Is Best Buy even trying to compete with GameStop in terms of used games??

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Is Best Buy even trying to compete with GameStop in terms of used games??

User Info: Cubby

Cubby
3 weeks ago#11
spartain117 posted...
Then who else besides local game stores and Play N Trade (I don't have either of those stores where I live) are going to compete with GameStops in terms of used games? I believe Walmarts selection of used games is putrid too.

Vintage Stock. The main problem though with used games, in places like Wal Mart, etc. is they do not live completely off games, if they did, or if like Vintage Stock they lived off a lot of previously used things, then they would have the selection, but most people going into Target, Wal Mart, or Best Buy are not looking for used video games, as thus these companies probably make little money off these compared to new games, and the bargain barrels of games(Which are also mainly new) for 20 bucks or less, why buy used games from these places when if you wait long enough, you can get new ones for the same price, or cheaper.

User Info: Iron_Legion27

Iron_Legion27
3 weeks ago#12
shotgunheadshot posted...
Buying used games is very healthy for the industry, it's makes it so everyone can access games without buying new. Developers don't need money they already got paid they really should encourage people to buy used games more.

The developers actually get paid from game sales and DLC. But they also get paid for working on the game prior to release as well.
PSN ID- bgwarmachine18
Xbox Live Gamertag- ShadowBoXer30

User Info: StaticPenguin

StaticPenguin
3 weeks ago#13
Best Buy doesnt need to. They also sell movies, music, phones, tvs, appliances, etc.

User Info: extanker

extanker
3 weeks ago#14
Buying used games is very healthy for the industry, it's makes it so everyone can access games without buying new. Developers don't need money they already got paid they really should encourage people to buy used games more.

You don't really have a firm grasp on economics. The developers already got paid? Where do you think that money comes from? They rely on the profits from the game they just worked on. If they don't sell new games, they don't make money. No money means no new games.

I don't care if you buy used games, I do on occasion too. But the idea that selling used games is healthy for the industry is a joke.

StaticPenguin
3 weeks ago#15
extanker posted...

You don't really have a firm grasp on economics. The developers already got paid? Where do you think that money comes from? They rely on the profits from the game they just worked on. If they don't sell new games, they don't make money. No money means no new games.

I don't care if you buy used games, I do on occasion too. But the idea that selling used games is healthy for the industry is a joke.

Pretty sure a developer gets paid by a Publisher. Yes, they certainly get paid from the money made from game sales but the Publisher is where the all the money from video game sales go and then it just trickles down from there.

User Info: -Lo-

-Lo-
3 weeks ago#16
Not to all, but I don't know anyone who'd actually buy used games when new games are so much cheaper. Plus you don't have to deal with how the average gamer treats media.

extanker
3 weeks ago#17
StaticPenguin posted...
extanker posted...

Pretty sure a developer gets paid by a Publisher. Yes, they certainly get paid from the money made from game sales but the Publisher is where the all the money from video game sales go and then it just trickles down from there.

Yes, and if the publisher doesn't make money, do I need to explain what happens to the developer?

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
3 weeks ago#18
extanker posted...
StaticPenguin posted...
extanker posted...

Yes, and if the publisher doesn't make money, do I need to explain what happens to the developer?

As a game developer, pretty much this.

The money from the overlord disappears? The work stops. Basic common sense.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

StaticPenguin
3 weeks ago#19
extanker posted...
StaticPenguin posted...
extanker posted...

Hey man I'm not disagreeing with you.

extanker
3 weeks ago#20
StaticPenguin posted...
extanker posted...
StaticPenguin posted...
extanker posted...

Hey man I'm not disagreeing with you.

Ok haha, guess I got a little confused but I'll take your word for it! ;-)
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Is Best Buy even trying to compete with GameStop in terms of used games??

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived