Forget 4K HDR, are you set up for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Forget 4K HDR, are you set up for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?

User Info: GalvatronType_R

GalvatronType_R
3 weeks ago#1
To me, great spatial high rez audio is just as good, if not better than great high rez graphics.

Even though I only have the upward firing ceiling bounce speakers for now, Atmos and DTS:X movies sound great via my Marantz SR7010 and Definitive Technology 5.1.4 setup.

The X is already confirmed to support sound object spatial audio in games and I cannot wait to hear the dome of sound when gaming on the X.
"Knowing what we know, we can't figure out how the GT-R goes around the Nurburgring so fast." - Lucca Torre, Scuderia Ferrari

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
3 weeks ago#2
That's pretty exciting. I love my sound system but I would like to upgrade my receiver to Atmos, get an amp for my front two speakers, and get a nice pair of tower speakers and however many more speakers I would need for Atmos. Just the tower speakers and a nice amp to drive them will be about $1700. So to upgrade to Atmos would be an additional $1000+ just for the receiver, and I have no idea what speakers to get for the ceiling sound.
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
3 weeks ago#3
Bought the Dolby atmos thingy on the MS store for windows and Xbox so I can experience 3d audio through my headphones. Sounds great. Was about £13, I think it's about $15.
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
3 weeks ago#4
robert43s posted...
Bought the Dolby atmos thingy on the MS store for windows and Xbox so I can experience 3d audio through my headphones. Sounds great. Was about £13, I think it's about $15.

I was disappointed with that. Maybe I didn't get the full version, or maybe they updated it, but for me the volume was very low. It should have the potential to be amazing, the magic that makes the surround sound is programming, not the hardware. So if there's a way to run that audio to a descent amp other than the DAC on the controller then it has the potential to be better.
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

User Info: GTAcrazy

GTAcrazy
3 weeks ago#5
CapwnD posted...
robert43s posted...

I was disappointed with that. Maybe I didn't get the full version, or maybe they updated it, but for me the volume was very low. It should have the potential to be amazing, the magic that makes the surround sound is programming, not the hardware. So if there's a way to run that audio to a descent amp other than the DAC on the controller then it has the potential to be better.

They need to update the games with support for it to work.
For now only those videos on the app show what it does.
GamerTag: Major Sousa

User Info: Beasthunt

Beasthunt
3 weeks ago#6
My tv has Dolby Atmos and it is great. Sadly I do not believe the sound bar that came with the tv has it though. I've not seen any Dolby Vision content yet to compare it to the hit or miss HDR.

Apparently Netflix has some but it's only through Chromecast or something?
Gamertag: Beasthunt, PSN: Beasthunt, Steam: Beasthunt
Acts 2:38

User Info: DirkMcGurkin

DirkMcGurkin
3 weeks ago#7
Beasthunt posted...
My tv has Dolby Atmos and it is great. Sadly I do not believe the sound bar that came with the tv has it though. I've not seen any Dolby Vision content yet to compare it to the hit or miss HDR.

Apparently Netflix has some but it's only through Chromecast or something?

I don't think you get any benefit of Atmos with TV speakers or a sound bar. Don't you need a multi-speaker setup and at least one speaker in the ceiling?
Gamertag: Dirk McGurkin

User Info: Masamune_6969

Masamune_6969
3 weeks ago#8
I've got the Marantz SR7011 and Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers ready and waiting for Xbox One X Scorpio Edition.

I can't wait!

User Info: MetalZoic

MetalZoic
3 weeks ago#9
Marantz Sr5009 with Martin Logans around for me. No Atmosphere for me unless they can push out an update to it which I doubt.

More importantly it doesn't support Hdcp 2.2.
Do any of you know if it's needed for gaming, or will games still output in 4k without it? I'm hoping it's only necessary for video.

User Info: stevieb1234567

stevieb1234567
3 weeks ago#10
People are so set on graphics but for me its always been the sound...Awesome sound just omg i cant even describe it...Thats a big reason i always preferred battlefield over cod....The amazing sound
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Forget 4K HDR, are you set up for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived