How many miles big is the biggest open world game map in a game...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. How many miles big is the biggest open world game map in a game...

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
4 weeks ago#11
Excluding games like Elite Dangerous or No Man's Sky that have entire galaxies (Elite at least has a 1:1 scale Milky Way and NMS has at least 256 smaller galaxies that still have billions of stars and planets each) it'd be Minecraft, Fuel, or Daggerfall.

User Info: Bumbleoni

Bumbleoni
4 weeks ago#12
Starbound is another pretty huge game
GT: Bumbleoni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RaLEVmuM4o

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
4 weeks ago#13
da_StoOge posted...
I'm pretty sure Daggerfall is 100 times Skyrim.

Daggerfall is a little over 4200 times the size of Skyrim. Daggerfall is ~62,390 square miles and Skyrim is almost ~15 square miles

User Info: codman4

codman4
4 weeks ago#14
Rand_Aybara posted...
Excluding games like Elite Dangerous or No Man's Sky that have entire galaxies (Elite at least has a 1:1 scale Milky Way and NMS has at least 256 smaller galaxies that still have billions of stars and planets each) it'd be Minecraft, Fuel, or Daggerfall.

I think this is the answer.

User Info: jon davis

jon davis
4 weeks ago#15
The maps of Just Cause 2 & 3 are also pretty vast.
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
4 weeks ago#16
Isn't Minecraft infinite?
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

User Info: TrickyPony

TrickyPony
4 weeks ago#17
yeoldegamer posted...
Ghost Recon Wildlands is HUGE.

on a galactic scale, Elite Dangerous would be your best bet with over 400 billion star systems and after being out over 2 years now, the amount of 'discovered' worlds is only something like 0.13% of them all.

If you climb in a helicopter and start at one of the corners and travel across the map you could calculate the map size. The heli gives you a speedometer reading, all you would need to do is time it and you should have a pretty accurate scale.

I forgot about games like Elite Dangerous, those are probably easily the biggest but should be excluded since it's largely pointless other than to show the vastness of space, plus its a 3D medium.

On Xbox 360, Sacred 2 had a map that if you traveled on foot diagonally across the map without stopping and maintaining as straight a line as possible, something you could reliably do since you could check your map and follow the fog-of-war and keep it straight as possible, someone said it took 6 real life hours to traverse. That was pretty gargantuan.
This topic is taking the word s*** bucket to a whole 'nother level!!!!
-Sasquatch8080

User Info: Foppe

Foppe
4 weeks ago#18
Daggerfall took one realtime week to walk from edge to edge.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC

User Info: dannyaq

dannyaq
4 weeks ago#19
United_States posted...
I never understand how you can put a mile/kilometer measurement to a game world. I guess you would need some type of transportation in the game that goes a set speed. Then you can see how long it takes to go from one end of the map to the other end (in a straight line with no obstacles). But a lot of games don't have speedometers on their horses and stuff. And GTA or Forza Horizon don't really let you just drive in a straight line across the whole map.

I think generally, it's compared to the size of a human character. so if a character is set to 5 foot 9 inches or whatever that's what's used as the basis for scale.
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't

User Info: natevines

natevines
4 weeks ago#20
Never would've guessed FFXV would be #1 (excluding procedurally generated worlds). Interesting.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. How many miles big is the biggest open world game map in a game...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived