Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

User Info: G_U_G

G_U_G
2 months ago#31
ZDT_Leader posted...
Legit question. I buy both digital and physical depending on what game it is. (I’m a sucker for steel cases and such), but I also own plenty of digital games.

Why are they the same price..?

They are not the same price. At least not anyplace i buy. Physical is generally cheaper. Unless you factor in game sharing.

You might think it is "retail partners" but those same partners will tell you they cannot lower price of digital themselves even on their own store front.

User Info: GTAcrazy

GTAcrazy
2 months ago#32
Discharged19DCS posted...
In the uk, digital games are considerably more expensive than physical.

For example. A new release is often £55-60 digital whereas I can always find physical for about £40 or lower on release. I'd much rather go digital but the price difference is just too much.

Same here. Physical releases are usually R$20-40 cheaper than then digital versions.
I only get digital when there's a really good sale.
GamerTag: Major Sousa

User Info: Rings

Rings
2 months ago#33
agentspoon posted...
GinsuVictim posted...
agentspoon posted...
GinsuVictim posted...
Marshall_Law posted...
It's kinda like getting a cheeseburger at McDonald's, it a dollar, if you get that same burger with no pickles or onions,, it's still a dollar.

I haven't had a burger from McDonald's since the 80's.

Now I want a burger

Just not a McDonald's burger. There's a reason I've avoided them since then.

My stomach says "Yes Spoon, a McD's burger...you miss Big Macs" but my brain says "Nah, f*** that bro, make one your self with beef tomatoes, extra mature cheddar, Angus burgers, caramelised onions..."

Now I REALLY want a burger.

Now I want a burger.
Xbox One S (Blue Limited Edition)
Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40gHz / 16GB RAM / GeForce GTX 960

User Info: MRL3G3ND

MRL3G3ND
2 months ago#34
greed

you cut out basically all expenses
manufacturing
packaging
shipping
warehousing
retail

You are basically selling air, and getting $65 for it.
People who bought fallout 4 digital, paid the same amount I paid, except I got a box to display on my shelf, and a cool Vault-tec poster
The Beauty of Fallout 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXWI8jil6mg

User Info: SoulTrapper

SoulTrapper
2 months ago#35
Because people are willing to pay the same price.

Everything else, like not damaging partnerships with retailers etc, is just icing on the cake.

If people are willing to pay 60 regardless of whether or not there are extra costs involved like making cases and shipping, why would they charge less?

User Info: agentspoon

agentspoon
2 months ago#36
@Rings

I'd make you a burger Bro, it gets boring cooking for faceless people you never see.
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
2 months ago#37
When people decry parties for being "greedy", the greed is usually on the side of the retailer.

As I've outlined in post #18, the retailer usually has a laundry list of demands that the publisher has to abide by in order to secure solid sales.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: daniel79

daniel79
2 months ago#38
Because f*** you, gimme money.

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
2 months ago#39
dogwarrior posted...
Strav23 posted...
kennyynnoo posted...
Mario786 posted...
Because undercutting physical retail stores will negatively impact their partnerships.

This, while MS, Sony, and Nintendo prefer to not deal with retail there is still too much demand for physical.

This. Also while they don't make all the games themselves, they do make the consoles and accessories. They need the floor space to advertise. If retailers feel they aren't profiting they reduce available aisle space which would impact sales of the consoles.

This is the true reason. throw in a little bit of greed as well because it's easy for them to fall back on this reason. They wont try to change this unless there is and incentive for them to still get full price on digital sells
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
2 months ago#40
agentspoon posted...
@CapwnD

You don't use caramelised onions for flavour, you use them as a base to keep the meat or tomato juice away from the bread so it does not go soggy. The tastelessness is supposed to be there.

You had the wrong person. Corrected.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived