The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro head to head - the facts

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro head to head - the facts

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
4 weeks ago#1
In this thread, we just take the non-subjective, cold calculated facts - numerical data of just how the two machines stack up against one another.

CPU POWER

Xbox One X: Octa-core processor, 8 x86 bespoke, custom cores running at 2.3ghz (with the option to overclock to 2.5ghz).

PS4 Pro: Octa-core processor, 8 x86-64 standard Jaguar cores running at 2.1ghz.

THIS MEANS: The Xbox One X seems to have the modest edge on paper, but it's the custom nature of the cores that aids the efficiency here. The ability of have them overclock modestly boosts the power further. A small plus to the Xbox One X.

XBOX ONE X = 10% STRONGER THAN PS4 PRO.

MEMORY

Xbox One X: 12 GB DDR 5 RAM.
PS4 Pro: 8 GB DDR 5 RAM.

THIS MEANS: The Xbox One X has a significant boost in RAM, meaning it will see a lot of faster loading times, and, more importantly, smoothing out of framerate peaks. In addition, the memory sported by the Xbox One X has a bandwidth of 326GB/s. The Pro, in comparison, is restricted to 218GB/s - something that significantly enhances the RAM's efficiency further.

XBOX ONE X = 65% STRONGER THAN PS4 PRO.

GPU

Xbox One X: GPU Clock Speed 1172MHz
PS4 Pro: GPU Clock Speed 800MHz

THIS MEANS: the GPU clock speed indicates how the rapidly the machine can manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images. Simply put, the faster your GPU is, the quicker the images (and the elements that compose them) can be displayed. The Xbox One X's GPU has been likened to that of a GeForce GTX 1070, so it's no slouch, sitting firmly in the upper third of the available graphics cards available for PCs now, unlike the PS4 Pro's - one more akin to a GeForce GTX 970.

XBOX ONE X = 47% STRONGER THAN PS4 PRO.

WILD CARDS

Xbox One X: Plays 4K/UHD BluRays
PS4 Pro: VR Support

WHAT THIS MEANS: Though Xbox One owners can stream their games on an Oculus Rift, the PS4 has a true VR experience via PS4 VR, if you have purchased a headset. On the PS4 Pro, frame rate anomalies are less prominent. However, the Xbox One X allows you to play UHD Blu Rays, something the PS4 Pro cannot do.

PRICE

Xbox One X: £449
PS4 Pro: £359

WHAT THIS MEANS: The Xbox One is definitely more expensive, but it's an amalgamation of a lot more custom building and bespoke parts created for a specific purpose than Sony's PS4 Pro - a console which, at a glance, appears more as a stopgap in terms of specifications.

XBOX ONE IS 25% MORE EXPENSIVE.

If you take a look at the numbers, you can work out for yourself whether or not the increases versus the PS4 Pro make that 25% worth it. They're just numbers - cold, hard facts without any subjective bias, so to disagree with them is something based on personal bias or preference, not adherence to the laws of 2>1.

That, my dearest XB Board posting buds, is entirely your own choice, and you are welcome to it. I'm sure you'll make the choice that's right for each of you all, respectively.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: Masamune_6969

Masamune_6969
4 weeks ago#2
The Xbox One X's gpu is likened to be more like a GTX 1070, not a GTX 980.

The PS4 Pro's gpu is likened to be more like a GTX 970, not a GTX 480.

Those two points on your list are not correct but I agree with the rest. In the end, even Microsoft claims that overall, the Xbox One X is 40% stronger than any other console (they're talking about PS4 Pro there).

It's a nice machine that's more powerful than PS4 Pro and even Sony fanboys won't say otherwise. Facts are facts. Games are a whole other story!

I did pre-order Scorpio Edition and am really looking forward to it.

User Info: bojangles22

bojangles22
4 weeks ago#3
Posting in future pony meltdown topic.
"All one of them has to do is outperform the other on a multiplat.
No moved goalposts for me--whichever one outperforms the other wins." Quincy2000a

User Info: djwagon

djwagon
4 weeks ago#4
hey tc in the year 2019 there is a rumor going around the more powerful then the x1x ps5 will be launched
Gamefaqs. the place were grammar/english/typing is more important then talking about video games .people attack me for that reason PRICELESS. ok by OTACON120

User Info: Discharged19DCS

Discharged19DCS
4 weeks ago#5
djwagon posted...
hey tc in the year 2019 there is a rumor going around the more powerful then the x1x ps5 will be launched

Relevance?

SigmaLongshot
4 weeks ago#6
Masamune_6969 posted...

Those two points on your list are not correct but I agree with the rest. In the end, even Microsoft claims that overall, the Xbox One X is 40% stronger than any other console (they're talking about PS4 Pro there).

It's a nice machine that's more powerful than PS4 Pro and even Sony fanboys won't say otherwise. Facts are facts. Games are a whole other story!

Just going by what some PC gaming sites have been reporting - it's really close, mate:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2085/playstation-4-gpu

However, it's a fairly even split if you look at it this way. But I appreciate the input.

User Info: BigLongDowner

BigLongDowner
4 weeks ago#7
Faster loading times and smoother framerates are the two things I'm looking foward to when I get my X1X in November.

Dark Souls 3 will definitely benefit in this case. That Dancer fight was a bit rough when it slowed down.
GT - Typ3 O Negativ3
PSN - BigLongDowner

User Info: Masamune_6969

Masamune_6969
4 weeks ago#8
SigmaLongshot posted...
Masamune_6969 posted...

Just going by what some PC gaming sites have been reporting - it's really close, mate:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2085/playstation-4-gpu

However, it's a fairly even split if you look at it this way. But I appreciate the input.

http://wccftech.com/ps4-pro-performance-equivalent-900pc/

If you scroll down, it says PS4 Pro's Nvidia card equivalency is approximately a GTX 970.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/58011/ark-dev-xbox-one-pc-gtx-1070-16gb-ram/index.html

And here it confirms that Xbox One X's Nvidia gpu equivalency is approximately a GTX 1070.

User Info: urmie

urmie
4 weeks ago#9
Plus:

Every single non-enhanced game will do the following on Xbox One X:

*Forced 16x AF
*Forced v-sync
*Brute forcing performance to reach target frame rate more often (or 100% of the time)
*Brute forcing performance to reach target resolution in dynamic resolution scenarios more often (or 100% of the time)
*Leverage the extra and plentiful GDDR5 RAM to improve load times

Every single Xbox One X enhanced game will downsample to 1080p (if the enhanced resolution is more than 1080p) for people with 1080p sets

Edit: Adding sources:
https://www.gamepur.com/feature/27217-xbox-one-x-1080p-tv-benefits.html
https://www.onmsft.com/news/should-you-buy-an-xbox-one-x-even-with-a-1080p-tv-reddit-user-compiles-list-of-benefits
Facts don't care about your feelings.

SigmaLongshot
4 weeks ago#10
urmie posted...
Plus:

Every single non-enhanced game will do the following on Xbox One X:

*Forced 16x AF
*Forced v-sync
*Brute forcing performance to reach target frame rate more often (or 100% of the time)
*Brute forcing performance to reach target resolution in dynamic resolution scenarios more often (or 100% of the time)
*Leverage the extra and plentiful GDDR5 RAM to improve load times

Every single Xbox One X enhanced game will downsample to 1080p (if the enhanced resolution is more than 1080p) for people with 1080p sets

I cross-referenced your information with some of the PC forums and it seems they're not quite unanimous, but I can't tell the biased from the informative there. But you're right, the information skews towards what you've said, and I'm humble enough to accept error on my own data.

I've updated the original post to reflect the information of the majority - it doesn't affect a lot, however.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro head to head - the facts

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived