Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

User Info: AnonymousFriend

AnonymousFriend
2 months ago#91
ZDT_Leader posted...
I coulda swore I posted this but I guess not..

I can KINDA get game developers doing this practice but not the big 3 (as in consoles). They could sell the game on their console/one site for cheaper and what are the brick and mortar stores gonna do..? They don’t really need to impress the stores as you don’t buy a console cas you happen to be in walmart and were like “there there viddya game system looks neato. Imma get it now!” We’ll, I can’t say that doesn’t happen but yeah.

Majority of console is due to you’re overal favorite,word of mouth and tv/online ads. I really don’t think brick and mortar stores would stop selling consoles cas that’s good money so there really isn’t much they can do.

The answer to my above dilemma is easy though.. why wouldn’t they want more money? Sure that’s true, but more people would be willing to take the plunge if it’s was 10 dollars cheaper digital than physical.

Retailers hate high ticket items and they hate things that take up a lot of space. They also hate items that have a swift depreciating value. That's video games. They tolerate it because of lucrative agreements and partnerships they've made. They are more than happy to get rid of their videogames section. Heck, I recently walked into our local Sears and it was regulated to two shelves.

Also, your idea is stupid. If console manufacturers decided to cut retailers out of first party games and upset them, where will the console manufacturers sell their consoles?
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend

User Info: ZDT_Leader

ZDT_Leader
2 months ago#92
AnonymousFriend posted...
ZDT_Leader posted...

I can KINDA get game developers doing this practice but not the big 3 (as in consoles). They could sell the game on their console/one site for cheaper and what are the brick and mortar stores gonna do..? They don’t really need to impress the stores as you don’t buy a console cas you happen to be in walmart and were like “there there viddya game system looks neato. Imma get it now!” We’ll, I can’t say that doesn’t happen but yeah.

Majority of console is due to you’re overal favorite,word of mouth and tv/online ads. I really don’t think brick and mortar stores would stop selling consoles cas that’s good money so there really isn’t much they can do.

The answer to my above dilemma is easy though.. why wouldn’t they want more money? Sure that’s true, but more people would be willing to take the plunge if it’s was 10 dollars cheaper digital than physical.

Retailers hate high ticket items and they hate things that take up a lot of space. They also hate items that have a swift depreciating value. That's video games. They tolerate it because of lucrative agreements and partnerships they've made. They are more than happy to get rid of their videogames section. Heck, I recently walked into our local Sears and it was regulated to two shelves.

Also, your idea is stupid. If console manufacturers decided to cut retailers out of first party games and upset them, where will the console manufacturers sell their consoles?
Amazon, eBay, their own websites. Hell, I got my One from amazon for a cheaper price than any retailer around. Also, I don’t believe brick and mortar stores would block out sales entirely. That’s money loss for them.
LoL IGN/Gamertag: Zerochronic
R.I.P Mom..Aug 30th, 2007

AnonymousFriend
2 months ago#93
ZDT_Leader posted...
ZDT_Leader posted...

Amazon, eBay, their own websites. Hell, I got my One from amazon for a cheaper price than any retailer around. Also, I don’t believe brick and mortar stores would block out sales entirely. That’s money loss for them.

Compare the size of a online only seller to a Walmart or Sears or GameStop. Amazon has a huge frickin warehouse that's only purpose is to store crap. Plus they only have to deal with a extremely low amount of shortage. If something is stolen, it can only be employees.

AnonymousFriend
2 months ago#94
ZDT_Leader posted...
Also, I don’t believe brick and mortar stores would block out sales entirely. That’s money loss for them.

Sure but all that space can be allocated to a lot more stuff that is less expensive, doesn't need nearly as much security measures or shelfing, and they can probably make much more profit off of.

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
2 months ago#95
ZDT_Leader posted...
Also, I don’t believe brick and mortar stores would block out sales entirely. That’s money loss for them.

Sure but all that space can be allocated to a lot more stuff that is less expensive, doesn't need nearly as much security measures or shelfing, and they can probably make much more profit off of.

This is true. Another thing that we haven't touched upon is the enormous mark-up that GAME and other retailers make from second-hand copies of games.

You know how I said that the retailer can get great deals from the publisher for new games so they'll give their games more prominent shelf space in exchange for a bigger cut of the game sales (20-35% normally)?

The used percentage of profit has a margin of 55-70%, with nothing going to the publisher or developer. That is a stonking profit to make, so they'll naturally want to hammer you with "sure you don't want the used one, mate?" spiel.

But therein lies another complexity to the publisher-retailer tenuous alliance. If the publisher has made an extremely good deal with the retailer for new game sales cut, the retailer will disincentivise customers where the used version is concerned, sometimes overpricing them to nearly match the price of the new games and not pushing used copies at the till. This is a big boon to the publisher, because used games hurt their bottom line. If your publisher makes a great deal, not only does GAME or Gamestop or whoever display your games in an attractive, eye-level spot with standees and posters and a nice "Game of the Week" sticker, but they're less likely to push the used copies on customers too.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: ZDT_Leader

ZDT_Leader
2 months ago#96
ZDT_Leader posted...

Like what. They can put it in a locked shelf and not advertise. At sams club they don’t advertise the consoles at all. It’s in a locked cage with all the other expensive electronics. Which includes items that are Not Consoles. And they sell them cheaper. Albeit you do pay a monthly/yearly fee but that payment is small. It would still be a loss for them to not sell the console at all. Someone is always gonna be able to buy online. Why not try and get a sale through your store to get that extra buck?
LoL IGN/Gamertag: Zerochronic
R.I.P Mom..Aug 30th, 2007

AnonymousFriend
2 months ago#97
The electronics department of any store is filled with expensive product that takes a large amount of space. Whether out in the open for customers to see, or in the back areas for storage. And it's filled with a bunch of merchandise that doesn't really move either. Unless the specific item is new or on some sort if sale, it doesn't move often.

This is $60 video games and $30 movies. $300 consoles and $50 accessories. Next time you're in a store, look and see how much square footage they've devoted to games and compare to every other department. Electronics is the only department where a large majority of the stock will not sale regularly and they have constant markdowns of 75% or more.

Personally, I think they should have just gotten rid of games and either had voucher cards you redeem through the consoles online store, or had download stations to give customer's storage device a copy of the game. All of this would to take up way less space and be theft proof.

User Info: CapwnD

CapwnD
1 month ago#98
wildstrike1516
Can't Trade
Can't Resell
Can't Give Away
Tied to a User account so if something happens to it you could lose access to your game
Requires Internet to install
Can't Rent downloads to try a game first
Everything is controlled by the console manufacturer
Slow download speeds during high volume traffic times (it's taken me 12 hours to download a game before)

There are a lot of things that suck about digital sales.

I mean there are a lot of reasons digital purchases suck.

--Can't Trade -I don't trade. I keep my games.
--Can't Resell -I don't resell, I keep my games.
--Can't Give Away -I keep my games and I buy gifts either physically or digitally, whichever they prefer
--Tied to a User account so if something happens to it you could lose access to your game -Never been suspended or banned.
--Requires Internet to install - I'm on the internet always.
--Can't Rent downloads to try a game first - I haven't done that since like 1997
--Everything is controlled by the console manufacturer - ok. I'm not forced to wear a ball gag when I play the game.
--Slow download speeds during high volume traffic times (it's taken me 12 hours to download a game before) - sure. But It's never taken me that long to download a game. And if you buy it ahead of time it's usually preloaded. The convenience of buying a game digitally far, far, far outweighs that drawback.

How about the problems with physical?
--Rot
--Scratches
--Physical space
--taking collection to a friends house is more of a hassle
--midnight launch can be fun, but much easier to just download when it's out. Or preload
--digital gives you two copies of a game, essentially. With physical you need to buy two copies of the game if you're playing with your kid/spouse/significant other/sister/brother/whatever
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!

User Info: MertensCW

MertensCW
1 month ago#99
Digital is a bit of a ripoff for value and with dirtbags such as head of the FCC out to end Net Neutrality. Digital will make even less sense because your internet prices will go up, unless you want to stay in the designated slow lane-Lower DL cap or pay out of the ass for your current fast internet.
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
1 month ago#100
MertensCW posted...
Digital will make even less sense because your internet prices will go up, unless you want to stay in the designated slow lane-Lower DL cap or pay out of the ass for your current fast internet.

These days, physical titles require a ton of downloading as well.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Have they explained why digital games are the same price as physical?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived