Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

User Info: ZDT_Leader

ZDT_Leader
2 months ago#1
Legit question. I buy both digital and physical depending on what game it is. (I’m a sucker for steel cases and such), but I also own plenty of digital games.

Why are they the same price..?
LoL IGN/Gamertag: Zerochronic
R.I.P Mom..Aug 30th, 2007

User Info: Mario786

Mario786
2 months ago#2
Because undercutting physical retail stores will negatively impact their partnerships.

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
2 months ago#3
You're paying for the license, not the delivery method.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)

User Info: Squitchy

Squitchy
2 months ago#4
Retail stores compete with each other.
That's my secret, Gamefaqs. I'm always triggered.

User Info: genesis145

genesis145
2 months ago#5
Well one factor is with digital you can download it as many times as you want on however many backup devices as you want. That alone warrants the same price as physical seeing as if you lose or somehow mess up your disc you can't just go get another copy. The literal ONLY downside to digital (that I can think of) is not being able to resell. But if you don't care about reselling then that doesn't matter.

User Info: kennyynnoo

kennyynnoo
2 months ago#6
Mario786 posted...
Because undercutting physical retail stores will negatively impact their partnerships.
Ps4/x1/pc
Don't pick a side, you sound poor if you do.

User Info: Strav23

Strav23
2 months ago#7
kennyynnoo posted...
Mario786 posted...

This, while MS, Sony, and Nintendo prefer to not deal with retail there is still too much demand for physical.
*Browncoats* "I aim to misbehave" - Malcom Reynolds

User Info: dogwarrior

dogwarrior
2 months ago#8
Strav23 posted...
kennyynnoo posted...
Mario786 posted...

This, while MS, Sony, and Nintendo prefer to not deal with retail there is still too much demand for physical.

This. Also while they don't make all the games themselves, they do make the consoles and accessories. They need the floor space to advertise. If retailers feel they aren't profiting they reduce available aisle space which would impact sales of the consoles.
Steam- SonofClap | PSN - AstrayDream | XBL - AstrayRED JG | 3570K - GTX 1080Ti

User Info: chip1289

chip1289
2 months ago#9
Greed plain and simple there is zero legit reason they are the same. Actually digital is more compared to best buy GCU
Have an ever growing ignore list on trollfaqs

User Info: ZDT_Leader

ZDT_Leader
2 months ago#10
I get that but still doesn’t make a lot of sense to me personally.
LoL IGN/Gamertag: Zerochronic
R.I.P Mom..Aug 30th, 2007
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived