a high end 1080 screen
Gt: Ghostknobone
PSN: Calelomus77

User Info: Masamune_6969

Masamune_6969
3 months ago#4
JcOpIVY86 posted...
If it sells and developers support it, I'll be taking the plunge.
I've got a One S and a 4k monitor for my computer.
Gaming isn't that impressive but I didn't expect it to be.
What is impressive is watching a 4k blu ray and stuff on Netflix in 4k.
Absolutely stunning and that's without HDR.

Doing my homework on it, I think a Vizio m series set might be it.
55inch at Target for $700, 4k, supports both HDR10 and Dolby vision.

I got my first HDTV because of the 360....12 years later, it might happen again.
I'm inching to jump....anyone else?

If I were you I'd make sure to get a tv that has or will have HDR10+ since Microsoft partnered up with Samsung and (the latter) are pushing HDR10+ to compete with Dolby Vision. I've no doubt that X will receive an update next year to add in support.

It's not quite as good as DV but is superior to HDR10. Also HDMI 2.1 (should be on tv's starting next year) would maybe be not a bad idea either since X will support it from launch.

User Info: ChaosXero

ChaosXero
3 months ago#5
https://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

Am I the only one who barely notices a difference with 4K tv? I got a 55 and me and my friends see the same s*** when its 4k or 1080p. I looked up online for answers and it turns out you supposedly need a big sized 4K Tv and to sit really close to it to even notice anything. I got it for Black Friday for cheap so it doesn't really matter but don't see the hype.

--
yo
--

User Info: Reflex-Arc

Reflex-Arc
3 months ago#6
ChaosXero posted...

Am I the only one who barely notices a difference with 4K tv? I got a 55 and me and my friends see the same s*** when its 4k or 1080p. I looked up online for answers and it turns out you supposedly need a big sized 4K Tv and to sit really close to it to even notice anything. I got it for Black Friday for cheap so it doesn't really matter but don't see the hype.

--
yo
--

You're not the only one. Many people, including home theater enthusiasts, would argue that HDR is the more significant improvement in display tech over resolution. I can definitely see the improvement of UHD over 1080p, but HDR is really what draws me in. HDR10 is nice, but a well mastered Dolby Vision presentation is mind boggling-ly amazing.
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | Sound Card | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard

User Info: pobbes

pobbes
3 months ago#7
Developers are already supporting it though. Didn't MS say over 100 games are getting the X treatment?

User Info: jmf1

jmf1
3 months ago#8
Either way, $700 is not bad considering my first HDTV was $400 and only a 25" Samsung when I got it years ago when 360 came out. Adjusted for inflation I bet that today that would be like $500 or more. I know a person who dropped $2k on a 4K TV and it is pretty sweet but if we can get one for a third the price, and be guaranteed that the picture is pretty perfect, then I would suggest getting it even though something "better" will eventually come out pretty soon.

User Info: OmegaStriver

OmegaStriver
3 months ago#9
I bought a 55 inch Samsung ks8000 that offers 4k and hdr about 5 months ago due to a tv dying in my house.

Going from a great 1080 to a very good 4k is like going from a bad 720 to a good 1080.

I definitely notice a difference and appreciate it but you may not. With my 55 I sit around 8 feet away and can notice the improvements easily.

I can't speak regarding improvements to Xbox titles as I game on a PS4 Pro but can share some benefits of hdr I've experienced.

Trying to keep this short I'll just speak on two games and how HDR alters them for me.

Uncharted 4. While playing in SDR the Sun and clouds are pretty but typical from what you would expected from a AAA game. In SDR there is an overall technical cloudiness that looks like it is from the tv's brightness. HDR does away with the artificial cloudiness and gives the Sun an a new level of brightness that changes how the clouds appear. You can see the Sun reflecting on the backside of the clouds. Very impressive. If you crank up the backlight and in-game brightness the Sun can actually start to be a little difficult to look at. Like looking at a flashlight.

Infamous Second Son. Standing on a building at sunset with SDR the Sun, sky, clouds and Sun beams all have a faded but yellow a orange look to them. with HDR on the colors get richer with a range of red, pink, orange, yellow. A pretty big difference.

One big negative of HDR is setting it up properly and this changes tv to tv. I'll not go into the details but state I feel tv movies and shows need dynamic contrast on but games don't as they have in game brightness that is adjustable. Figuring this out has taken some lengthy trial an error for me.
Gaming since 87.

User Info: Kalibak

Kalibak
3 months ago#10
ChaosXero posted...

--
yo
--

BY
GEOFFREY MORRISON
NOVEMBER 22, 2015 5:36 PM PST
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. The performance of the Xbox One X will determine how soon I get a 4k set.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived